Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: IN AND OUT OF A CORVAIR COUPE
Posted by: bobg1951chevy ()
Date: February 20, 2017 10:24PM

veverlove Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> MonzaDave - That's my issue, as well. Being a
> paraplegic, w/ no function from chest down,
> getting from the ground back into my chair is
> becoming more problematic as the years collect and
> an old shoulder injury have me weakened. I have
> actually been contemplating selling my Corvairs
> due to this.
>
> bobg1951chevy - Good luck w/ your future pick. Too
> bad you're on the opposite coast, I'd sell you my
> '65 vert cheap.

Whatever you decide to do, regarding the sale of your Corvairs, I'm certain you will make the correct decision.

I have two really nice 1951 Chevys, my wife cannot muscle either one around, both are stick, as well.

My clutch knee was replaced ..... wife's clutch knee as well. Not as easy to keep that clutch pedal pushed in.

Selling these two cars will be tough for me to do, but my thinking is a Corvair may be more fun and easier to handle, with a P.G, ...... while we are able to do so.
Bob.

Bob G., Hendersonville, NC

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan. Purchased in 2000.

1969 Corvair 500 Coupe. # 2671. Purchased in 2017.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2017 10:26PM by bobg1951chevy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cepak ()
Date: February 21, 2017 06:28AM

When I had my '63 Monza Convert., it was the easiest car in the world to climb in, especially with the top down. Of course I'm only 5'9" tall and 170 lbs.

My 2014 Camaro SS/RS is probably one of the worst. In comparison, it has a very long front end, is much wider than the Corvair, and the doors are super long. With the parking spaces at work being VERY tight, I have to park as far back in the spot as possible without getting ticketed by security. I have to move the driver's seat as far back as it will go, roll the driver's side window down, open the driver's side door until it catches the first notch, then slide out sideways. I roll down the window as a safety precaution since I almost sheered off my left ear on the window when I lost balance getting out, and fell back onto the seat. I had to get 4 stitches where my ear attaches to my head, and my whole ear turned dark blue and red. Once out of the car I use my Onstar app to roll up the windows. Getting back in when leaving, I use the Onstar app again to lower the windows, then climb in sideways. If I have someone riding to lunch with me, I have to back out of the parking spot in order for them to get in. If I'm parking somewhere with plenty of room to get in, I have to remember how low it sits so as to not bang my head again. Other than that, I love this car.

Tom Cepak
DFW, TX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2017 06:29AM by cepak.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: February 21, 2017 07:21AM

I'm 71, 6' tall, 180. It never occurred to me that the Vair is hard to in to or out of. It is easier than most cars I have ever owned, especially when the top is down. I just drove it yesterday, never gave it a thought. Being tall the seat is always all the way back, that probably helps.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: February 21, 2017 10:28AM

I am a youngster at only 60 but the only problem I have with the Vair is how low it is. No issue with space.

I am also pleased to learn more about the forum members! It's nice to put an age, if not a picture, to the names here. I remember going to the Corvair car show a couple years ago. There were many other era cars there as well. I was shocked to see how many owners were old . . . Then I realized I was old too!

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: February 16, 2018 08:40PM

Once you're in, why would you want to get out again?

Eric C. Player
Porterville, CA
- National Member, CORSA
- Member: Central Coast CORSA
- Former Member: Vintage CORSA Orange County & South Coast CORSA Los Angeles California Chapters. Member, ISA (Int. Screenwriter's Assn.), SAG Eligible, and Producer's Guild Aspirant

* Then: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red/1965 Monza 110 Purple/
1967 Monza 140 Red/1966 500 110 Black/1965 Monza 110 Yellow
* Now: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo Project. Blue, Blue/Beige interior.

"Chevrolet's Corvair was a maverick machine, a rear-engined renegade born out of spite and genius." -- Sports Car Graphic, August 1969

Posted by: vairygood ()
Date: February 16, 2018 09:02PM

At 76 and 6' 235lbs,my 63 vert is not a problem,the '65 Corsa,I'm sure will be ez as well

Buster Tindel
Gulfport Mississippi
63 vert
65 Corsa 140 4 speed

Posted by: firevair66 ()
Date: February 17, 2018 11:27AM

Vairs are easier than most new cars,or you could just install swivel seats.

John Shoemaker,Riegelsville,PA.
1958 Impala Sport Cp. 348 ,pg/ac
61 Rampside full custom show truck
65 Monza 110/4 vert driver
65 Full Custom Monza 140 Cp
66 Monza 110/PG Vert
66 Corsa FITCH SPRINT Documented ( in Process,recondition)
66 CorV8 350 "firevair"Custom Show

Attachments:
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: February 17, 2018 11:56AM

My Vair is not as hard to get out of as my 2015 Malibu. 4 Dr Malibu and it is lower to the ground. I am 64 and still get around pretty good now the back and leg issue to have abated.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: red monza ()
Date: February 17, 2018 12:31PM

I am short and old, but try getting OUT OF....a 1968 corvette that sits on the ground....almost as hard to get in actually...it has NO tilt wheel...there is about 5-6 inches of clearance of the seat and steering wheel.

Even though my 66 Monza sits low, it is fairly easy to enter and exit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2018 12:33PM by red monza.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: February 17, 2018 12:49PM

I don't feel so old now. At 50, 170lbs and 6' the only issues I've noticed is on LMs with the windows down I have to be careful to to poke my face on the vent window frame and EM convertibles I tend to bang my head on the top frame. They have quite a bit less space with the top up to get out than and non convertible or at least I never bang my head on my '64 Spyder.
Cars on my flatbed that I can't open the doors aren't as easy to climb in and out through the window as they used to be. My Corvairs are easier to climb in and out of than my mom's Buick LeSabres.

Posted by: curt ()
Date: February 17, 2018 01:52PM

A plastic bag placed on the set will allow easy sliding the butt around on the seat. I had a 7.5 hour back operation last October that allows zero lower back movement. The plastic bag made life easier getting in and out of my Sonata. It will be April befoer I am allowed to see if I can get in and out of the Corvair.

Posted by: WhenIm64 ()
Date: February 18, 2018 09:16AM

In recent years my knees have informed me that getting into and out of low cars was no longer going to be an easy thing to do. At first, it was just really low cars... but eventually Corvairs joined the group.

This was a factor the choice to retain only the Rampside when Sue and I retired to a condo in which the garage could house only one "hobby car."

Curiously, the Rampside was acquired from an older gentleman whose own bad knees prevented him from continuing to drive a manual transmission. So far, this is not an issue for me, but I do have a sense that a conversion to Powerglide may be in my truck's future.

--Bob

WhyImWhenIm64

Posted by: gregb ()
Date: February 18, 2018 12:13PM

I am 58 and 6'1" and have not had much issue but had arthritis in me left knee so it was getting more and more difficult the last couple years. About ten days ago on Feb 8th I had knee replacement surgery and at this point I could not get into a Corvair if my life depended on it but hope that will be changing over the next month or two.

Gregb

Alberta Canada
61 Canadian Lakewood
62 Spyder Triple Black Convertible
65 Corsa Coupe

Posted by: Jack ()
Date: February 18, 2018 05:12PM

I'm 84 years old but only 155 lbs. It's quite easy to fall into the seat but really starting to be a problem climbing out. 65 Monza.
Jack

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2018 05:56PM by MattNall.

Posted by: Jack ()
Date: February 18, 2018 05:15PM

OOPS that should have been FALL into the seat
Jack

Posted by: bobg1951chevy ()
Date: February 25, 2018 05:57PM

I began this thread one year ago.

Since that time, we did purchase our '69 500 Coupe.

It's not too bad getting in and out of our Corvair, but at 75 now, I'm betting the in and out procedure would be a heck of a lot easier if I was 40. smileys with beer

Bob G., Hendersonville, NC

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan. Purchased in 2000.

1969 Corvair 500 Coupe. # 2671. Purchased in 2017.

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: February 26, 2018 06:06AM

I'm 67 and just shy of 6'4", and find LM's easy to get in and out of, with the exception that with a non-tele column, my legs have to do a little limbada tg get under the wheel. With a tele column, I move the wheel a notch or two closer to me, and I get in and out no problem.

Needless to say, I consider the tele column a necessity. And since my favorite year is '67, I go ballistic every time I hear one of those %#@&! filthy rich Corvette guys buying up our scarce tele columns, just for a few small parts. Can't these Mr. Deep-Pockets get the needed pieces repopped, instead of stealing our scarce parts? Geez Louise..... angry smiley

-Mark

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: February 26, 2018 05:11PM

Reading this thread I see the need for air bags, air shocks or the like so the car can be lifted into a position for ingress and egress and also be lowered back into the 'driving height' for going down the road.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: February 26, 2018 05:25PM

I am in my 70s and 6' tall, but shrinking. I have no issues getting in an out. That being said, I seldom drive it with the top up. I had to put it up last year when I got stuck in unexpected rain. All was fine until my neighbor waved to me, I waved back, forgot the top was up and smashed my hand into the rail. Things don't heal real fast anymore confused smiley

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: February 27, 2018 05:34AM

I DO have to add that the FC's and especially the EM convertibles with the top up are the only ones that present a real problem getting in or out, as I find I have to duck as I get in or out. eye rolling smiley The EM convert's top frame I compare to a Nazi WWII helmet, with its drop-down sides. A real head-banger, it is.eye popping smiley

-Mark

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.