Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
STILL trying to get the turbo off
Posted by: Chris King ()
Date: March 08, 2005 07:07AM

Hi all,

I have gotten the topmost nut removed and have reasonable access to the one in the front of the picture, but find I can't even really get a wrench on the last one - I am fighting the firewall.

That leads to this question - when removing/installing the exhaust from a turbo car, do you need to lower the engine first? I can't even see how they would have tightened this nut in the first place, given the amount of room there is(n't)....

Attachments:
Re: STILL trying to get the turbo off
Posted by: bill graham ()
Date: March 08, 2005 08:48AM

can you disconnect exhaust from muffler, unbolt shrouding, and take off turbo still connected?

Date: March 08, 2005 10:17AM

Possibly. I had been looking at this before. The outlet pipe has rotted off the muffler anyway. The inlet pipe is mostly free, as well, so in theory you could disconnect the mounting bracket and lift the whole assembly out.

But even if nothing were rusted, there is almost no room to tighten that nut by the firewall. How do people do it with the engine in the car?

Posted by: Errol Ray ()
Date: March 08, 2005 04:05PM

I use a stubby 9/16 wrench from Sears. Almost a must have when working on the turbo engines.

Date: March 09, 2005 07:04AM

>re: stubby 9/16"

I'll go look for one. The one I had is about 5" long and has almost no range of motion. I don't think the stubby will give me the leverage I need in there right now, though. More work for the nut splitter.....

Posted by: Max Roeder ()
Date: March 09, 2005 10:26AM

Believe it or not the best thing you could do now is to drop the powertrain. Don't do anything else untill you get it back in and have met your current objectives. This will give you the opportunity to see what is going on down under and you can replace some of the things that are easy like transmission mounts and engine mounts bad bushings etc. You will also get to look at the engine compartment empty. Clean it up a bit and when everything is back in place you will feel much better about your project.

Date: March 09, 2005 11:05AM

>re: drop the powertrain

This is more or less where I was going to wind up, I think.

It does a couple of things to my project overall, though. My garage isn't big enough to let me do that and keep the other vair inside, so I have to move it out (that says not for a good month, yet). The other thing it does is make me choose between the turbo and the spare 140 that came with it - could work with one just as well as the other.

Not sure the body in that car is salvageable. I'll give it a look-over for the next few weeks, top to bottom, then if the drivetrain comes out, I might as well strip it right down and junk it.

Strange body in that car, overall. The rockers and A-pillars are flawless, as is the windshield frame. Both decklids and all four fenders are junk. Floors are most likely held together by the carpet.

Re: Dropping powertrains
Date: March 09, 2005 11:20AM

To that end, I was looking through my vast collection of literature ( winking smiley ) this morning at the Finch engine cart. Most people here seem to prefer ATV jacks, though they seem to be making some sort of metal cradle as well.

Not having metal expertise/tools, is the Finch cart workable?

Engine out
Posted by: Russell ()
Date: March 09, 2005 11:44AM

Face it, that motor is gonna come out sooner or later...probably sooner. Even if you get the topside in order, I bet you $5 that the input shaft seal is trash and your clutch disk is either gone or will be trash shortly after you get her running. So, with that in mind go ahead and get you a powertrain removal setup you feel comfortable with using. If you pull the whole train each time and not just the engine, all you need is support strength, stability and a jack...no fancy ajustable stuff (although that make things more easy for a price).

Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Attachments:
Re: Engine out
Date: March 09, 2005 12:10PM

Am grudgingly facing it.... smiling smiley

What are you using?

My rig
Posted by: Russell ()
Date: March 09, 2005 12:54PM

I have an OLD trans jack that the adjusters don't work. I built two 2x4s that bolt onto the jack with 3/4" bolts that mate up with the bellhousing 'ears' and the oil pan and it balances the train. When I separate, I use a 12"x12" 3/4" sheet of plywood on a regular 2 ton floor jack. Sounds crude, but it works for me. The main thing is to keep it balanced and have a helper when moving it about and initial removal/install process.

Note the cat food bowl and water bowl. That's for Fred the Vair Cat! He is my helper!

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.