home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: 3.1 Liter Going Together
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 14, 2017 10:14AM

Horsepower / Speed cost $$$$$ How Fast you wannabe?? ggg

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: February 14, 2017 07:31PM

Matt,

Add "restoration" to that "horsepower/speed" list.

Any number of people have asked how much my project car is costing, and all I can tell them is that I could go buy any new car I could/would want, cash, for what I'm spending. Even I am so shocked by the bottom line that I'm speechless. eye popping smiley

I guess the lesson in all this is that if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it.

-Mark

Posted by: Max Roeder ()
Date: February 15, 2017 05:45PM

67 airvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Matt,
>
> Add "restoration" to that "horsepower/speed" list.
>
>
> Any number of people have asked how much my
> project car is costing, and all I can tell them is
> that I could go buy any new car I could/would
> want, cash, for what I'm spending. Even I am so
> shocked by the bottom line that I'm speechless.
> eye popping smiley
>
> I guess the lesson in all this is that if you have
> to ask the price, you can't afford it.
>
> -Mark

WARNING...DO NOT EVER ADD UP THE COST OF YOUR RESTORATION! You may never ever want to do any resto again!

Date: February 15, 2017 06:46PM

Max Roede, you're absolutely right! Cal Clark told me the same thing. Too late! eye popping smiley But then, this will be the last one I do, anyway.

Right now what concerns me is getting my tax return so I can pay the body man. Then finding the money to pay for the engine. May have to borrow an engine. sad smiley

-Mark

Posted by: Jonathan Knapp ()
Date: February 18, 2017 02:39PM

Joelsplace -

The intake manifolds are by Cartwright Engineering. I grew up in the Portland, OR area and have know Duane Cartwright since my high school days. They are available directly from him or through Clarks's (I believe).

Rod -

The green colored stuff is a metal epoxy for port reshaping sold by Goodson Tools. We used to fill in the low areas around the intake ports once the stock intake manifold has been cut off. We didn't want to do any welding on the heads at that point because the seat, valves and valve guides and machine work had all been done carefully for the previous engine, which was fairly conventional (Corvair cylinders, pistons, rods, a flat-tappet Isky cam, and center-mount Holley 4-bbl.) It is the only product we could find that was rated for the temperatures that a Corvair head will encounter. It has a military specification. It worked very well and was easy to machine.

Max -

I too have seen moving pictures of valve train parts rotating, but I believe that that is only with flat-tappet cams. On a flat-tappet cam it is the lifter that rotates slightly on the lobe as it is opening and closing. This rotates the push rod too. I don't see what it is that would rotate a push rod on a roller cam. The roller lifters are prevented from rotating on the cam lobe both by the shape of the lobe and the roller as well as by a locating device that prevents rotation. What would rotate the push rod in this case?

Mark -

No banks robbed for this project. I'm a school teacher, so not that much money in my bank account. I've just been working on these ideas for years, planning ahead, acquiring things little by little here and there and building my previous engine with these developments in mind (see the above comments to Rod). I also have a retired machinist friend who helps out with some machine work now and then.

Jonathan Knapp
Seattle, WA
'66 Corsa Autocrosser

Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: February 18, 2017 04:22PM

Jonathan Knapp Wrote:
> Johnny -
>
> I noticed on your post that you are thinking ahead
> to a supercharged engine. Which supercharger are
> you considering? I have some thoughts on that too
> and would like to compare notes.
>
> There is the M90 Eaton, which is cheap and
> available, but not as efficient as the other
> options.
>
> There's the Mercedes "32" AMG unit, which is high
> performing, but hard to find for sale separately.
>
> There's the new Eaton TVS1320, which may have the
> highest efficiency of them all, but is very new,
> and as far as I can tell is not standard equipment
> on any car yet so it will be hard to find in
> wrecking yards.
>
> What are your thoughts?
>
> Jonathan Knapp
> Seattle, WA
> '66 Corsa Autocrosser

Jonathan,

I am enjoying you big bore build. Thank you for sharing it.
I have been planning a big bore build with full floating pistons. This is helpful.

I happen to see a cool VW setup on Facebook today before I read this thread. I know the rotation is not the same.
But it is still a cool supercharge setup and I thought I share it.

While looking for the above picture to post I also came across this setup.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2017 04:24PM by OttawaCorvairGuy.

Date: February 18, 2017 05:01PM

Those are nice clean setups.

My intent is to do intake runners similar to Jonathon's build, here, and run then into a plenum mounted above the fan. I have not mocked this up for clearance yet, but I believe it will fit in that area, while leaving enough room for fan flow.

The second choice would be on the passenger side ahead of the spare tire well.

Back to Jonathon's super clean build.

Carry on!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You're unique, just like everyone else...

Johnny B
Central WI

Wife's '68, 3.0L, twin-screw compressor and fuel injected in the works...

Project Pressurized Pancake

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: February 18, 2017 05:55PM

If you can, you can build a plenum that incorporates a water to air intercooler core much like Ford and GM and Mercedes and others have used. The 03-04 Cobra and the 99-04 Lightning blowers sit on top of such a plenun with the core inside. They have a heat exchanger mounted in front with a small circulation pump; which I might add is made by Bosch and GM and Mercedes use.
Anyways........just my $.02

Lee J

Date: February 19, 2017 04:53AM

Jonathan, I know how projects go. Sometimes they take years. You and I are in the same boat. Been working on my dream (project) car for decades, and money's tight for me now too, as I'm also retired. We both should be glad our dream machines are finally getting done at all.smileys with beer

Best wishes on such a sweet engine. Hope it turns out to be everything you've ever wanted, and just like you want.grinning smiley

Keep us posted!

-Mark

Date: February 19, 2017 09:52AM

gnvair Wrote:
> If you can, you can build a plenum that
> incorporates a water to air intercooler core much
> like Ford and GM and Mercedes and others have
> used. The 03-04 Cobra and the 99-04 Lightning
> blowers sit on top of such a plenun with the core
> inside. They have a heat exchanger mounted in
> front with a small circulation pump; which I might
> add is made by Bosch and GM and Mercedes use.
> Anyways........just my $.02

I plan on using secondary injectors into the front of the screwcharger, but feeding it with E85 due to its latent heat of vaporization and octane, but that's for another thread.

I'll definitely start a thread on that once I'm working on it more frequently. I don't want to muddy up Jonathon's awesome build, I was just answering questions had asked.

Looking forward to the next installment of this build!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You're unique, just like everyone else...

Johnny B
Central WI

Wife's '68, 3.0L, twin-screw compressor and fuel injected in the works...

Project Pressurized Pancake

Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: January 14, 2018 07:56AM

It has been almost a year since the last post. Any news / update on this build?

Thank you,

Tony
(Ottawa Area - Canada)

(1) Marie's 1962 Convertible and our 1966 Ultravan #248 (aka Itchy Feet - Long Restoration)
(2) Our 1963 Rampside (Sold 2014) and 1967 Ultravan #256 at Upper Canada Valley car show in 2009.
(UV256 aak Itchy Feet II - corvair power plant came out 2012 - plans with donor for a GM 3.8L FWD conversion, as a gas pusher, in the back of UV256)
(3 & 4) Are some of our 11 Corvair parts cars - to help keep our stuff on the road - hopefully as long as we live. ;-)
(5) Is one of our Wayne 100 boats (Corvair powered)
(6) Nov 14, 2012 Ultravans #362 and #512 arrived. We are getting closer to our goal of having an Ultravan museum.
We now own; UV248, UV256, UV362, UV512, and UV520 will hopefully be here July 2013.
(7) I saved Ultravan #231 from the scarp yard this year. It arrived May 9, 2013 and I plan to flip this one with a mid-engine Subaru power plant.

Posted by: Jonathan Knapp ()
Date: January 15, 2018 10:26AM

Tony -

Thanks for the inquiry. I've run into some challenges. I ended up using an assembly lube that rusted (unbelievable but yes, rusted!) the crank journals. Everything had to come apart for that to be polished out. Then, after getting the heads flowed and the ports reworked for even, optimal flow numbers, I've decided to rethink the cam. For the autocross application, I probably had too much duration for the low-end torque that I would like to have and for the eventual supercharger. So I'm back in line to have a new cam made.

Additionally, I've had regular life events intervene to slow me down: we're remodeling the downstairs bedroom and bath and I bought a cheap truck with a dead motor (future tow vehicle) and put a new engine in it. However, I've continued to work on other aspects of the car. See the thread on Subtracting Weight from the Rear of the Autocrosser.

Stay tuned. Hope to get the engine project back front and center soon.

Jonathan Knapp
Seattle, WA
'66 Corsa Autocrosser

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.