home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
LED lights
Posted by: keller ()
Date: February 13, 2017 10:15AM

Looking for some LED tail kits for an early.
Saw a club newsletter that mentioned a retorlumen kit.
Little help please.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LED lights
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 13, 2017 10:43AM

No need for a kit... search CREE and read those topics

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: February 13, 2017 03:29PM

The "Trick" is finding LED's that properly illuminate the Housing / lense.

I went thru $77 worth of CHEAP LED's off ebay to changeover 2 LM Vairs and a '94 Grand Cherokee. Tail / Turn Backup and fronts... all with the desire to have BRIGHT lights that could be seen in the Daylight!

Read the topics and you'll get the info on the 3 different types of LED's and where they worked best...

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: February 13, 2017 03:34PM

There's a guy on the Corvair Owners Group on FaceBook that makes a plug and play LED Tail light setup.

My dad has been on the search for an LED Conversion that works, he has never been happy with how dim Corvair tail lights look.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1968 Monza Coupe 140 4-speed Posi

Rob Hentschel
Chebanse, IL

Date: February 13, 2017 04:08PM

Bulbs are plug and play!

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: February 13, 2017 06:52PM

These are easy and very bright. Might not be good on cars where you need the light out the side, too, but perfect for the Corvair and Mini. But you need the electronic blinker to flash. (or the resistors they sell).

From Superbrightleds.com

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Date: February 13, 2017 07:43PM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bulbs are plug and play!

That's the easy answer! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rob Hentschel
Chebanse, IL

Date: February 13, 2017 08:13PM

Makes sense with the quality of the bulbs today... I bought cheapest... under $6 ea. some $1.49!

Spend $20 and get assured quality as some have done..

Posted by: Layton Curtis ()
Date: February 14, 2017 05:23AM

Walmart has them. No guesswork, look before you buy.

Posted by: dedwinson ()
Date: February 14, 2017 09:00AM

Bought mine at the local flaps. You do need to swap out the flasher though for a digital one or you won't get blinking turn signals. No big deal, but it is a must.

I had a harder time finding good LED replacements for the dash. The first ones I had were way too dim. I then found some 3 LED lights with a wider beam which work just fine. no dimming allowed, but I never dim the dash lights anyhow.

presently converting the interior courtesy lights into LED as well.

Dave Edwinson
Doing Vairly well in Minnesota
'66 Vert 140HP
www.frontiernet.net/~dedwinson

Posted by: texasuk ()
Date: February 14, 2017 09:50AM

This is a constant ask from people, would be great if someone could post a definitive links thread that could be stickied or something.

A link to the bulbs that fit and work, a link to the digital flasher unit if needed, the guys details who is selling the kits, and some basic instructions would be all that is needed I expect.

p.s. Nobody likes using forum search, it is a pain with the amount of posts you normally have to wade through to find what you want.

1964 Monza Convertible - now sold :-(
1962 Greenbrier - Never to be sold :-)

Living in the UK

Date: February 14, 2017 10:06AM

Digital Flasher:
[www.rockauto.com]

Standard 1157 LED version
[www.amazon.com]

Standard 1156 Lhttps:
//www.amazon.com/Classy-Autos-22-SMD-Backup-Reverse/dp/B0050OX07Q/ref=pd_lpo_263_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MR2B1YD01CBR35NMTJTYED version

Flaps has these 1157 and 1156 all day long. Same with the electronic flasher.

Dave Edwinson
'66 Vert 140HP

Date: February 14, 2017 10:38AM

Here's the guy on FB.

https://m.facebook.com/Corvairleds-1538673906423488/

Rob Hentschel
Chebanse, IL

Date: February 14, 2017 10:45AM

texasuk Wrote:
> This is a constant ask from people, would be great
> if someone could post a definitive links thread
> that could be stickied or something.
>
> A link to the bulbs that fit and work, a link to
> the digital flasher unit if needed, the guys
> details who is selling the kits, and some basic
> instructions would be all that is needed I
> expect.
>
> p.s. Nobody likes using forum search, it is a pain
> with the amount of posts you normally have to wade
> through to find what you want.
=================================================

Sadly, things are changing faster and faster... What's available today may not be tomorrow..direct links are not reliable..

A simple search using my name and the word CREE will bring up all the info needed for a LM..

Date: February 14, 2017 10:54AM

i guess I would have never thought of it as a kit anyhow. a few lights and a flasher.

Dave Edwinson
'66 Vert 140HP

Date: February 14, 2017 11:06AM

Right!!
Before these common replacement bulbs were available, people like AZDAVE BUILT replacement modules that work great...

Now he is Repopping CLEAR front Lenses so we can have better Parking lights that also serve as DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS! With the right LED Turn signals are much brighter up front as well!

Very unlikely anyone else will start making lenses!!

Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: February 14, 2017 11:52AM

It is amazing to see the changes in the last 50 years or so!

Since Edison invented the Incandescent Light about 150 years ago many things have changed. We now have a 'mandate' to change ALL lighting from Incandescent to LED.

LED (Light Emitting Diodes) were just a laboratory experiment 50 years ago. One of my older friends was working on this at the University of Wisconsin. Scientists had proven that a certain amount of energy was "lost" when electricity was flowing through a Solid State Diode. Some of this was due to 'back emf' created by the diode junction and some was dissipated as heat. These could be measured and proven but adding up those losses there was still "something" else going on to use up the rest of the "diode loss."

One theory was that the "diode junction" when conducting electricity emitted "PHOTONS!" Light exists as visible particles know as "photons" that behave the same as electrical waves.

Many experiments were done to see IF this was the right answer. As we know it WAS the answer, although the "diode junctions" being tested were designed to rectify AC to DC, or to isolate which way DC could flow. To test them they had to make special diodes with NO covering (commercial diodes had to have a tough outside cover to withstand industrial use, 'hiding' the actual junction).

Once these 'special diodes' were produced they used very sensitive Image Tubes to look at the junction while the diode was conducting. They found that the 'missing link' was indeed the emission of Photons! These were is the Ultraviolet range and could only be seen by the Image Tubes.

Once this was proven people started changing chemical formulas to produce "LED's" that have been in use for many years in computers and other electrical equipment for readouts and indicators.

Now you can go to Lowe's, buy a 60W LED Bulb, go home and screw it in in place of the Incandescent and have light that will last for 30,000 hours and draw a fraction of the wattage of the "normal" 60W bulb.

On the Auto side things are going LED in a big way but as Matt pointed out it is a Moving Target! Also, many of the LED's at today's FLAPS don't fit or work well in a 50 year old car like the Corvair.

Being an electronic engineer most of my life I have tried many an LED. Some work, some don't, some are available today but are gone tomorrow!

Based on Matt's recommendation I had my daughter order me some of the "$4.02 LED's" from ebay for Christmas. It took until the end of January before they got here (they were REALLY back ordered).

I have them now and I am experimenting with them in the 67. I discovered that the front Turn Signals work with either the 1157 or the LED but neither will come on when the switch is in the Parking position (the rear's do).

The switch is a 'little' sticky so that will be a sooner than later project!

Many of the ones I find in the FLAPS just don't work out (to me anyway) in the Corvair. I have put them in my wife's Pontiac and they look great!

So much fun! hot smiley

I think we DO need a "sticky" list that is dedicated to the LED's that work and any mods that are needed.

Thanks for reading my ramblings! smoking smiley

Regards,

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Re:1157 LED - SMD "Switchback" lights problem
Date: February 14, 2017 12:22PM

oldqmguy Wrote:

> Based on Matt's recommendation I had my daughter
> order me some of the "$4.02 LED's" from ebay for
> Christmas.
> I have them now and I am experimenting with them
> in the 67. I discovered that the front Turn
> Signals work with either the 1157 or the LED but
> neither will come on when the switch is in the
> Parking position (the rear's do).
================================================

[www.ebay.com]

As you see.. this is where we need to be specific on the bulb we are talking about.

AND by the time I used these I already had Electronic flashers WITH GROUND WIRE installed in both cars...

1 although normally you only need the Electronic flasher IF there is NOT still an incandescent bulb in the circuit.....

These "Switchbacks" may REQUIRE one... and whether it's a flasher with or without ground wire I do not know!

Also on ONE type of lamp I used I had to reverse the wires!

On another type I had to add a Diode in one line [ bright filament ] to get the DIM filament to work! Yet they worked fine in the other car!!!!

I'm not an engineer... I'm an "end user" and "Fixer" I just go on hunches and do a lot of testing!

So as you see "$4.02" doesn't help!!! ggg no flame!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2017 07:02PM by MattNall.

Date: February 15, 2017 07:30AM

I musta just got lucky then. smiling smiley

Dave Edwinson
'66 Vert 140HP

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.