Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: 4.3 in a 64 with powerglide
Posted by: Raycr ()
Date: June 05, 2018 06:25PM

Oh what fun I'll have.
I was working on getting the shift cable connected in the trans. I pulled the TV lever back to get the cable ball in position and felt it slip! Pulled the pan to see what was going on and found this. The trans has about 1/2 hour run time on it sense it was "resealed".
The bolt is from the TV leaver. How do I know that it is indexed right before I put the bolt back in and tighten it?
Oh ya, the torque converter seal leaks some too.

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 05, 2018 06:35PM

Don't worry that is normal for a PG / any automatic.... Clutch material wears from day one on...

TV lever can only fit one way...only partial serrations..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: June 05, 2018 07:04PM

The lever rotated on the shaft while I was trying to get the shift cable connected.
This trans has maybe 1/2 hour run time on it and has not been driven. If it had some miles on it I wouldn't worry about it. Also, the clamping bolt for the TV lever was in the pan.

Date: June 05, 2018 07:34PM

Interesting... I've changed the TV shaft.O-ring several times..

Must be the shift shaft? That's adjustable... see our FAQ's for adjustment.

That was a used trans? New fluid with do that..

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: June 05, 2018 07:50PM

It was a used trans, I had taken it to a Corvair shop to get it rebuilt for this 4.3 car. When they had it apart they said it still had the printing on the clutch plates so I elected to just reseal it.
I might try pulling the TV shaft and installing the clamp bolt with a bit of torque and see if the shaft will index then.
I'm thinking that I would have been better off leaving the trans alone with all the problems and miss communications on the work done to it. The shop isn't much for getting back to me about my concerns either. lost my number once, said that they would get back to me and have heard nothing

Date: June 11, 2018 06:35PM

Now, on to the next trans problem. It doesn't shift. I did swap a governor from a 140 HP trans, it looked to be free. I'll put the old one back in and see if that fixes it. Up next will be doing pressure checks

Date: June 11, 2018 06:41PM

making headway!! Frustrating... but getting closer!

Date: June 13, 2018 08:05PM

OK, got the power glide TH internal linkage repositioned and tight now. The next thing I found was it wouldn't upshift. I know that the throttle linkage after the TV lever is all custom and I need to get the raitos right. I can't find in ant info that I have and didn't find what I think I need in the FAQs. How do I find the range or stroke on the TV lever? Is the full stroke of the lever the full useful stroke? I need to set the ratio so the lever and the carb are in the proper idle and WOT potions at the same time. Finding the stroke of the carb is the easy part but will the TV lever swing the full range of travel it has without any linkage when in use or is there a dead part that I need to adjust for?
I love that the knowledge is shared here with out any of the drama of "you must be stupid for not knowing that" that FB offers.

Thanks guys!

Date: June 17, 2018 05:57PM

I think I have the throttle linkage figured out now. I reworked the ratio of the bellcrank, between the trans and engine. Made a heat shield on the right muffler. Now onto some of the problems sitting for years brings, brakes and stuck stuff. I'm hopping to see if it will drive soon. I need to do something with the brake master cylinder, it will not return all the way every time. I might give Clarks a call and see if they offer a rebuild kit for their dual master cylinder conversion I also will be ordering the gauge set so I can keep track of that engine temp. Will probably build a heat shield for that right exhaust manifold too.

Date: June 17, 2018 06:42PM

Sticky brake pedals usually cure themselves with use! Got a Kid? Let them play driving it!

Date: July 04, 2018 03:52PM

A bit of an update! I actually drove the 64, under it's own power the other day!
I had to turn it around to get to work on the front end stuff.

While it was out, Dad tried his hand at getting in it. We Knew it would be more difficult with a bum leg and arm.
We're thinking it will be much easier with the steering wheel removed and have found a quick release hub to fit GM's splined steering shaft. But the 64 has the one year only, small shaft.

So, I guess the question right now is will another year steering box and shaft swap in? I have a 65 that's parts that I could use or a 60 that's not parts yet as it's a complete, running car.
We're also going to swap things over from the 65 for 5 bolt wheels.

Date: July 04, 2018 08:00PM

Give us the VIN # of the 65... if late enough.... should be different.

Date: July 05, 2018 05:11PM

The VIN on the 65 is: 105375W116643

Date: July 05, 2018 05:21PM

Early production # 16,643 out of 235,528

Get a '61-3 Box and column.. 2 piece , common thread

Myself I'd cut and use a newer collapsible column. '68 or 9 No key switch, and the good turn signal switch with 4 way flasher!

'67 has the one year only switch... but can be mod'd to use the later..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2018 05:26PM by MattNall.

Date: September 03, 2018 06:00PM

Finally an update! Tonight I drove the car, down to the next corner and back. (About 3/4 mile each way) It felt pretty good, It will need an alinement. The only issue I felt in this short drive is that the transmission will flare on strong throttle upshifts.

Well, that, and the brakes still suck. I can't seem to get enough front brake.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2018 06:01PM by Raycr.

Date: September 03, 2018 07:21PM

I don't remember you doing anything to the brakes?

Still single MC and drums all around?

1 Change shoes... Autozone's Cheapest... Light colored linings.

2 If your pedal is high and hard... Bore front Wh-Cyl. to next size larger..

Date: September 04, 2018 04:38AM

The car already had the Clarks dual master conversion when I started but the master would stick part way down. I crossed the numbers from that master and found a replacement at the local parts store that I think would be the same, it does have the same bore. We've replaced all the hoses, wheel cylinders and shoes. I did not have the drums machined though. They might be too much oversized, I didn't measure them yet.

Date: September 04, 2018 07:46AM

AHH if you have a Dual MC... put a Proportioning valve in the rear line and adjust out the rears a little at a time until you get balance!

[www.ebay.com]

Date: September 04, 2018 03:04PM

Here's what Mark Wright wrote today in another Topic;

Porterfield R4 compound shoes do not glaze over. Match the arc to the [aluminum ] drums. Porterfield can do that too. My car: bored 15/16 front wheel cylinders Aluminum finned drums all 4 [will need longer wheel studs] vented front backing plates Those shoes braided brake hoses dual master cyl adj proportioning valve on rear brake line

Date: September 05, 2018 07:04PM

Went out and drove the 4.3 corvair about 5 miles this evening. The brakes are feeling better, I think the shoes are wearing in. I still need to check the low band adjustment and the TV linkage, I think it shifts a little soon.
Still need to address the cooling system but I knew that

Attachments:

Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.