Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
It's Not In The Tech Guide !!
Posted by: "UNSAFE" ()
Date: March 06, 2005 01:58PM

Please help me.

My computer is starting to go thru another total meltdown and among other things I have not been receiving email for over a week. It started getting much worse after I installed the Mcafee total protection/security service package.

I realize this seems a little off topic but my computer is used for corvair related stuff 99% of the time and to ME this is a CORVAIR PROBLEM !

I couldn't find the answer in the Tech guide and the guys on the computer forums I found on Google don't speak English.

I am going to buy a new computer next week. My question is-- What do I look for. I have heard people mention Macintosh operating systems as being better but I don't even know what an operating system is and I don't want to have to learn it all over again.

I am on a cable modem with windows 98 now.
I only want to be able to surf the net (quickly) and have a photo editing program and lots of storage for pictures and probably word for doing Eb@y text. No games.

I don't know the difference between a bit, a byte, RAM or any of the other terms used in computers.
I will probably be shopping at the local Costco.

Can someone PLEASE tell me what to look for when buying a new computer.
Specs? Ram,Rom,bit,byte, mega mofos or ?.

Cost is not a major factor.
I wish there was a tech guide for this #@%&* stuff.

I think my Yahoo address is still working at kbwillson@yahoo.com.
Thanks for any input.
"UNSAFE"
Kevin Willson
65 Monza

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: It's Not In The Tech Guide !!
Posted by: bruno carrier ()
Date: March 06, 2005 02:22PM

Hi,

Macintosh are good. but for you, since you had a compatable pc, i suggest you go with pc, the added benefit is that you old program should work on the new pc and if the old pc is not dead, you could transfer the data of the old hard drive.

Here what to look for:

Pentium IV, 2 GHZ and up (speed of the processor) warning you do not want a Celeron processor these are low end processor and slower too.

a minimum of 256 Ram ( space for the computer to work), idealy 512 meg

today PC comes with a minimum of 40Gbytes of storage of hard drive(use for program and pictures)

a regular flat screen not (lcd, too expensive), the market is 17 inches

a network card, sound card, these are usally built in

try to get an optical mouse and a regular Keyborad

Microsoft windows XP, a good antivirus program (like symantec norton)

hope this help you

Regards

Bruno
monza 1965

Posted by: David Clamp ()
Date: March 06, 2005 02:51PM

Oh....do not reinstall the McAfee security suite.

AVG free antivirus protection: [free.grisoft.com]
Zone Alarm free Firewall: [www.zonealarm.com]

PCs or Macs?
Posted by: Larry Forman ()
Date: March 06, 2005 03:04PM

Hi Kevin,
Here are some of my thoughts:
1. While 2GHz would be wonderful, for your use, 800 MHz should work fine. The 2GHz would really only be required for computionally intensive work like video rendering. Not needed AT ALL for e-mail.
2. Get XP service pack 2 with firewall enabled and it should provide initial security safety, but maintain a virus updating service and continually evaluate the best ones currently available. A free anti-virus service is grisoft.com, avg virus scan.
3. Ask me further questions off-line if you have any teenagers who might have access to this machine. Specifically, prevent any P2P file sharing since it provides a very dangerous security breach. WINMX is an exceedingly dangerous program in the wrong (or innocent) hands.
4. Bruno's suggests are very good. It depends upon what you really want and if you think you might need additional bells and whistles. I like having a 20-inch monitor since that is my window into viewing the pictures and display.
5. My personal preference is for an optical trackball versus an optical mouse, but strictly perference based, since it takes less desk real estate to operate.
-- Larry

Posted by: "UNSAFE" ()
Date: March 06, 2005 03:07PM

>>>Oh....do not reinstall the McAfee security suite.<<<

I just disabled my mcafee security suite and now suddenly I have over 600 new emails.
computer still seems real slow though.

"UNSAFE"

Posted by: Bob Gill ()
Date: March 06, 2005 03:16PM

Maybe that's why you're not answering my emails...

Just my opinion, I think McAffee is (explitive deleted). I've had very good results with Norton.

Posted by: bruno carrier ()
Date: March 06, 2005 04:25PM

Hi Larry,

The problem with an 800MHZ, you can not get them no more at least new, the market is about the upper 2GHz. Unless Kevin wants to buy used, which I stongly desagree. because no warranty!

XP SP2 needs a lot of power!

Regards

Bruno

Posted by: Bill Hatfield ()
Date: March 06, 2005 05:47PM

Hey Kevin, I too have no knowledge of computers and only use it for the internet. I did just buy a Comaq from Wal Mart for 494$. It came with windows xp and it works great with my cable modem. I think it will serve your purpose just fine.

Posted by: Matt Nall ()
Date: March 06, 2005 06:11PM

1 Bills right! but since you shop at Eddy's Igloo...gggg

www.dell.com/tv ask for the $459 free ship has everything 2.8ghz or better...

2 Your Macafee is WORKING!!! YOU NEED to tell it what is OK to recieve!!

See ya soon!

Posted by: Curtis ()
Date: March 06, 2005 09:16PM

Hi Kevin,

I build my own computers all the time. For what you want, the market is way ahead of you. The package deals out there are loaded down with programs that you will never use, but your paying for. I could help you build one, or build one for you, for less money and higher performance then you'll get with a "package deal". (without all the useless crap) This is esspacially true if you already have a monitor, keyboard and mouse. All you need is the "box".

My services are open to you as well as anyone else that doesn't want to be roped into the scam that is "package computers".

Just a little note on low budget computer packages...

It takes 256mb of ram to run windows XP home addition alone. This is all that these budget computers come with. This means that if you open any other program, the ram is alread used up so it will run slow. So now to get your PC moving faster when running programs you need to spend another 50-$100 on more ram. That's on top of the $500+ you spent on the computer.

For under $500 you can build one that is blazzing fast, could even have 1gig of ram (that's 4X the 256) and winXP pro! Your choice. My offer is out there.

Curtis

P.S. It's the least i can do kevin, you know what i'm refering to.

Posted by: Curtis ()
Date: March 06, 2005 09:28PM

P.P.S.

PC's will always be a better deal then Macs. Mac's only compatition is itself. Pc's have thousands of different companies producing better and better products for less and less money all the time.

For example, 2 or 3 years ago a simple (slow) CD burner (CD-RW) was hundreds of dollars. On top of that, DVD drive where outragious (not to mention DVD-RW's). Now you can pick up a a DVD-Rw/cd-rw combo drive for around a hundred bucks.

If that doesn't sell you on PC's, try upgrading any drive on a DOME! (without external usb stuff all over your dest space) HA!

Posted by: Tom C ()
Date: March 07, 2005 06:24AM

Unsafe,

Like Curtis, I build my own computers so I'm biased against Macs. They are actually pretty easy to build yourself and they can be pretty inexpensive, unlike a Corvair. Unfortunatly, like you Corvair experts, whenever someone finds out that you have the skills to build one, everyone wants you to build them one. I've built 3 in the past 6 months for family. Besides loading the OS, I can assemble one in about an hour. I'm also willing to help you assemble one if you'd like. Send me an email and I'll send you my phone number. Something else to think about is what you want your computer to do. For instance, I installed an ATI All-In-Wonder video card that has a TV tuner built in. I have it connected to my Direct TV dish where I can watch TV, or record TV shows directly to my hard drive. I also have a DVD burner where if there is a show I want to save, I just copy it to a DVD. I even have the PC set up to turn it self on in the middle of the night to record TV shows (it bugs the heck out of my wife when she hears it come on).

Have you thought about getting a laptop? They have them now with larger screens. You can also connect your old keyboard to them if you don't like the small form factor keyboard.

Tom C

Posted by: Joe Huettl ()
Date: March 07, 2005 07:43AM

Hey UNSAFE: My advice, if you're not in a real hurry, would be to build (or have built for you) a customized computer that will have exactly what you want. As cheap, or cheaper, than the mass marketed. I have a friend who builds me a new tower every couple of years for $350.00-$400.00. Find your local computer geek and have a talk.

My .02

Regards,

Joe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.