Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
OT anyone here live in WY ?
Posted by: ROD ()
Date: January 17, 2017 07:48PM

Thinking about making a trip out that way. PM's ok too

Rod Tetrault
El Cajon , CA
65 Corsa Yenko Clone / 65 Corsa EO Creampuff Vert
66 Corsa "JIMISH" Mid engine Turbo LS1 currently 2nd fastest Corvair in the USA
Corvair powered Buggy x 3
Enough hidden parts to build a space ship

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT anyone here live in WY ?
Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: January 17, 2017 08:23PM

What part?

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: ROD ()
Date: January 17, 2017 08:46PM

Don't know yet that's why I'm fishin

Rod Tetrault
El Cajon , CA
65 Corsa Yenko Clone / 65 Corsa EO Creampuff Vert
66 Corsa "JIMISH" Mid engine Turbo LS1 currently 2nd fastest Corvair in the USA
Corvair powered Buggy x 3
Enough hidden parts to build a space ship

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 18, 2017 04:02AM

ROD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thinking about making a trip out that way. PM's ok
> too

Just spoke with your buddy,Cheney. He says to wait 5 months for the thaw and the wind to subside.

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: January 18, 2017 04:36AM

I live 45 minutes from the border...it's windy up there!

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
Other fun stuff - 1997 Spec Boxster Race Car #94 - 2018 Panamera Turbo ST -- 2022 Macan GTS -- 2019 Golf R 6MT -- 2015 S60 P* -- 2021 F-250 HCTTP Diesel -- Haulmark race trailer
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: January 18, 2017 04:38AM

Want wind...visit motohead!!!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 18, 2017 04:49AM

Mom was a cocktail waitress at the "Bowl-o-Rama"
Dad was in the Air force (SAC) guarding ICBM's.
Lived in a single-wide trailer outside of Cheyenne.

It was hell.

Posted by: glivorsi ()
Date: January 18, 2017 06:43AM

I took a motorcycle tour through there back in '96. I was surprised at how arid most of the state is. This was before Google earth and such. I had a contour map that showed it was hilly so I just assumed it would be endless mountains of pine. It's long rolling terrain with that's rocky with low brush. However the mountain ranges are beautiful. Obviously there are Yosemite and Grand Tetons National Parks, but there is another range that runs through the eastern third of the state that is stunning. If you're in the area and have time, I would also suggest seeing the Black Hills.

Greg in Wildwood, MO (part of the St. Louis urban sprawl)

1965 Monza Vert 110PG, Crocus Yellow with black interior and top

2014 Honda Accord V6 (DD)
2017 Honda Pilot (wifemobile)
2012 Chevy Sonic 1.8L (kid's car)
1997 Honda CBR1100XX
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 (no longer own)

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: January 18, 2017 07:37AM

I'll be riding out to that area by motorcycle the end of July and first of August.

North of Jellystone Park is the village of Cooke City. They are proud of the fact that they don't have a traffic light anywhere in town. It's a great jump off point to go over Beartooth Pass to Red Lodge. Beartooth is one of the "must see" scenic roads in the country.
We'll be touring the area after exploring Colorado, the Black Hills and the Sturgis Bike Rally.
Devils Tower is in the North East end of the state. Vairy much Worth a look.

smileys with beer

Corventure Dave

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: January 18, 2017 07:50AM

Yosemite NP is in California and is stunning. Yellowstone NP is in a number of states and huge. There current problem is there are too many buffalo. All of these places have something southern Californians have never imagined: WINTER.

Posted by: 1STLM ()
Date: January 18, 2017 08:07AM

Be careful venturing into any mountain ranges this time of year, especially if you are going off state highways and not driving a 4 wheel drive. People have gotten stuck in snow, left their vehicles and died of hypothermia. That happens somewhere, almost every year. The Bighorns are another mtn range worth seeing.

Brice

66 Corsa Turbo Convertible

Bozeman, Montana

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: January 18, 2017 08:25AM

What are you going to do?

There is Jackson Hole - by the Tetons.

You can take a winter tour (commercial) into Yellowstone NP on the main road - do not know the rules - Do not think you can take your personal vehicle. Think snowmobiles were allowed (permit? / limit?) - do not know if that is the case anymore.

There are ski areas around Yellowstone - north in Montana, also.

It will be cold and windy - blowing snow, icy roads - even possible whiteouts.

When finishing I80 between Rawlings and Laramie, "they" took a shortcut - thru an area that gets a lot of snow - so I80 can be closed during heavy snow storms.

I would say much more pleasant in summer - with a lot more people

Posted by: glivorsi ()
Date: January 18, 2017 08:47AM

Timothy Shortle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yosemite NP is in California and is stunning.
> Yellowstone NP is in a number of states and huge.
> There current problem is there are too many
> buffalo. All of these places have something
> southern Californians have never imagined: WINTER.

Woops! My mistake. I often get them confused. I should know better as I was in Yosemite a few years back.

When I was at Yellowstone they had just had some pretty major forest fires the year before. Hopefully it has grown back some by now. Another ugly part of the park that you don't often hear about is that the little geysers and mudpots that pop up spew out sulphuric acid that kills much of the immediate surrounding forest. Lots of stands of dead trees to look at.

Greg in Wildwood, MO (part of the St. Louis urban sprawl)

1965 Monza Vert 110PG, Crocus Yellow with black interior and top

2014 Honda Accord V6 (DD)
2017 Honda Pilot (wifemobile)
2012 Chevy Sonic 1.8L (kid's car)
1997 Honda CBR1100XX
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 (no longer own)

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: January 18, 2017 09:02AM

In 2012 We rode around and through Yellowstone Park. The devastation from the fires of the 1980's is still obvious throughout much of the park. Unlike just outside the National park where trees have been replanted, we were told by park rangers that Federal parks do not re-plant, because if the fire is natural, like from the lightning in the 1980's, the vegetation has to return on it's own.
I remember Yellowstone from the 1970's. It was spectacular back then. Today there are nice picnic areas and vista views surrounded by acres and acres of dead burnt out trees.
But even with this, the park is still a really great natural place to experience and see.

If you tip the right Park Ranger... he will have Old Faithful blow so you can get a good picture!winking smiley grinning smiley

Corventure Dave

Posted by: 1STLM ()
Date: January 18, 2017 11:16AM

The only Yellowstone road that are plowed in the winter runs between Gardiner and Cooke City, Mt.

Ya Dave, there is a valve for Old Faithful, inside the lodge, that they open up every hour. Think it even has a Corvair steering wheel attached!

Brice

66 Corsa Turbo Convertible

Bozeman, Montana

Posted by: denver66 ()
Date: January 18, 2017 08:13PM

I don't live in Wyoming but have taken some memorable road trips through this geographically diverse state. If you're traveling in the summer months consider taking Hwy 14A west out of Sheridan over the Bighorn Mtns (make sure your brakes are good) and into Cody. Lots of medium speed curves and plenty of great views.

Cody is home to the Buffalo Bill Historical Center which houses, among many other things Western, one of the most comprehensive American firearms collections you'll ever see. A person could spend an entire day at the 5 different museums there at the Center. And if you head NW out of Cody you can pick up the scenic Beartooth Highway and head up to Red Lodge, MT. Happy Motoring!

Posted by: BigMike1955 ()
Date: January 18, 2017 09:57PM

Actual Wyomingite weighing in here...well, born in Colorado but have lived in Wyoming for the last 44 years or so. Jackson Hole was -24 this morning when I headed in to work. I'd wait until Summer winking smiley August 21st will be the solar eclipse and this part of the state across (heading east from the Grand Teton Park area) to Thermopolis and Casper will all be in the shadow for, oh, about 2-and-a-half minutes around 10:30 a.m. Lots of Freaks and Geeks are expected for that...will you fit in with 'em? Feel free to message me for any info you'd like. Happy to help here. I have a daughter in Laramie and family all over the Cowboy State, so can probably steer you in the right direction... My best, Mike

Date: January 19, 2017 07:02AM

A Solar Eclipse 2017 "Corvairs in the Dark" would be a great event!
What better place to gather than Grand Teton National Park!
August 21 is on Monday, so a long weekend gathering would be great.
Any chance of organizing this at the airport? Maybe have a Fly-In and Car Show out there that day!

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CCF admin ~
CORSA +Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.