home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
60 about to get its new engine!
Posted by: GWLee ()
Date: January 07, 2017 09:52AM

Spent last winter going over this new engine going in the 60. New seals everywhere and anything else it needed. Then spent a lot of time cleaning everything and repainting. Also installed most all new bolts and screws, that can be seen. Ran out of time last year to get it in. I needed the transmission from the car to clean and reseal before I could put it all back in the car. I didn't want the car off the road during summer.

So this week I started getting things ready to pull the drive train. Well as of yesterday it is now out. I started pulling off the last few things I need to transfer over to the new engine and transaxle.

While I have things out, my plans are to get the rest of the engine tins repainted and to reseal the transmission. Also to clean up the area above the transmission and paint the underside. Then to repaint the engine compartment and install the new wiring harness and add the wires for back up lights.

Still gonna be awhile before it is done, but hope to have it ready for spring. My only concern was the differential I am putting in came from my parts car and I have no idea what the condition of it was. Checked it out and cleaned it all and it looked good, so time will tell.

Also rebuilt new axles with all new bearings.

Here are a couple of pics. The new engine is now sporting carbs and fuel lines, and also distributor and all the parts off the old engine. But I didn't take a picture of it, as of yesterday. The pics of the new engine was a week or so back.

New engine first, last pic old engine right after it was removed.

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
In the Beautiful state of
North/East KY!

Not the best pic, but the only I had from then, 1997!

2016!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2017 10:01AM by GWLee.

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 60 about to get its new engine!
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: January 08, 2017 06:15AM

Looking Good Lee!!!

Paso Robles CA-Unsafe at Any Landspeed-Sidewinders (SCTA Charter Member 1934)-CORSA Member-Central Coast Corsa-Ventura County Corvair-V8 Registry-Corvanatics-California Angels Fan Since 1978...World Series Champions 2002 & 9 AL West Division Titles-So Cal Gas Since 1974 Rehired as Contractor Seasonally-Vairy V8 (AKA SuperVair) ADE 506 Cube BBC/PG/QC L/M Coupe-148.253 MPH Landspeed F/BGALT Late Model Coupe-B&M Blown Methanol 3.1L Mid Engine Funco Sandrail-1965 Ugly Duck 110/PG Monza Coupe Parts Car-2013 Ford F250 Super Duty XLT Four Door Crew Cab Short Bed 6.7 Powerstroke-Grand Design Momuntum 350M Luxury Toy Hauler-When I Grow Up I'm Selling Everything and Buying a Vintage Triple Weber 911S Because I'll Never be Able to Afford the Miura!!!

Date: January 08, 2017 07:58AM

Thanks Phil, I need to get a pic up with the engine d complete. Once I get some other things painted I will. It is amazing how much time it takes to clean and paint everything when you are a perfectionist. Always looking at details.

Thanks

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
North/East KY!

2016!

Date: January 23, 2017 03:30PM

Well gonna have to get some pics posted but, finished up the pg transmission today. New seals and general clean up, which pictures really will not show anything.

Tomorrow separate the transaxle from the engine of which all I'm using from it is the transmission and torque converter. It is being transfered to the new differential and engine.

Then finish pulling the axles to start the clean up and repaint of the engine compartment.

You spend so much time taking things apart and cleaning and painting that it doesn't look like you've done much.

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
North/East KY!

2016!

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: January 24, 2017 04:22AM

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: January 24, 2017 05:46AM

Engine details are great looking Lee. Cleaning parts is extremely time consuming and everyone here already knows that fact. It pays off when someone asks to see your engine and you raise the lid. Great effort!

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: January 24, 2017 06:16AM

Richard1 and Steve, all this stuff takes a lot of time for sure. But what I had in the engine compartment was embarrassing. The car looked nice until you raised the hood. But the guy that painted it just threw some paint on as a favor to me. He didn't charge for it, directly.

I knew I would eventually do this even if I hadn't found another engine, because I had planned to rebuild it. But I promise their will be pics before and after with fresh paint.

Thanks so much, and the hard time consuming work will pay off.

Lee

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
North/East KY!

2016!

Posted by: igottajob2 ()
Date: January 24, 2017 06:56AM

Looks GREAT!!!! smileys with beer

Minneapolis,MN

1965 500 Coupe
95HP

Built the 1st week of April of 65 at willow run.
500 coupe. The only factory accessory is a rear antenna.
White with a red interior.
Now black with black and red interior.

Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: January 25, 2017 12:12AM

Very nice! Remember to remove flapper to install fuel lines! Also, PM if you need any miscellaneous hardware.
Crawford

Date: January 25, 2017 06:16AM

Well here are a few last pics. The engine is almost complete. Only thing left is to plug in the spark plug wires and install the main fuel line, and the throttle rods, which I will finish when I get the everything bolted together, transaxle and engine

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
North/East KY!

2016!

Attachments:

Date: January 25, 2017 06:24AM

Here are a few pics of the engine compartment.

Dad had sprayed some of the rust proofing paint from Eastwood's, the red paint. I'm stripping it and applying por15 after I get it removed.

Also you can see the lack of paint around the engine compartment in a couple of the other pics. This is why it is being redone. I guess the body shop painted all they could reach, but they painted stuff they shouldnt have, and didn't paint in other places.

Soon this will all be fixed.

The thing that made me sick was my suspension. I had all that stuff looking so nice, new paint and all. They didn't cover my wheel wells and primer flew all over it. Now I have to repaint everything again.

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
North/East KY!

2016!

Attachments:

Date: January 25, 2017 06:27AM

One last picture, for a question.

This bolt in the center of the pic, what is this for?

This is a 64 differential by the way, which I am replacing.

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
North/East KY!

2016!

Attachments:
Date: January 25, 2017 06:32AM

Here is the transmission. I finished up resealing and cleaned the filter. Just need to put a coat of paint on it before I put it in the car. I decided to hold off on painting it, until I'm ready to install to keep from scratching up the paint, while it sits waiting. Then I will also paint the differential then as well.

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
North/East KY!

2016!

Attachments:
Date: January 25, 2017 06:34AM

I dont have the choke and air cleaner installed on the engine. But it has all been redone, as well. I have to install it last because the 60 choke and air cleaner sit so high, I can't install the engine with it in place.

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
North/East KY!

2016!

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: January 25, 2017 07:46AM

Not a bolt Lee it is pipe plug for axle dipstick tube used on 64 models

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: January 25, 2017 10:02AM

Steve I had suspected that might have been the case. But wasn't certain.

Thanks so much.
Your a scholar and a gentleman!

Lee

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
North/East KY!

2016!

Date: January 25, 2017 02:13PM

caroseiii Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very nice! Remember to remove flapper to install
> fuel lines! Also, PM if you need any miscellaneous
> hardware.
> Crawford

Thanks Crawford, I got all the fuel lines ran but under the air control ring. It is nice having them tucked under out of the way. Now the main fuel line isn't installed yet.

I'm not sure of anything I need, as of yet, a lot of stuff I recovered from the parts car. And the choke assembly I received from Steve G. He had one cleaned and ready for install. Mine had an issue with the plunger on the choke and another spare was missing a plug, on that same valve.

I may need to remove it to run the main fuel line, didn't think of that one. But I'm on the fence about replacing it. The one I have is OK, but I've replaced all the other lines.

But if I find something I'll give you a call or should say PM.

Thanks so much. Your exhaust manifold sure helped out.

Lee

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
North/East KY!

2016!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2017 02:16PM by GWLee.

Date: January 31, 2017 03:05PM

Well been a few days since I posted but I have been busy.

Finished up installing the fuel lines,

Crawford had to unbolt the air control valve to install the main fuel line and the gas heater line. Also had a time getting them to not hit the bottom of the arm on the flapper, as you called it, so it would close all the way. That was yesterday, also finished up installing the distributor and plugging up the spark plug wires.

Today, replace the trans mounts that I purchased from Murphy. Tell ya what, spent all afternoon just trying to get all the bolts out, to purchase new at the hardware store.

Those two front bolts are a real trick trying to remove. I tried to use a 9/16th crowsfoot on the end of an extension to hold the top head of the bolt. That didn't work to well. Was gonna take an old wrench and heat it with the torch to bend the head in order to reach that stinkin bolt head. I tried an air chisel, after I fixed it. Then a hammer and chisel. Finally broke out the cut off saw with a new disc. Cut the side of the nut off, without nicking the emergency brake cable or hitting anything else, not wanted. That finally ended the ordeal.

So now tomorrow get the new bolts and nuts for the new mounts and finish up some clean up of grease around where the gas lines and such come in to the engine transmission area. Then start painting all of that area.

Then start sanding and prepping the engine compartment, which was why I started all this.

Wish I knew and easier way to remove those two bolts.

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
North/East KY!

2016!

Date: February 07, 2017 11:29AM

While working on the engine compartment I started wondering what these holes are for. There is 2 more 9n the other side.

Anyone have an idea why GM put these 4 holes with covers? They just open into the fender wells.

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
North/East KY!

2016!

Attachments:
Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: February 07, 2017 08:05PM

Body alignment. The later cars have them too with pkastic carplugs in them.

Crawford Rose

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.