Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
4.3 in a 64 with powerglide
Posted by: Raycr ()
Date: February 12, 2017 07:47AM

The father-in-law and I have been researching the ins and outs of this swap. We've trolled all over this forum and found GREAT knowledge and info. We've checked out about every post by Damian )Lostbooger), as our build will be simular, and many others. The parts list is just about finished and sources found. I have yet to check out the articles on adding a cooler to the EM PG. I checked and the block casting on the 4.3 is for an 85 model with the 2 piece main seal and so far the seal numbers I found are for the 1 piece, just a bit more looking, I know.
This isn't going to be a quick project and doesn't need to be. Dad had a stroke back last February and this will be a therapy as well as getting him an automatic car to drive.

Thanks for all the help you guys never knew you gave us!

Looks like I need to use photobucket or similar service to share pictures, I'll work on that too.

Thanks,

Raycr

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 4.3 in a 64 with powerglide
Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: February 12, 2017 08:03AM

Sounds like a fun project! The early 4.3 is easy to mod for reverse rotation and should fit-in nicely.

You don't really need to use a service like photobucket unless you want to. I post low-resolution shots directly from my camera's SD card to CCF. If I've taken a picture with my phone, I email it to myself (reduced to 10%) and then post the reduced image directly to CCF. In almost 20,000 posts, I've never used a 3rd party service.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: February 12, 2017 08:20AM

From what all we've found and compared to some of the other projects I've gotten my self into, it looks pretty strait forward.

I'm still debating the merits of flipping the pistons for rev rot. The 4.3 ran well as it was in a pickup and we weren't looking to rebuild it. It shouldn't have a hard life in the 64 either, just a cruiser.

As for pictures, When I click on the pic icon, a line for a URL is brought up. I don't find a place to directly upload a pic. Don't have ant but pre V pick yet anyhow.

Posted by: martyscarr ()
Date: February 12, 2017 09:14AM

PM sent

Date: February 12, 2017 09:15AM

Note to self: The 4.3 turns the wrong direction if you're planning to bolt it to a Corvair PG and install the engine in the rear. Rev-Rot is a must, not an option.

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: February 12, 2017 09:25AM

"When I click on the pic icon, a line for a URL is brought up. I don't find a place to directly upload a pic"

Craig replies: Click on the blue "Attach a file". Then "Browse" through your PC until you find your picture, select it, then click "attach". Note that you're limited to three pictures per post and the pictures have to be smaller than 500k I usually post 100k pictures.

Here's a picture of my rev-rot V8 and Corvair transaxle:

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Attachments:
Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: February 12, 2017 09:45AM

Any 4.3 that does not have a balance shaft can be converted to reverse rotation.
The later model tbi (late 80's through about 1995) engines are very good candidates as they have the hydraulic roller cam but do not have the balance shaft. The late "Vortec" heads are are very low cost bolt on power enhancement that can be done with a bolt pattern redrill for the intake manifold.

Lee J

Posted by: Ed Dowds ()
Date: February 12, 2017 10:43AM

The number for the front seal is 17760.
Two piece rear seal for rev rotation is 17720.
Numbers are Felpro.

Ed
Hillsborough, NJ
66 500 rear 4.3 V6 Corvair
69 350/350 TH Camaro was RS
30 Model A Ford Streetrod 350/400 TH
88 Celebrity Wagon (Daily Driver)

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 12, 2017 10:55AM

Corvair FC's [ pickups and vans ] used a cooler..

Directions are here to mod a car front pump cover to use an external cooler.

IIRC drill / tap one hole / plug one passage...add cooler!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2017 11:08AM by MattNall.

Posted by: old Jerry ()
Date: February 12, 2017 11:06AM

When reversing the 4.3 the rods are switched from left to right side of the engine They can not rotated 180 degrees in the cylinder, connecting rods are offset I just did this on an 86 and it runs great. It has an aluminum intake with the factory quadrajet.

Posted by: lostbooger ()
Date: February 12, 2017 11:09AM

Hey guys, long time no talk.

What I believe he is referring to with flipping the pistons is the offset of the rod on the pistons to accommodate for the reverse rotation. It would help the engine run a little smoother if you did, however having the pistons in that offset is an old racing trick some people used to gain a little more power. I left mine in that configuration, though I have not driven the car many miles due to life getting in the way so I am unable to speak about the longevity.

Good luck!

Damian

61 Monza 4.3L V6

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: February 12, 2017 04:14PM

For pin offset change, (given that you are using flat-top pistons) the rod stays in the same place in the motor, just press the pin out, turn the piston 180 degrees and press it back in again. Then put it back in the same hole. In the 4.3 the piston and the rod are the same on all cylinders. The rods are different from the V8, but all six are the same.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Date: February 13, 2017 05:38AM

Thanks guys! We ordered up a bunch of parts this weekend and getting a bit exited to dive in. Getting the parts for the rev rot conversion, cam, gear set and seals. I didn't think about seals being directional till I read the posts here.

So there is still a bit of a debate on what to do with flipping the pistons. Flip the piston on the rod flip the whole works to the other bank or run it as is.

Thanks
Ray C R

Posted by: didget69 ()
Date: February 13, 2017 06:06AM

Late model 4.3's can be reverse rotated, if you really want to...

[www.youtube.com]

bnc

Date: February 14, 2017 04:17PM

Well folks we got the first parts order in today. It looks like I screwed up on the cam. The cam I ordered was a Clevite 229 1882. It looks like it's a roller cam and we need a flat lifter cam. Is the Melling 22120 cam the flat tappet cam? Hopefully I can return this one. I ordered the cam and lifters from the same place at the same time and nobody caught it.

Posted by: old Jerry ()
Date: February 15, 2017 06:06AM

I am using the Melling flat tappet cam and gear set but I can not remember the part number. Sorry.

Date: February 15, 2017 06:53AM

Sounds like you are on your way. What are you planning for the radiator?

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: February 15, 2017 10:41AM

Looks like both cam numbers are for roller lifters. The place I got the first cam from can't find a flat tappet cam.. Soo, if anyone happens to have a number for a flat tappet, non balance shaft, reverse rotation cam, PLEASE let me know!

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: February 15, 2017 10:45AM

Go to a "KNOWLEDGEABLE" Mercruiser Marine dealer

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Posted by: didget69 ()
Date: February 15, 2017 12:15PM

Pages: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.