Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
how to tell
Posted by: ccvair ()
Date: March 07, 2005 07:38PM

Hello everyone! I have a question.How does one tell what engine originaly came in their corvair? Reason why I ask is I looked at a 68 500 coupe that has a 140 hp with a glide.Could you even order that combo for a 500?

Re: how to tell
Posted by: Ralph Gubser ()
Date: March 07, 2005 07:57PM

Sure could. If the car has an engine available for that year and model (i.e. turbo engine only available in a Spyder, no 95 hp's in Corsas, etc.) there's no way to tell for sure if it's the original engine. (Although the '69's had the vin # stamped on the engine, the earlier Corvairs didn't). The best clue is to see if the date on the engine approximately corresponds to the date on the body tag (plus or minus a week or two). Turbo Corsas also had a special code on the body tag, but again, the dates would have to correspond to nail it down closer.

Posted by: "UNSAFE" ()
Date: March 07, 2005 11:40PM

If you can find the Protect-o-plate , it will have the engine # stamped on it.
"UNSAFE"
Kevin Willson
65 Monza

Posted by: Shaun ()
Date: March 08, 2005 05:55AM

'68s had the vin number on the engine too!

P-O-P looks like this...
Posted by: Russell ()
Date: March 08, 2005 07:40AM

Only problem is that there will be multiple engines produced with the same stampings...

T0506RB could be on several blocks. (actually, different years too)

So, who knows whick one is the 'original engine'? You don't until, like others said, the VIN was stamped on the engine too.

Attachments:
Re: P-O-P looks like this...
Posted by: ccvair ()
Date: March 09, 2005 02:36AM

I went back and looked and im in the process of buying the car its a match!! Wierd it also has a clock and its really devoid of any other options.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.