Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
SOLD!!: 1966 Corsa Turbo Convertible - well optioned
Posted by: Sir Thomas ()
Date: March 03, 2017 06:15AM

Spring is virtually here, so of course it's time to buy a new CORVAIR CONVERTIBLE!

1966 Chevrolet Corvair Turbo Convertible
$12,600
VIN: 107676W173673
Thomas Ratliff
765-506-7479
Thomas.ratliff@indwes.edu
Marion, Indiana

Nice, but not perfect. Quite “showie”, but not a true show car.
This is a unique well-optioned driver quality top end Corvair that draws positive attention wherever it is driven. I’ve enjoyed taking it on drives, to cruise nights, Corvair club events and car shows, occasionally placing. This car presents itself well and is fun to drive.

Photos: [s877.photobucket.com]

I’ve owned this Corsa for 3 ½ years. I bought it from a gentleman in New Mexico, who obtained it from someone in Ohio about four years earlier. It is evident my Corsa has had a pampered life. The odometer reads 61,677 miles and is believed to be correct and original. The 180 horsepower factory turbocharged engine starts up fine, runs very smoothly and the turbo engages providing boost when expected. The factory gauges all work, with the exception of the clock. The doors, hood and trunk lid open and close very solidly, even when the car is on jack stands. The power convertible top operates perfectly. Some of the improvements or repairs that have been invested in the car during my ownership include:

Rebuilt brake master cylinder
Rebuilt YH carburetor
New Turbo Advance & Retard
Complete clutch assembly replacement
Engine wiring harness
Solenoid
Battery
Replaced rear springs
New heater hoses
New chrome armrest bases
Replaced trunk and engine rubber seals
BF Goodrich Radial T/As with raised white letters (Front P205/60R15, Rear P215/65R15)

The color combination matches factory original:
Tuxedo Black exterior
White interior
White convertible top

Factory Options on this car include:

Convertible
Turbo 180 HP engine
AM/FM radio
Tinted Glass – Windshield and sides
Power Convertible Top
Wood grained plastic steering wheel
Front bumper guards
Positraction Rear Axle
Remote exterior mirror
Trunk and Engine convenience lights
Factory Luggage rack
Matching front and rear seatbelts
4 classic T3 headlights

Some Key Body Tag Codes:
04B.......Build date April 1966, second week
66........1966 body
10767...Corsa convertible
WRN.....Willow Run, Michigan build location
795......Black/White interior
A-1......Tuxedo Black exterior
E..........Tinted glass in all windows
D.........Power convertible top
2R........Rear Speaker (speaker was no longer present when I bought the car)
4F........Convenience Group: outside left hand remote-control rearview mirror, engine and trunk courtesy lights
O.........Turbo engine

The not so good:
The paint reflects really well, but it is an older paint job with some scuffs, chips, and cracking in places.
A few rust bubbles are present at the bottoms of the front quarter panels and a few spots on the passenger door.
There is a strange 2” square patch repair that was done by one of the prior owners on the driver’s door.
There is a small wave in the metal below the rear license plate where I suspect the car was hit before.
The sunvisors are black.
There are some fluid leaks. Typical ‘Corvair’ level drips.
The front bumper and luggage rack could each use a rechrome. Perhaps some other chrome as well.
There is a small tear (about 1” V shaped) in the convertible top boot. The boot is otherwise quite nice.
Some gas is spills out if I fill the tank completely to the very top.

Note: The good seriously outweighs the bad, but I want the new owner to be aware of the car.

This car isn’t a perfect show quality car, but its price is a lot more attractive than some. Hagerty car values lists $13,600 for a #3 Good quality car. I’m asking $1,000 less than that and this car is easily nicer than just "good" in many ways. It is very original and carries the heritage of the highest breed Corvair. This car is going to make someone a proud owner. The car is located in Marion, Indiana. I am happy to assist in loading the car if you choose to use a shipper.

Contact Thomas Ratliff @ 765-506-7479 or Thomas.ratliff@indwes.edu to purchase this 1966 Corvair Corsa Turbo Convertible.

Thomas Ratliff
Abilene, Texas
'65 Fitch Sprint
ThomasMRatliff@GMAIL.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2017 01:04PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: For Sale: 1966 Corsa Turbo Convertible - well optioned
Posted by: 1STLM ()
Date: March 03, 2017 07:13AM

Someone is going to get an exceptional deal on a really nice car!

Brice

66 Corsa Turbo Convertible

Bozeman, Montana

Posted by: MtnVairMike ()
Date: March 03, 2017 08:09AM

Thomas,

Does that mean you found the other 66 Corsa you were looking for last October/November?

Thanks,

Mike

1966 Monza Convertible, 140HP-4 speed, Ermine White
1969 Monza Convertible, 110HP-PG, Frost Green

Black Mountain,NC

Others in the menagerie...
72 Corvette Stingray, 58K miles, owned since 87
72 MGB, 112K miles, bought from original owner in 09
78 Chevy pickup, 124K miles, bought new in 78
93 Corvette, LT1/6spd, 210K miles, daily driver since 96
02, Chevy Z71, 4x4, 93K miles, my Dad's truck, inherited 2021

Date: March 03, 2017 08:27AM

It does. I bought a car that isn't as factory stock as my Corsa turbo, so I won't feel regret in modifying it. I now have more Corvairs than garage space so I've tucked the new one into storage, preserving our home garage for our Fitch Sprint coupe project and for this '66 Corsa turbo convertible. So I'm looking for a really good home for the turbo. I trust someone will see my turbo convertible as an exciting find that can be immediately enjoyed with potential to continue becoming even more impressive.

Thomas Ratliff
Abilene, Texas
'65 Fitch Sprint
ThomasMRatliff@GMAIL.com

Posted by: FLAVert ()
Date: March 03, 2017 01:28PM

Looks to be worth every penny and then some. Wish I had the cash right now. Good luck with the sale!

Rick L.

Posted by: Christian ()
Date: March 03, 2017 06:31PM

Hi Thomas,

I just sent you a email regarding your Corsa. I havent posted here in a long time but always reading all the post. Very intersted in your Corsa.

Thanks

Date: March 03, 2017 08:29PM

Hi Christian. Thanks for sharing about your interest in my Corsa turbo convertible. I just sent you an email reply with more details.

Thomas Ratliff
Abilene, Texas
'65 Fitch Sprint
ThomasMRatliff@GMAIL.com

Date: March 04, 2017 03:43PM

Full price sale pending.

Thomas Ratliff
Abilene, Texas
'65 Fitch Sprint
ThomasMRatliff@GMAIL.com

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: March 05, 2017 10:49AM

Someone will be getting a pretty darned nice car. I know. I have seen this car in person at a few conventions and Homecomings.

Posted by: vwbusman66 ()
Date: March 05, 2017 11:21AM

This is a great example of why Corvairs make affordable collector cars.
For $12,600, someone is going to get a very, very clean and well-optioned convertible. To add to that, this is one of 585 turbo convertibles built in 66. A car of similarly low production in the world of front engines would be bringing 6 figures.

-------------
James Keller
Kingsville, MD (21087)
In memory of Bob Helt 1930-2018

Date: March 08, 2017 12:41PM

This car is now SOLD.

James, I agree that Corvairs being surprisingly affordable is one of their many attractive points. It may be noteworthy though that this particular one was sold for less than it was worth, primarily because the owner (me) has two other Corvair projects going right now and he was more focused on getting the funding needed to finish them up than he was on getting all he could out of this car. I had plenty of interest in this Corsa to have sparked a bidding war, which was certainly an attractive thought, but as a man of my word I sold it for the asking price to the first Corvair enthusiast to commit. In hind sight I should not have underestimated the value of my convertible. It is my hope that this sale does not diminish in any way the perceived value of other Corsa convertibles as this one was definitely sold for below value to ensure the sale was reasonably quick.

As I believe the car is now going to another good home (look for it in sunny southern California soon) and I now have the funds to finish up my Fitch Sprint, a win-win situation happened which I am pleased to have been a part of. May the new owner fully appreciate and care for the car for years to come.

Thomas Ratliff
Abilene, Texas
'65 Fitch Sprint
ThomasMRatliff@GMAIL.com

Re: For Sale: 1966 Corsa Turbo Convertible - SOLD
Date: March 08, 2017 12:46PM

Updating Subject line to show the car is no longer available. Thanks for all the interest from the many who contacted me.

Thomas Ratliff
Abilene, Texas
'65 Fitch Sprint
ThomasMRatliff@GMAIL.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.