home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What's the advantage of recurving a corvair distributor .
Posted by: matchlessmo ()
Date: February 28, 2017 04:39PM

Ok fellas, can anyone tell me the how's and why's you would need to recurve a corvair distributor vs buying a Covair vendor electronic plug and play unit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's the advantage of recurving a corvair distributor .
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: February 28, 2017 05:15PM

GM had a different timing curve (both mechanical and vacuum) for almost every variation of Corvair engine. In theory this optimized power and fuel economy depending on compression ratio, cam, carburetion, and manual vs. PG.

Timing curves were also revised for the SMOG rules.

The new aftermarket distributors come with a reasonably good compromise for a timing curve - one size fits all. Although Seth has parts to change the curve (one advantage with buying from Seth).

BTW - Changing the curve involves more than just changing the springs on a stock Corvair distributor - flyweight, cam, etc.

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: February 28, 2017 05:41PM

Recurving distributors usually done to maximize performance or the ability to run regular grade gasoline. When altering an engine beyond stock such as camshafts, compression ratios, etc, recurving a distributor is suggested.

66vairman has summarized it quite well.

Chet in Ramona

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 28, 2017 05:44PM

As 66V sez.... custom tailored to each type of vehicle...all determined 50 years ago..

Today Fuel is different... roads are different..... Tires are different..and our expectations are "per individual"!! Driving style / habits / weight usually different for each driver. Passengers always / never?

So, a "knowledgeable" "re-curve" can produce much better performance / economy and driveability.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: j3m ()
Date: February 28, 2017 10:16PM

Matt nailed it!

Perhaps, the two questions that you should actually be pondering are:

1) WHY WOULD YOU OPT FOR A BONE STOCK CORVAIR DISTRIBUTOR?

2) WHY NOT TAKE FULL ADVANTAGE OF TECHNOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENTS THAT HAVE GREATLY IMPROVED THE CORVAIR???..................Distributorless Ignition

Yes, motohead and several others will say that you can run a Corvair bone stock just as it was done 55 years ago.
They are not wrong, because YOU CAN, but it certainly may not be the best way to go as an improved, more technologically advanced system WILL FUNCTION BETTER THAN WHAT WAS AVAILABLE AT ANY TIME DURING THE SIXTIES.

Cost is not a significant factor in the equation.
The technology is proven to work on Corvairs and is functionally superior in every way.
Yeah, you won't see any depiction or discussion in the 1965 FACTORY SHOP MANUAL because, obviously this sort of technology was not around at that time.

You have options that make the Corvair a flawless performer on Today's gasoline.
Why in hell would you want to constantly have to fight with it while running 1960's era stuff that has a far more difficult job matching 2017 era fuel quality than it did with the fuel avaiable at the pumps in 1972.

Perhaps, you should look to the most modern and perhaps Best solution rather than something that was once the best solution.
There are ways to save money, and attempt to be thrifty but this ain't one of those areas because you'll have saved in retrospect only pennies and you will have a LOW QUALITY solution versus one of the HIGHEST QUALITY and overall functionality.
It is your choice, but remember that this foolish thriftyness will lead you to re-visit this "FUNCTIONALITY" issue, over and over until you finally get the education that you need from the school of hard knocks to finally jump aboard the modern technology bandwagon.

Posted by: bbakerga ()
Date: February 28, 2017 11:28PM

OK, here's a question related to this... I am interested in making my Spyder perform better, more reliable, more driveable, etc. However, becasue of the restoration I am doing, I want it to appear "bone stock".

I already have a HotSpark ignition and a flamethrower coil... and I will be using an advance/retard unit. Is there anything else I should consider? Recurving? Anything else? While I understand the advantages of fuel injection and distributorless ignition, I haven't seen those done in a way that looks original.

Posted by: kmart356 ()
Date: March 01, 2017 07:14AM

bbakerga Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OK, here's a question related to this... I am interested in making my Spyder perform better,
> more reliable, more driveable, etc. However, becasue of the restoration I am doing, I want it to appear "bone stock".

One potential for you is to use a 95hp distributor with your advance/retard can installed on it. This combination brings better low end throttle response and power while looking bone stock (distributor number won't match - is that critical?). In any event make sure the distributor has good bushing and points plate is functional (good ground, not corroded).

Ken
1962 Spyder Coupe
Florida

Posted by: DAVECS1 ()
Date: March 01, 2017 07:42AM

If you look at the picture in my signature. I have retrofitted the stock distributor with an electronic pickup and run it using GM ignition module and EFI, before that I ran this distributor with an ignition box that allowed you to program the ignition curve. Even with Carbs I cannot begin to describe how helpful this has been in keeping the engine happy under all kinds of situations. This can easily be done with Seth's distributor, and i would highly recommend his unit as, I went through some struggles getting this one to rotate consistent enough to keep my signal integrity intact. If it fails I will buy Seth's in a city minute.

1964 Monza Convertible
110 4 speed
Peoria, IL

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: March 01, 2017 04:18PM

If you wish to keep a (pretty-much) stock appearance but use the "almost-latest" technology. There is a way. The feature I like best about the electronic distributor is the "exactness" of the magnetic pulses. On a distributor machine, the magnetic pick-up delivers an accuracy that I can see makes all the cylinders firing with in one degree, maybe within half a degree, or less. A brand-new point set, on a brand-new cam might approach 1 degree variance (from more). If you want to use your own custom curve, and respond to boost with timing changes, there is a way. The simplest way, and probably the least expensive, is to utilize the MSD P/N 6530 - also known as the "Programmable 6AL-2". It takes a timing signal from a crank sensor - OR, and this is important, a locked out advance curve Magnetic-pulse unit. It is an easy change to my electronic distributor to lock out all advance, remove the internal electronics and change to a direct Magnetic out harness. You program the MSD to whatever curve you want - The software to do that with a windows based laptop is free. The spark still leaves the coil and goes to the plugs via the distributor rotor and cap, so it all appears stock. All you have to do is find a way to hide or disguise the single MSD box. Another way is to install the same modified distributor but leave some mechanical advance in place and use the latest "Safeguard" box. The newest ones have an input for the direct magnetic out. If you are interested in any of this, drop me a PM.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: matchlessmo ()
Date: March 01, 2017 04:48PM

Fellas , thanks for the input, this is not about keeping the stock look or saving money, I have a recurved distributor on my 1965 fastback , and it performs flawlessly with stock 4100 carb with 289 and 5 speed transmission, and gas mileage is awesome at 27 mpg. Thanks

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: March 01, 2017 05:00PM

If you want to spend just a little, buy a used MSD 6A, Use the stock points to Trigger the MSD. You wont believe the difference. You might pick a used one at a swap meet for under $50.
The Biggest issue i see is the way most corvair ignition wires are routed with the Clips on the Turkey Roaster. Severe spark scatter can occur. You wont see it at idle with a timing light but when you rev it to 3500 check your full advance, with the timing light,you just might see the mark jumping around like Elvis ! The best dist in the world cant fix that. Seperate those wires. Mike

Posted by: vairygood ()
Date: March 01, 2017 08:34PM

I have learned that if you want to know how to build a watch ,,,ask j3m what time it is......

Buster Tindel
Gulfport Mississippi
63 vert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2017 08:35PM by vairygood.

Posted by: Scott V ()
Date: March 02, 2017 01:43PM

vairygood Wrote:
> I have learned that if you want to know how to
> build a watch ,,,ask j3m what time it is......

yea......he would tell you how to build watch....w/o ever owning one.

-Scott V.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: March 02, 2017 01:50PM

""yea......he would tell you how to build watch....w/o ever owning one.""

Yep, it would be the one you own, built to his preferences

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: chris ()
Date: March 05, 2017 08:29PM

v8vair Wrote:
> If you want to spend just a little, buy a used MSD
> 6A, Use the stock points to Trigger the MSD. You
> wont believe the difference. You might pick a used
> one at a swap meet for under $50.
> The Biggest issue i see is the way most corvair
> ignition wires are routed with the Clips on the
> Turkey Roaster. Severe spark scatter can occur.
> You wont see it at idle with a timing light but
> when you rev it to 3500 check your full advance,
> with the timing light,you just might see the mark
> jumping around like Elvis ! The best dist in the
> world cant fix that. Seperate those wires. Mike

Mike, good tips. I had never thought about that with the plug wires.

'65 Monza 4 door
4 speed
110hp
Gardner, KS

Heart of America Corvair Owners Association

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: March 05, 2017 11:09PM

If you need to save some money and still get a great spark, you can convert an original Corvair distributor to a magnetic-out. It means deletion of the vacuum advance. We did a dozen of them in the 70s. Buy a reluctor/pickup kit for an early Chrysler Slant 6. Then take out the Corvair distributor point cam. Grind the point cam down - keeping it round - to allow a press fit of the 6-cyl Chrysler reluctor. It must be a tight fit. Loc-tite is also recommended. Align a reluctor tip with the tip of the rotor and press it on. Take off the existing upper point plate and throw it away. Punch or grind a hole in the lower plate to allow it to drop over the reluctor. Install the pickup mount, align it with the rotor pointing to distributor output terminal in the cap, and bolt down the pickup mount. route thee pair of wires out and plug them into the MSD-6A and you are good to go. You now have the precision and long-term certainty of a magnetic out, and the look of the original distributor -kind-of. You still have the small cap of the original dist, (new bushings or a sealed ball bearing are good suggestions), and you will have a little more work doing advance changes. It is an option. And I agree - keep the plug wires apart!

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Date: March 06, 2017 05:47AM

I was at the swap meet this weekend,I could of bought a half dozen 6AL MSDs for 50 bucks and a 6A for 25. I allready have a Spare 6AL for the Racer. When asking about them they had updated there Racers to the newer Digital MSDs.
I first witnessed the Spark Scatter on the Engine Dyno with my 406. I had what I thought were good wire seperators but apparently not ! Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2017 05:50AM by v8vair.

Posted by: DAVECS1 ()
Date: March 06, 2017 10:59AM

Page three of this post has pictures of building a stock Corvair distributor for electronic ignition.

[corvaircenter.com]

I still stand by my comment that Seth's distributor is a better solution. Also I found out you do not want to short the coil wires together while running. I did this when I routed my wires in the dizzy wrongly. It messed up my ignition module and ECM, when it dumped the coil current.

1964 Monza Convertible
110 4 speed
Peoria, IL

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: March 06, 2017 01:31PM

I have been a big fan of programmable ignitions. You can get them to do things that you would never be able to do with a conventional mechanically advanced distributor.
The best is being able to crank an engine with low timing and have it switch over to a high timing as soon as it fires.
Tweaking mid range situations as well as pulling timing up top.
Its not as difficult to learn as people think and the great thing is that many of them can be done on the fly from the driver's seat.

Lee J
Southern New Jersey near Philly.
1966 Corsa 180/4 speed
1969 Monza convertible 140/4 speed

Date: March 07, 2017 04:04AM

The Seth Dist is the Superior choice,but if your like me and have Old MSD crap laying around and a half dozen stock distributers and are short on cash you can come up with a good set up better than stock. Mike

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.