home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
REPORTS!! CCF + fb/COG MEET!! Ft. Wayne, IN. May 19th-20th
Posted by: Caveman_1960 ()
Date: January 30, 2017 06:51AM

Did the subject line get your attention? There has been a lot of talk about how to interest new blood in the Corvair Hobby and specifically new members for our National club, CORSA. Currently it looks like the trend is toward Social Media (Facebook). The Facebook-based Corvair Owner's Group has over 4,300 members. CORSA falls far short of that number. So it would make sense that if we are looking for new folks that are pre-disposed to liking Corvairs the COG would be a good place to start. Yes? So here is my pitch:

Located halfway between Chicago and Detroit, Fort Wayne, Indiana used to have an active local Corvair club - The Mad Anthony Corvair Club. Graying of the membership and other factors lead to the club disbanding and that meant their annual Corvair event was gong to close down as well. Last year a couple of folks from the Detroit club tried to revive it, but I guess the weather didn't cooperate and the turnout was poor. So what about this year?

Enter the COG! We are going to put on an event at Don Hall's Guesthouse in Fort Wayne on May 19th and 20th. Room rate is $84 and that includes breakfast for two at the on-site restaurant. You can upgrade for an extra $20 to include two dinners as well. There will not be any charge for registering for this event. It will be just a weekend gathering of Corvairs and Corvair friends in the parking lot at the Guesthouse. If enough people register at the hotel we will have a hospitality room available for our use. If anyone wants to bring Corvair spares or other parts we have room for an outside swap meet.

You can go to the Corvair Owner's Group Facebook page to see details and "sign-up". Any questions you can PM me as I will be working with the COG to pull this event off. So what do you think? - Caveman Pete

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2017 04:30PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CCF + COG = Ft. Wayne in May?
Posted by: 2ragtops ()
Date: January 30, 2017 07:40AM

Pete

We attended that show many times in the past. Great times for sure.

If this one gets started, we will be there, nice accomodations

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1966 Corsa Convert 180 wood wheel tele-column am-fm sport steering posi-traction
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown V8 mounted mid-body temporarily red lined for repair
House Springs, Missouri

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: January 30, 2017 08:04AM

A short 2,310 mile drive for me. smiling bouncing smileysmiling bouncing smileysmiling bouncing smiley

Paso Robles CA-Unsafe at Any Landspeed-Sidewinders (SCTA Charter Member 1934)-CORSA Member-Central Coast Corsa-Ventura County Corvair-V8 Registry-Corvanatics-California Angels Fan Since 1978...World Series Champs 2002 & 6 AL West Division Titles-So Cal Gas Since 1974 Rehired Seasonally Now Retired Again-Vairy V8 (AKA SuperVair) ADE 506 Cube BBC/PG/QC L/M Coupe-148.253 MPH Landspeed F/BFALT L/M Coupe-1965 Ugly Duck 110/PG Monza Coupe-B&M Blown Methanol 3.1L Mid Engine Funco Sandrail-2013 Ford F250 Super Duty XLT Four Door Crew Cab Short Bed 6.7 Powerstroke-Grand Design Momuntum 350M Luxury Toy Hauler-When I Grow Up I'm Selling Everything and Buying a Vintage Triple Weber 911S Because I'll Never be Able to Afford the Miura!!!

Posted by: bbakerga ()
Date: January 30, 2017 08:09AM

My dad (who died in 1978) founded the Mad Anthony Corvair Club in Ft Wayne. So this is a little sad/sweet for me. It was actually a big chapter when I was a kid. I can remember a couple of Yenkos in the club and the first time I peered over the rear panel into a Spyder engine compartment with my older brother.

I wanted a Spyder convertible from then on. The one I finally bought... which is the one I am restoring now (and the late models I had before that) have always made me feel connected to my dad in some way.

I hope this event can get revived and I'll try to get some of my Ft Wayne Corvair friends to participate as well. I feel like it is a tiny part of his legacy.

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: January 30, 2017 08:51AM

Our family has attended this event for 4 out of the last 5 years (including last year).
I remember meeting both Bob and Pete there in the past.

We have always looked forward to it and would like to attend again, but we don't do Facebook. Any other way to sign up?

Kevin
Medina, OH

Posted by: 2ragtops ()
Date: January 30, 2017 11:05AM

I am with you Kevin

We don't do social media for obvious reasons.

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1966 Corsa Convert 180 wood wheel tele-column am-fm sport steering posi-traction
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown V8 mounted mid-body temporarily red lined for repair
House Springs, Missouri

Posted by: Caveman_1960 ()
Date: January 30, 2017 12:06PM

You don't need to be a Facebook user to attend or "sign-up" for this event. I have contacted the hotel and reserved a room block for May 19th and May 20th. If you want to stay over just call the hotel (260-289-2524) and make a reservation with them. Please mention the Corvair Club to get the special rate and get us credit toward the hospitality room. If you just want to come for a day or two and are local then just show up! What could be more simple? Hoping we get a good turn out and can plan to continue this event into the future. - Pete

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 30, 2017 12:09PM

With our 18,755 members we should be able to get a dozen to attend!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: WhenIm64 ()
Date: January 30, 2017 12:48PM

A mere 11-hour drive for me... I might just do it!

WhyImWhenIm64

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: January 30, 2017 02:34PM

I'm a Corsa member but not a COG member, I do have Facebook, my wife did it. It's a but far for me, I might make it some year but too much already this year and it's still January. I would like to see more events like this because it's easier to host so more clubs could do it but I know others expect to have the opportunity for an award.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: dragvairclark ()
Date: January 30, 2017 04:07PM

I'll be there if my Corvair starts after sitting frozen in the driveway all winter

Clark Hartzel, Fraser, MI
1965 Monza coupe

Date: March 22, 2017 08:31AM

Hotel phone number was listed incorrectly above.
The correct hotel registration phone number is: (260) 489-2524.

Just registered; hope to see some of you there!

Kevin
Medina, OH

Posted by: Am-Iron ()
Date: May 07, 2017 11:37AM

This event is getting near. No need to sign up, information is in the above posts. Thanks to Pete for organizing this!!

1965 Monza road race build, 1965 Corsa Convertible, 1961 Lakewood, 1964 Rampside
Facebook Groups:
Corvair Racers [www.facebook.com]
Corvair Owners Group [www.facebook.com]
Corvair Trader [www.facebook.com]
Allen Amrine Colorado Springs, CO. 303-325-5968

Re: CCF + fb-COG MEET!! Ft. Wayne, IN. May 19th-20th
Posted by: jasvair ()
Date: May 08, 2017 06:04AM

I will be there vending parts on Saturday. If you need me to bring something special just let me know.

John Sweet
John's Corvair Parts

Posted by: VairKing ()
Date: May 16, 2017 04:36PM

Posted by: dragvairclark ()
Date: May 17, 2017 04:43AM

True Corvair enthusiasts don't care about the weather! Just come!

Clark Hartzel, Fraser, MI
1965 Monza coupe

Re: CCF + fb/COG MEET!! Ft. Wayne, IN. May 19th-20th
Posted by: Am-Iron ()
Date: May 19, 2017 04:06PM

Here are a couple of pictures from Tim Bramble.

1965 Monza road race build, 1965 Corsa Convertible, 1961 Lakewood, 1964 Rampside
Facebook Groups:
Corvair Racers [www.facebook.com]
Corvair Owners Group [www.facebook.com]
Corvair Trader [www.facebook.com]
Allen Amrine Colorado Springs, CO. 303-325-5968

Attachments:

Date: May 19, 2017 06:01PM

We are here, too... but without a Corvair.
This morning I got the rear tires balanced (one of the weights had fallen off).
We had the car packed up and left but didn't get more than a mile before I had to turn around.
Feels like only half the cylinders are firing (no power, stumbling).

Then we drove for hours through the deluge.
But we are safely here and looking forward to tomorrow.
My kids haven't been here since 2014.

Kevin
Medina, OH

Date: May 20, 2017 12:24PM

Well, it's been a very rainy 36 hours.
Rain stopped long enough this morning to buy from a couple vendors (John Sweet & Paul Fox).

Conversed for a while with Bob Witt (BobWitt), Clark Hartzel (dragvair), and Mike McKeel amongst others.
No one wore nametags, so identifying was difficult.

Hard to believe, but there were NO 4-door LMs that I could see.

Picked up a few mechanical tips, which made it all worthwhile!

Kevin
Medina, OH

Re: REPORTS!! CCF + fb/COG MEET!! Ft. Wayne, IN. May 19th-20th
Posted by: BobWitt ()
Date: May 20, 2017 02:56PM

Kevin- good.to meet you and the family! A rainy day at a Corvair show is preferred to many, many other options!

BobWitt - South East Michigan
Member: Corsa and DACC

1966 Corsa 140 - Follow my build On CorvairForum

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.