Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Starter wanted
Posted by: mattlockwood ()
Date: March 08, 2017 04:16AM

Looking for a starter. 110 hp w/PG.

Please PM me. Thanks a lot.

needpart

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2018 12:43PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Starter wanted
Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: March 08, 2017 05:13AM

Since you give us no clue to your location IF you are in or near a town of any size you will find shops that rebuild starters/alternators/generators. Using someone local to you will save shipping costs too. Also is there a Corvair club near you?

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: March 09, 2017 02:21PM

Rather than send a PM as requested, I have posted the following so everyone can reference the information.

[www.corvairranch.com]

The Corvair Ranch shows them on their website for $120.00 plus a $75.00 core.

[www.corvair.com]

Clarks shows them in their catalog for $328.65 plus a $150.00 core.
Part number C2056NA: 61-9 PREMIUM REBUILT STARTER-W/SOLENOID *INCLUDES NEW ARMATURE & NEW FIELD COILS

[californiacorvairparts.com]

California Corvairs show them on their website for $140.00 but I saw no mention of a core charge. Part No. CC12111R

While I would strongly suggest supporting a Corvair Vendor that supports us, so they can continue to support us as time goes on, there is also flea bay.

[www.ebay.com]

Here is one for $95.00 outright with no core charge. It has an $18.00 shipping cost. The vendor has 100% feedback score and over 10,000 sales.

There are more from other vendors but this one struck me as as good as any.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2017 02:23PM by Caraholic4life.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: March 09, 2017 02:40PM

Location is always a GREAT idea in posts. Why people want to hide....

Location is important because there must be many starters out there ready to work. I see Corvair people throwing them away they are so many! Then one fails and hmm, what? They are $300?confused smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: March 09, 2017 03:20PM

I am keeping mine. I have the 3 on my vehicles that work. I also have 5 spare ones that work and 3 spares that failed to rotate with power applied. Half of them came off PG cars. No big deal with the bad ones. I can rework those 3 with all the info in this forum. These are my gold parts along with alternators I kept for my stock.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: March 09, 2017 03:37PM

Steve Goodman rebuilt mine many years ago. Oh and it still works just fine. And knowing him, it is probably still under warranty.

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: October 07, 2018 10:26AM

I was complaining recently that there was nothing like this thread anywhere in the forum. Glad I was wrong.

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA
- Member: Central Coast CORSA & South Coast CORSA
Former Member: Vintage CORSA Orange County. Member, ISA (Int. Screenwriter's Assn.), SAG Eligible, and Producer's Guild Aspirant

* Then: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red/1965 Monza 110 Purple/
1967 Monza 140 Red/1966 500 110 Black/1965 Monza 110 Yellow
* Now: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo Project. Blue, Blue/Beige interior.

"Chevrolet's Corvair was a maverick machine, a rear-engined renegade born out of spite and genius." -- Sports Car Graphic, August 1969

Date: October 07, 2018 10:43AM

Actually, here is a re-post of my recent rant that I tacked on to a 2014 thread. Might be of use to continue discussion.

Aside from rebuilding the old one, what some of us need is a resource for outright buying another--from an outside source.

I've searched and searched this forum, the other forum, and the FAQ's, but this is the only thread, via the OP by kawtoy and the part number with his question, that comes close to identifying anything technical about Corvair starters.

Even here, when he asked for another lower-cost option for buying starters, no one really answered him, they just recommended he stop looking and rebuild his own.

What about more than that? What about brands and sources? There's always eBay, but it's not a very reliable source because the inventory is always changing. Even so, if someone's not selling a specifically Corvair starter, or one would like to avoid the extravagant prices for a rebuilt that is often the case, what are some good brands for just buying and exchanging the nose cone? I found a lot on Amazon and at Summit Racing for instance that looked like they were the right one despite the nose cone, but is that the way to go?

After a couple of days of searching the internet I finally went with one on Ebay. Admittedly going with an EBay item kind of contradicts my rant, but I will provide a link to the seller as well as the same starter as the one I bought, because that will at least give people a good jumping off point. The guy that rebuilt the one I purchased (A1Truck) was a lot more reasonable than most people on eBay, by about half, and even with shipping he was still less than California Corvairs or Clarks.

1961-1969 Refurbished Starter for Corvair

Seller A1Truck on Ebay

So, what do you know about the original part numbers and manufacturers of Corvair starters? What would you go with if you were trying to replace yours with online vendors?

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA
Former Member: Vintage CORSA Orange County. Member, ISA (Int. Screenwriter's Assn.), SAG Eligible, and Producer's Guild Aspirant

"Chevrolet's Corvair was a maverick machine, a rear-engined renegade born out of spite and genius." -- Sports Car Graphic, August 1969

Date: October 07, 2018 12:46PM

Starter armature is Corvair only. It matches the length of the nose. Starter drive is also Corvair only.

Brushes are cheap. You can buy a nose with new bushing installed. Most larger cities have a rebuild shop for starters. Club members have extra spare starters squirreled away. What is the issue? Must not be an issue for most, as they are still throwing them in the scrap metal bin when a club member dies.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: October 07, 2018 03:57PM

You can add me to that list of suppliers and I am in MI.

Out of all the vendors listed Who is closest to you?

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: GWLee ()
Date: October 07, 2018 04:40PM

I had a starter rebuilt by a local shop that has been around for 40 or 50 years.
He still had parts for them and knew it was a corvair starter, as soon as I laid it down.

Only charged me 50 bucks and had it done in no time.

Just sqying!

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
In the Beautiful state of
North/East KY!

Not the best pic, but the only I had from then, 1997!

2016!

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: October 07, 2018 05:03PM

It's been a long time since I bought one, didn't seem near as costly as they are now but sometimes I don't remember. Anyway I bought a new small starter from Clark's and installed on my 64 and haven't touched it again. If I were to need one today and I plan to keep the car indefinitely I'd buy another new one if Clark's still sells them, If I just want to drive the car a short while then I'd probably repair my starter or try and find a good used one.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: October 07, 2018 07:09PM

Not called hoarding when you pick up several rusted out Vairs and strip them for their good parts. Storing good parts is not hoarding. Each owner should always be on the lookout for items that are wear and tear items and stock up a few just in case. Starters, alternators, coils, and points plates being a few items to have handy.

Now I could be considering hoarding about 40 LM engine cylinders, but there is no demand (or core value) for them, so they just might become pop art or Chinese tools here in the near future.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Date: October 07, 2018 07:33PM

99% of the Corvairs on the road are running the stock starter.thumbs up

C11114, if that's the one, they still sell them. Almost twice as much as a rebuilt stock one with all new electrical internals from Clarks.

With over 40 years experience with Corvairs, the starter is not a part I would worry about. Sure they fail, but usually just brushes and bushings. A new set and probably never touch it again. Sometimes solenoids go bad too, but very infrequently. Same solenoid used on lots of GM products since 12 volts became their standard. Usually just take the solenoid apart and reverse the terminals to expose new contact area to fix.thumbs up

Biggest issue with the starter is loose flywheel or worn teeth on ring gear causing starter nose breakage. This will cause any style starter to fail.

YMMV

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: October 07, 2018 08:46PM

Food for thought. Thanks.

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: October 08, 2018 08:37AM

playerpage: I just replied to your other thread
regarding starters. Since you are in southern
Calif you have vendor/shops and clubs near you for
most any Corvair part. Shipping fees should be
minimal OR attend the weekend gatherings and club
events and pick up for free. Plus I reminded you
of the Fan Belt Toss swap meet in Palm Springs at
the end of Oct.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: October 08, 2018 11:22AM

Thanks Steve,

I'm sorta in SoCal. 3 hours North. Also 3 hours East of San Luis Obispo. And 4 hours south of San Francisco.

I get those places when I can, like the Ageless to Anarchy event a few weeks back, but I'm still in the small kids stage, so showing up becomes difficult. Though I get to CC now and then.

I'm not too far from the San Joaquin Corvair club, and I have a guy in town that I am introducing to the joys of Corvair repair.

Thank you, I greatly appreciate it.

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA

Re: Starter wanted Eric and the Toss
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 08, 2018 11:38AM

Just 268 miles for you 4hr 30 min. Get a Club buddy or two and drive anything down... Leave Fri. am home Sat late PM and you won't miss anything.. and the wife will understand...

Many of us come over 1,000 miles..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: October 08, 2018 03:14PM

Check this out, plenty of info: [corvaircenter.com]

By the way, playerpage, if you're ever in the San Diego area, I have literally dozens of starters to pick through.

Chet in Ramona

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.