Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Oil Cooler sideplates??
Posted by: Matt Nall ()
Date: March 06, 2005 06:17PM

How many run them? Do they really make a difference?

Anyone with a "too hot oil temp" who did nothing else but add the side[end]plate? An solved their problem?

They're simple to make / install...so I'll do it anyways!

Attachments:
Re: Oil Cooler sideplates??
Posted by: David Clamp ()
Date: March 06, 2005 06:29PM

I have them on my AC equipped car. I haven't compared temps on this car, but on another 140 (without AC) I used to have, the stock head temp was maybe 30 degrees cooler. I know it isn't a precision instrument, but in this case, it is fine for the comparison.

I don't have any oil temp figures though, but it makes a difference on head temp since you don't have all that hot air re-entering the engine compartment from the sides of the oil cooler.

Posted by: "UNSAFE" ()
Date: March 06, 2005 08:07PM

I never noticed any difference either way up here in Alaska but the glaciers and icebergs help keep my motor cool !

On trips to Tahoe and Flagstaff my oil temp would reach about 260 on the long steep inclines but cool right back down to about 220- 230 on the flat highway(70-80mph) with only the outer plate installed.
Up here I can hardly get it to move the gauge before I run out of road.

Easy to make using thin aluminum, just bend over table edge.

Pic attached but I simplified the ones I'm using now.

A thick bead of silicone or heavy duty weatherstripping on top of the cooler at each end will do essentially the same thing by blocking airflow out of the ends.

Sealing the edges of the top shroud would probably make more difference in temp though.

"UNSAFE"

Attachments:
Posted by: steve goodman ()
Date: March 06, 2005 09:15PM

Hello Matt: I have them on every engine of mine. I modified the dimensions for the 8 plates also and put them on any of the customers' cars that run on the highway or in the mountains. I made templates and cut them out like GM designed them but anything that keeps the air from getting out the sides of the cooler will work.

My oil temp in my 3.0L turbo will touch 260 degrees on hot days across Nevada. This is with 2 quart extra oil pan, the side shields and a 12 plate cooler. I wouldn't want to guess what the temp would be without all of those pieces with the larger engine. BTW, my head temps will only be 400 degrees at the same time. Needless to say, the fins are always kept clean. Speed is usually a little over the posted limit.

Regards, Steve

Posted by: Matt Nall ()
Date: March 06, 2005 09:39PM

Thanks all for the info !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.