home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Interesting 1964 generator? Or Wrong? Confirmation needed.
Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: March 13, 2017 02:46PM

Interesting. It would appear parts catalogs can be deceiving or I messed up. According to several catalogs, the commutator end frame (#1951434 is correct for a number of '61 - '64 Corvair generators). Same parts catalogs also list #1951438 drive end frame for '61 - '64. If study you study Nickshu's generator photo without pulley, it is the same as the one in my photo. So either I have photos depicting '63 or earlier (smaller diameter guarded pulley) or Nickshu really does have '64 generator with mismatched parts. Parts books also show #1102336 generators were available from 1961 to 1964. It would appear there truly is separate versions for entire '64 model year as photo displays here (again, catalogs list both part numbers for earlier Corvairs):

Chet in Ramona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2017 02:51PM by vairchet.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: March 13, 2017 03:27PM

I think that the parts catalog list parts that were interchangeable...you could interchange end frames in various configurations 61-64 but that does not mean it was factory correct for 1964 for example.

Vairchet I believe that the drive end frame on my original generator is a 61-63 style and the one you have pictured above is the correct one for 1964. The above pair would rotate the housing so the terminals are towards the rear.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/US Navy Veteran
Other cars: 2003 Porsche 996.2 Carrera; Boring daily drivers; 2005 Lotus Elise supercharged (SOLD); 1982 Porsche 911SC (SOLD)
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: March 13, 2017 04:39PM

Nichshu,

I believe you're correct. Large diameter drive end frame does feature an ability to clock generator terminals either straight up or to the rear. You will need a matching pulley, the 5 3/4" one. The use of 3/8"-16 allen capscrews would be beneficial when installing in your car.

Chet in Ramona

Attachments:
Posted by: DAVECS1 ()
Date: March 13, 2017 04:58PM

So mine seems to be aftermarket or something

1964 Monza Convertible
110 4 speed
Peoria, IL

Date: March 13, 2017 04:59PM

1964 Monza Convertible
110 4 speed
Peoria, IL

Date: March 13, 2017 05:00PM

1964 Monza Convertible
110 4 speed
Peoria, IL

Date: March 13, 2017 05:01PM

1964 Monza Convertible
110 4 speed
Peoria, IL

Date: March 13, 2017 05:27PM

Dave that part number stamp looks like 1102226 which is a 61-63 car generator. The commutator end frame looks like a 61-63 two hole style.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Other cars: 2003 Porsche 996.2 Carrera; Boring daily drivers; 2005 Lotus Elise supercharged (SOLD); 1982 Porsche 911SC (SOLD)
Northern Colorado, USA

Date: March 13, 2017 08:10PM

Hey Nick,
Look at the engine photo in the thread Sleeping Beauty!

1964 original generator
engine has oil bath cleaner setup.
It all looks vairy original!

Dan Davis - Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ 65 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn (my current driver!!)
~ 1964 Monza 'Vert ~ 65 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black int ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4
1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: March 13, 2017 08:45PM

Cool Dan! Interesting how the tag is mounted in the lower position. What is the build date on the generator tag?

Nick
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: March 14, 2017 08:08PM

Both of the 64 Spyders I checked on today had the top terminals. But, one of them looked like the wiring harness was pulled apart slightly to get the wires to fit.

SO, my original answer was based on recent observations, but my subjects were already modified! Who would have thought after just 50+ years.confused smiley

I have no trouble with the large fan on 64s, I just use an impact wrench and take the pulley off before I R&R the generator. DO NOT put a screwdriver in the fan blades to hold it while using a regular wrench to remove the pulley nut. BTDT...angry smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: March 16, 2017 06:44PM

The picture that Dan posted above may show why GM moved the terminals to the rear on '64s. The picture shows the early style oil bath pre-cleaner but when they switched to the center mount air cleaner the oil bath canister moved over to the driver's rear corner. With the canister in the corner the air cleaner snorkel and hose would go right over the top of the terminals pointing up. So is this why they moved them to the rear?

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Date: March 17, 2017 04:51AM

RexJohnson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The picture that Dan posted above may show why GM
> moved the terminals to the rear on '64s. The
> picture shows the early style oil bath pre-cleaner
> but when they switched to the center mount air
> cleaner the oil bath canister moved over to the
> driver's rear corner. With the canister in the
> corner the air cleaner snorkel and hose would go
> right over the top of the terminals pointing up.
> So is this why they moved them to the rear?

Could be. That oil bath change to the left rear corner was a mid-year 1964 change according to the Stock Corvair Group. I have one on my Spyder.

All the documentation I have seen confirms that all 1964's came from the factory with rear pointing generator terminals. Crawford's input is probably correct, it was a totally new part number for the 1964 generator, and increased output to 35 amps from prior years, so it's unlikely that it was a mid-year change or that early cars had top terminals.

Frank DuVal,those Spyders you checked w/ top terminals, I wonder what the part numbers were on those generators? And what the end frames looked like? After 50+ years they were probably changed.

Nick
Northern Colorado, USA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2017 04:52AM by Nickshu.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.