Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
66 Coupe Street/Race Project
Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: February 07, 2017 02:35PM

I am beginning my 66 Coupe project. I bought the car a while back but for a while it was slow going due to health issues. Now I am back at it with new energy. I will try to keep posting progress here as it happens but I may lag behind at times. Thanks to Bob Slusher for finding this creampuff for me. I couldn't do any of this without his help.

Now I just need to figure out how to add pictures. I searched the site but did not come up with the simple way to do it. Can I do it without posting the photos to another site first?

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 66 Coupe Street/Race Project
Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: February 07, 2017 03:02PM

Yes, you just need to resize the pictures so they are below the size limit. Then use the "attach a file..." link when you're posting. 75-100kb is about the size you want in order for them to not be obnoxiously blown up looking on the forum. You can resize with any number of photo editors. I use gimp which is similar to photoshop but free. You can also link from an image hosting website but it is easier just to resize and load them here.

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Date: February 07, 2017 04:35PM

I do not find a "attach file" option in the message posting menu. Help locating that? My photos are on my computer, not any URL address.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: kenzen ()
Date: February 07, 2017 04:40PM

Use the "Attach a file ..." link.

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Date: February 07, 2017 05:12PM

I think I got it, if this works.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1968 Monza Parts for now

Attachments:

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 07, 2017 05:19PM

You got it!! decent looking car!...we know you just washed it... gggg

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: February 07, 2017 06:31PM

What are your plans for it?

Lee J

Date: February 07, 2017 08:38PM

I am taking it apart to clean and restore it but it will eventually hold my new Johnny Joint suspension by Nate Wolfe and the Ray Sedman engine that should arrive late this year. It's a long term project but I need the distraction anyway. I have it in progress, dropped the drivetrain today and removed the horse collar and it's mounting brackets so it can be powder coated with many other parts. Engine tins, front end and rear suspension plus the 4 wheel disc brake brackets.

Dialysis three times a week and I can't work at my former job anymore so I am retired. The Corvair is a sanity saver. I didn't expect to meet so many great people on the forum though so that is a real bonus. When I'm too tired to work, I can read the posts. I learn something every day even if I don't post a question. I am fortunate that here in the Portland Corsa club there are many members who are expert in their field. My main mentor is Bob Slusher who I met by pure chance two years ago at a Corvair car show. We talked and he offered to help me build a car that can road race and drive on the street. There will be compromises but I lean to the race outcome in most cases.

I'll take more pictures soon to update the work I have done so far. I might get a website too for vanity! I also have a 65 Corsa that is for daily driving. It has a lot of issues that I work through as I can. It's in bed for the winter, under a big tarp. I may restore it someday to near original condition. Just a fun car to have.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1968 Monza Parts for now

Date: February 11, 2017 11:31AM

A few more photos. I got the front end and fuel tank out. Removed the engine, trans, diff. Removed all the interior pieces. Removed the dash sections.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1968 Monza Parts for now

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2017 11:32AM by BobV66Vair.

Attachments:

Date: February 11, 2017 11:36AM

Cleaned out the interior with wire brush. Discovered rust holes under the rear seat.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1968 Monza Parts for now

Attachments:

Date: February 11, 2017 11:37AM

Got the cowl area opened up and started the rust removal remediation process. I think I can get away with fixing it rather than taking the entire cowl piece out an replacing it.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1968 Monza Parts for now

Attachments:

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 11, 2017 11:40AM

Makin' progress!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: February 18, 2017 10:31AM

I started removing some of the paint in potentially rusted areas and found some unexpected surprises. Body work done by PO is several places and the rust in the lower sections. All was cleverly covered up with 1/4" of Bondo. Right over rust and the original paint. Now it's all been removed and the metal exposed. My hope is that I can weld up the damaged sections and grind it back to original condition. Some of the dents may be difficult to get back to correct as they are on multiple compound curves. Can I still use Lead like the original OEM did? Not sure if you can even buy it anymore. Debating if it is easier/better to cut them out and replace with grafts from my donor 68 versus trying the bodywork. I don't want to go back with thick layers of Bondo.

Anyone done this kind of work? Recommendations?

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1968 Monza Parts for now

Attachments:

Date: February 18, 2017 10:34AM

Typical rust, still no fun to fix.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1968 Monza Parts for now

Attachments:

Date: February 19, 2017 01:29PM

Removed the seal in the trunk today. Surprising amount of rust. The channel is not rusted through but will require some rust converter. It's at the slow going phase now. Just lots of tedious work to be done.

My front end parts should be back soon. Looking forward to seeing them. All being powder coated soon.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1968 Monza Parts for now

Date: March 09, 2017 05:21PM

I have been making slow but (mostly) steady progress on the car. I had to try several things to come up with the optimum way to remove paint, undercoating and rust. Here is the thread on that activity Undercoating removal thread I ended up using the cheapest alternative, my 4" and 6" angle grinders. They get down to bare metal really fast. Here are a couple photos of the test areas I did on the topside.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1968 Monza Parts for now

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2017 05:24PM by BobV66Vair.

Attachments:

Posted by: dhomuth ()
Date: March 11, 2017 11:00PM

I enjoyed visiting with you yesterday (Friday) and putting a Mk1 human eyeball on your project. Formidable! The photos got it just right.
When/If you get down to Salem, stop by and I'd be pleased to show you my convertible project. I stopped out to Rex Johnson today to drop off the newly redone 66 heads and the cleaned-up fan, so he now has those. When Lon delivers the rebored cylinders, new pistons, rings and wrist pins, Rex should have pretty much all he needs to start bolting things back together.
I do thank you for the undamaged oil pan. Plan to clean that up and get the underside coated for when everything goes back together.
I hope those heads you bought from me work OK for your project too. I am one of those Support Your Local Racer guys, and it tickles me you're doing a Corvair to race.
Now that the weather is thinking about improving (it was 65F on the drive home yesterday) I may be able to do some work on my own car in the shop. But first, I'm going to attach that nifty gadget that Rex loaned me so I can trailer my car to my local automotive electrical expert and have him replace that nice new complete total-car wiring harness I picked up last week. Maybe that will be ready by the time Rex is prepared to reinstall the drive train.
I did have an enjoyable conversation with one of the guys at Rex's place about how I really had No intention of redoing "a" Corvair at all. Had it not been for this specific car, I'd never have considered it.
But for This car, yeah -- I'll pretty much do and spend whatever it takes to put it right.
I'll be pleased to have it on the same display field with your race car when you're ready.

1966 Corvair Corsa convertible
Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Plan its first public runout come July.

[corvaircenter.com]

Date: March 31, 2017 03:18PM

I have been busy with shaping up my garage and fixing HF tools. Now that I bought a much larger compressor, my bead blaster and sand blaster seem to work. I started on prepping parts to go back on the car once things are ready for assembly. I am splitting my time between the bead blasting and the sand blasting of the bottom of the car. Unfortunately, the bottom does not lend itself to pictures but I'll work on a few this weekend.

I got to the headlight tubs and brackets yesterday. They are coming out nicely. Down to bare metal then self-etching primer. I am planning to paint the parts visible from the outside in black and the parts visible from the inside in OEM splatter paint. Waiting on an order from Clarks now.

Tomorrow I get to pick up my engine tins that are just back from the powder coater. Those get packed into a pallet box for shipment down to Ray Sedman.

That's not red paint in the after photo but camera reflection. They are very well painted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2017 03:21PM by BobV66Vair.

Attachments:

Date: March 31, 2017 03:20PM

More photos of headlight parts. I know, pretty boring but I am finally cleaning things up for eventual assembly. Does not seem like it but it's a big deal to me!

Attachments:

Posted by: krfjkm ()
Date: March 31, 2017 05:51PM

Looks good!

KRFJKM
Charlotte NC
1965 Corvair Corsa

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.