home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
How to Remove Rear Wheel Cylinder on LM?
Posted by: glivorsi ()
Date: March 06, 2017 07:09PM

I'm trying to replace the rear driver's side wheel cylinder on my '65. I've tried an assortment of wrenches and can't seem to get anything to grip. 3/8" is too large and 5/16" is too small. An 11/32 kind of fits but that won't grab it either. Is there a trick to getting these off? I have a new cylinder and the heavy duty bolts from Clarks so I'm okay if it's a destructive method.

I bought the car in '99 and never replaced them. The records from the PO show they were rebuilt in '96.

Greg in Wildwood, MO (part of the St. Louis urban sprawl)

1965 Monza Vert 110PG, Crocus Yellow with black interior and top

2006 Mazdaspeed 6
1997 Honda CBR1100XX

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to Remove Rear Wheel Cylinder on LM?
Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: March 06, 2017 07:21PM

Normal wrench is 3/8". Doubt the size is odd, probably someone in the past tried Harbor Freight tools.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: March 06, 2017 07:23PM

The 3/8 doesn't grab at all. It's a rust belt car. I'm guessing it's the original wheel cylinder and has just been honed in place every time.

2006 Mazdaspeed 6
1997 Honda CBR1100XX

Posted by: Paul Kehler ()
Date: March 06, 2017 07:27PM

Often, the bolts are rusted and someone has rounded off the heads. I use a special [short six point] wrench ...after soaking with WD-40! If they just won't release...I break them off with small vise gripes and throw everything away. ..new wheel cylinders and bolts.

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: March 06, 2017 07:32PM

On the LMs I scrapped, I used a small chisel and hammer on a couple that the heads had rounded. Snapped off fairly easily. Careful not to damage backing plate.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe, 180 hp 4 Spd
1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor
2015 Chevrolet Malibu

Posted by: chris ()
Date: March 06, 2017 07:50PM

It may not be the best method but instead of 3/8", I used a 10 mm six point.

'65 Monza 4 door
4 speed
110hp
Gardner, KS

Heart of America Corvair Owners Association

Posted by: dragvairclark ()
Date: March 07, 2017 03:45AM

Easiest way is to remove the nuts that hold the hub to the trailing arm and slide the hub out far enough to get a 6 point socket on the cylinder screws. Try hammering a metric socket on the screw heads if rounded off. When all else fails cut them off with a chisel or torch if you are replacing the cylinders.

Clark Hartzel, Fraser, MI
1965 Monza coupe

Posted by: igottajob2 ()
Date: March 07, 2017 05:53AM

I couldn't get mine off so I just honed the cylinder while on the car and got a rebuild kit. Check your cylinder, maybe it's not too pitted.

Minneapolis,MN

1965 500 Coupe
95HP

Built the 1st week of April of 65 at willow run.
500 coupe. The only factory accessory is a rear antenna.
White with a red interior.
Now black with black and red interior.

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: March 07, 2017 06:16AM

Al hit the bolt on the head!

Just take a chisel and hammer hit the heads and they shear off! problem solved. Replace cylinder and away you go.

I recommend doing both sides as there is the possibility of having uneven braking.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: curt ()
Date: March 07, 2017 03:52PM

I took a Dreml Tool and cut the nut. I used a carbon steel drill bit. worked fine. I replaced the wheel cylinders.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2017 03:52PM by curt.

Posted by: igottajob2 ()
Date: March 08, 2017 12:15PM

smileys with beer

Minneapolis,MN

1965 500 Coupe
95HP

Built the 1st week of April of 65 at willow run.
500 coupe. The only factory accessory is a rear antenna.
White with a red interior.
Now black with black and red interior.

Date: March 13, 2017 09:30AM

I finally got some time to work on my wheel cylinder. I was able to use the air chisel to cut the rear bolt head off. I couldn't get the air chisel to the front one because the coil spring was in the way. The spring also limited how well I could strike with a hammer but I was able to weaken it enough to break the bolt by prying the cylinder against the backing plate. The brake line was seized in there so I had to cut it. I will need to get a new brake line. I can get a 3/16" x 12" from FLAPS or get the prebent from Clarks. Is there any preference? The backing plate is pretty corroded and I'd like to blast and clean it and replace all of the hardware at some point. What is involved in removing the backing plate? Do I need to split the outer U joint and pull the hub assembly?

2006 Mazdaspeed 6
1997 Honda CBR1100XX

Attachments:
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: March 13, 2017 12:09PM

My opinion only, go to Clarks to get pre-bent lines. Make sure they know which size lines you have to the rear brakes. I didn't tell them and had to get the right ones shipped in second shipment.

Have to pull driveshaft loose from axle yoke and remove entire wheel bearing assembly with backing plate. Then you need to separate all the components to get backing plate off. Good time to check bearings and re-lube or replace. Special technique to set up rear axle bearings. Or buy a complete rebuilt set from someone experienced in rebuilding them like Ken Hand or Seth Emerson, There are more forum members that do it and based on your location, you can decide where to get them from due to weight and shipping costs.

Good time to renew driveshaft u-joints.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe, 180 hp 4 Spd
1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor
2015 Chevrolet Malibu

Posted by: 2ragtops ()
Date: March 13, 2017 12:22PM

Greg

By the line from flaps, very cheap and no shipping

Bend it yourself, if you have a bender. If not I do.

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1966 Corsa Convert 180 wood wheel tele-column am-fm sport steering posi-traction
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown V8 mounted mid-body temporarily red lined for repair
House Springs, Missouri

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: March 13, 2017 12:43PM

My preference:

Buy a length of Cunifer and make the line yourself. Yes, more work, but you WILL NEVER replace that line again! Summit Racing also carries stainless steel tube nuts so those won't be an issue either.

The little 12" line on late rears is always 3/16" size. it is the front to rear line that changes size from 65 to 66 or so.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: curt ()
Date: March 15, 2017 07:19AM

In used Clarks brake lines and gas lines. They were excellent. I also replaced the tank while doing front brake lines.

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: March 15, 2017 07:40AM

I loosened the 4 nuts holding the brake backing plate to the rear trailing arm. Then I had enough room to use a quarter inch drive 6 point Snap On socket. This was a non issue after doing this.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: March 15, 2017 02:58PM

If you are on a strict budget, good tools, experience, then bend your lines.

I've done my own, and frankly going with the preformed lines is a real time saver and most beginners end up buying a lot of line before they get it right. Cutting and flaring lines requires a GOOD tool, not the cheap HB stuff. So you don't really save much money unless your are experienced and have good tools.

Clark's now sells the stainless preformed lines. Don't expect them to be "perfect" as some minor adjustments will be needed.

Date: March 15, 2017 03:39PM

I bought the 12" straight line from my FLAPS. A coworker gearhead buddy of mine loaned me a tubing bender and I'm going to give it the college try in the next few days. I've done some tubing and conduit bending in the past so I have a bit of experience. Looking forward to the joy that is brake bleeding...

2006 Mazdaspeed 6
1997 Honda CBR1100XX

Date: March 19, 2017 12:42PM

I used the borrowed bender and finished my brake line yesterday. The wife helped me bleed out the brakes. I had to replace the master so I put all new hoses on and bled everything. Took her out for a drive for the first time in 3 months and it runs and stops beautifully. Doesn't pull at all under hard braking and no need to pump the pedal.

2006 Mazdaspeed 6
1997 Honda CBR1100XX

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.