home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 60 about to get its new engine!
Posted by: GWLee ()
Date: April 21, 2017 06:13AM

Well it has been a long road, to get to this point. Trying to find paint that matched resulted in money being thrown away, on paint that was no where close to my original color.

It took numerous trips to get the correct color but finally managed to find a fella that had what I needed. But it slowed me down on getting the car on the road.

The suspension work is done and everything looks great. I will post a picture of it later. But I just finished painting the engine compartment yesterday and am now getting ready to reinstall everything.

I just about threw in the towel on the paint. Glad I tried just one more fella.

This is only one side of the engine compartment, but I can add more if you want to see it.

Now to finish up and put everything back in the car!

Yehaw!

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
In the Beautiful state of
North/East KY!

Not the best pic, but the only I had from then, 1997!

2016!

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: April 21, 2017 06:57AM

Super nice work Lee. That is something to be proud of. thumbs up

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: April 21, 2017 07:28AM

Looks great Lee. Patience is required while doing any car work and the more detailed the project the more patience is needed. You will be enjoying the car on the open road soon. Good luck

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: April 21, 2017 03:56PM

Steve I sure hope so. Trying to find this correct paint has been a nightmare. I've been all over the tristate looking and spent money on paint to no avail. But it is done, I got enough for touch up and have found a way to store it, long term.

Everyone said if we scan it we will get a perfect match, all I can say is, it didn't work. There is something about this paint and color, and richard1 knows what I mean, a camera can take 3 pictures and not one of them will be the same or close in color.

It took a small parts store, that took the time to mix it up. And he used the info I had from the original supplier, that was on the old can. He mixed by that formula on the can and it came out perfect. The other places said they couldn't mix by the formula, but he did.

This has slowed me down significantly on getting my car back on the road. Now I can only hope there is summer left by the time I finish it. I'm slow, I can only handle an hour of work or two a day. The painting laid me up for two days, couldn't work because I couldn't walk.

Stig, thanks so much, it does look so much better and with everything on the engine and everything else that has a fresh new finish, it will look nice.

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
North/East KY!

2016!

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: April 21, 2017 04:17PM

Looking good.

Yes, colors are like that. This is a piece of my interior trim that had been covered for so many years, next to the final paint. I love that final paint but in some light it is not very close to the original.

Of course part of it is the titanium and aluminum

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Date: April 22, 2017 06:46AM

Here are a few more pics.

The last is the refresh on the suspension. I had it finished and looked great, until the body shop got over spray on everything.

Looks good again.

Started some assembly yesterday.

My big wire on the main harness connector has melted into the plastic plug. I have a good one and am switching it out. But boy that spade is fused too the plastic making hard to change it out.

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
North/East KY!

2016!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2017 06:49AM by GWLee.

Attachments:

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.