home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Oil pump sound
Posted by: Roelof ()
Date: February 26, 2017 08:21AM

Hi,

After what started as fixing an oil leak turned into a complete teardown of the engine I am now at the point of reassembly. All goes well and the engine, a '66 140, is in a pretty good condition. I did replace the pistons though as one was damaged from a carburetor screw falling into the engine. ( thanks again corventuredave! The pistons you sent me cleaned up very well). And I consider myself a lucky man not having pulled any of the studs (the last pass the sweat was running of my back smiling smiley)

The afternoon i primed the oil pump with a cut of screwdriver and a small drill to test the oil flow to the rockers. Then I noticed a soft rrrrrrrr sound coming from the oil pump cover. When I pull the drill I hear clickclickclick as pressure relieves. Pressure is good. It goes up to 40 psi when the drill makes around 1000rpm. When turned bij hand without the oil I feel some resistance but it turns freely.

I have never worked on a corvair or have seen any corvair engine upclose, so I do not know the noises and sounds of these things. Is this normal? Or is there too much play in the oil pump? The cover was hardly worn, the gears looked good, and when I measured all seemed within specs.

And here a picture of the current state

Roelof
Netherlands

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2017 08:23AM by Roelof.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Oil pump sound
Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: February 26, 2017 09:40AM

The soft "rrrrr" sound is totally normal, and is caused by the straight cut spur gear teeth. They will make that same sound no matter how much or how little clearance there is.

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: February 26, 2017 10:06AM

This is what I use:

Chet in Ramona

Attachments:
Date: February 26, 2017 11:19AM

Thanks 63turbo! I feel a lot better smiling smiley

And I like the tool. But I do not have many parts around, so the cut of screwdriver will do.

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: February 26, 2017 11:52AM

Roelof Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks 63turbo! I feel a lot better smiling smiley
>
> And I like the tool. But I do not have many parts
> around, so the cut of screwdriver will do.

Glad to have been able to help a bit, and good luck with the rest of the project!

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: February 26, 2017 12:03PM

To anyone using a cut off screwdriver for an oil pump primer please be careful using that. The oil pump shaft rides in the aluminum housing and is the BEARING surface for the oil pump shaft and the lower distributor shaft. Using a screwdriver tip you can easily score and/or broach out that lower bearing and then you will have other issues down the road.

Chet, even your distributor shaft by it's self can oblong the hole down there, put a distributor housing with bushing on that and you are good to go.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: February 26, 2017 12:29PM

Vairmech,

Seriously doubt five minutes of operating a jury-rig such as displayed will cause irrepairable harm, especially when shaft and hole are prelubed.

Chet in Ramona

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: February 26, 2017 01:06PM

You would be surprised at what can happen in 30 seconds!

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: February 26, 2017 02:31PM

i used a very old blunt screwdriver with no sharp edges..... we'll see what happens when I fire it up

Thanks for the heads up though.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: February 27, 2017 06:00AM

The oil pump gear to cover clearance can be adjusted using a gasket assortment of varying thickness and trial fit using Plastigauge. After doing this, I also feel the rotation using a screwdriver to verify that it turns freely. Too tight isn't good. You say some resistance but it turns freely which sounds good. The good feel is important. I can't comment on the sound but trust Kevin's comment.
I use an entire distibutor body when turning with an electric drill to keep things in line. I ground all the teeth off the gear but maybe should have just removed it.
It's interesting all the back pressure that remains in the system for a while after you quit turning it with the drill. I usually let it sit a while before installing the distributor, it's frustrating when you line up the slot for distibutor positioning and it moves.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: February 27, 2017 06:20AM

No one has mentioned it yet but it's important to slowly rotate the engine while your prelubing to insure complete engine lubrication.

'64 Monza Coupe 140 4 speed
'61 700 Lakewood 95 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Date: February 27, 2017 09:42AM

The feel of the pump is good when I turn it. It turns freely, but I feel the gears slide (i do not know any other way of describing it....)

I turned the crank around and primed until oil was dripping of all the rockers. As the top cover was off I could see that all the bearings got enough oil. I guess it is go to go know. I won't be using the screwdriver again. Promise smiling smiley

For now i'll button it up. Now only fix the transmission leaks and the stuff can go back in.

Thanks a lot for support.

Date: November 14, 2017 07:59PM

A couple of years ago, I found that the oil-pump-priming tool I made from a Corvair distributor shaft also worked on my 1963 Studebaker Avanti.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.