Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 66 Coupe Street/Race Project
Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: May 24, 2017 08:58AM

I have been busy but keep forgetting to take photos and post them. I got the powder coated parts back and packed them up with the engine to go to Ray Sedman. I hope to have the engine back by the end of the year. I gave up on blasting the car myself and lowered it onto the rolling cart I got from Bob Slusher. It is now ready to go out to the blaster. I didn't realize how many little things have to come off to get it all stripped down. I have boxes of bagged and marked parts.

I found out how strong the trunk springs are. Removed all the hinge bolts and pried the spring loose. Boing!! It flew up in the garage and landed across the room. Luckily I thought it might do that so I stayed out of the way. There must be a better way to do that. Not sure how to reinstall them after paint.

I removed all the rubber plugs and blew out the contents of the rockers and the rear fenders. A lot of dirt but not as much as I predicted. The car must have lived a clean life. Getting to the front inner fenders are is really tough. I did my best but not sure if there is still stuff down there. I shouldn't worry but I keep thinking about what may be hiding down there. One of those things no one else will know about but I will and it bothers me.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 06, 2017 08:41AM

I finally got my 66 race car body back from the stripper. It is seal coated to protect the metal. It came back with a LOT of holes from rust. I thought it only needed some of the floor under the rear seat replaced but the front floor boards are also Swiss cheese. The trunk floor is rusted but that should be easy to replace with a flat panel. My plan there is to cut out the rear section of the trunk to accommodate a fuel cell. The area used by the stock tank is available so may as well use it. The lower sections of two fenders are rusted and there is other crash damage. I have a parts car that I can scavenge for the front fender section that's damaged but the lower sections are worse on the parts car than on the race car body. I suppose I will have to fabricate those sections.

Next step is to teach myself to weld! Time will be spent this winter since I hope to race it in the Spring.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1968 Monza Parts for now

Date: March 08, 2018 09:07AM

Well, time to get back to this thread and give updates on my 66 race car project. First, I need to change the subject of this thread. I am now building this car strictly for road racing. No more street driving for this one. The body has been media blasted to the bare metal and sealer/primer applied. More rust showed up but in the typical places. Fixing that bodywork is next on my list. I will need to invest in a good welder so saving money to buy one.

The entire front suspension is ready to install. The rear suspension is also ready to install. I am waiting for the engine and the trans/diff to be done so I can get those into the car.

In the meantime, the wiring, gages, roll cage, seats and safety gear can be done. Lots of money there so I am trying to take bite sized pieces. I now estimate that it will be done next winter and racing in the spring. Not ideal but it takes time. I just hope all of my improvements are not outdated by then! grinning smiley

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 08, 2018 10:15AM

Sounds like good progress! How about some pics?

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: March 09, 2018 07:11AM

Here are the completed carbs. I wish I had a better polishing wheel to make them like mirrors. I got them installed on the engine, with the direct linkage. Not hard to get the linkages on but tricky to keep them attached.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1968 Monza Parts for now

Attachments:

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.