Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
64 Greenbrier side/ rear window install?
Posted by: fred bagnall ()
Date: November 21, 2016 12:18PM

My rear fixed window was missing when I purchased the van. I have a replacement window with gasket. I thought I would be roping the window in. I looked at the opening and there is only pinch weld up top. I found some metal strips that I think help hold the window in place in lieu of pinch weld. Are there any experts out there familiar with these.
Thanks again for your help Regards, Fred

64 Greenbrier std -110, 4spd,barn find on the road again after 46 year hiatus.
66 Turbo Corsa, 180hp,posi-trac, quick steering HD suspension,AM-FM-multiplex,soft-Ray glass all around
Floridian currently residing in Nor Cal

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2022 08:36AM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 64 Greenbrier rear
Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: November 21, 2016 01:06PM

So, your talking about the "side" rear windows.

I have removed several over the years, but not installed them.
My Greenbrier has the originals and I keep them in good condition with
liquid Glycerine, as I posted elsewhere.

I know some here have done a total repaint and glass install. Looking forward to their advice.thumbs up

Corventure Dave

Posted by: fred bagnall ()
Date: November 21, 2016 02:25PM

Sorry about the vague description regarding the rear window. My post some how got shortened before I managed to post it. I have read the prior thread regarding glycerin and window gaskets. Thanks for that tip Dave. I have already cleaned my gasket, and treated it with glycerin. It looks and feels soft and supple. Hopefully someone with some prior experience will see this and offer some insight.

64 Greenbrier std -110, 4spd,barn find on the road again after 46 year hiatus.
66 Turbo Corsa, 180hp,posi-trac, quick steering HD suspension,AM-FM-multiplex,soft-Ray glass all around
Floridian currently residing in Nor Cal

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: November 20, 2022 09:41AM

Has there ever been any further input/advice regarding the installation of the rear/side fixed glass in the vans?

The "Professionals" installing the glass in mine are having difficulty and that leaves me a bit uncomfortable.(If not outright upset)

Photo 1 shows the front lower corner of the driver side glass where they are "Chipping" away.

Photo 2 shows the passenger side. The cardboard you see has plywood against it with a Port a Power applying pressure from side to side (Cringe).

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Attachments:

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 20, 2022 11:46AM

That is NOT acceptable ! ! !
I would definitely be quite upset about that.
Personally, I think you should tell them to stop and repair your paint-job, THEN learn how to do it correctly, before continuing.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: roger65180 ()
Date: November 21, 2022 05:40AM

first I am not sure from your pictures if the gasket is reversed or not , If you have it correct there is a soft maybe 1/2 to 3/4 in wide thin flap that is the outside of the gasket and just makes it out to the body opening once it is pulled out , by that I mean I used a small plastick screen tool I think it could be roped but is not nessessary , the little metal strips are the retainers .there are 2 for the bottom and 1 on each side they were hard to install and I had new gaskets from clarks , I used a large flat blade screw driver to push them in . you have to find the little bumps on the window frame the metal strips have a flat side and wavy side the flat goes up against the gasket , to install lift gasket to see the bumps place retainer in making sure to ketch both bumps then use the screw driver to push it in . the hardest part for me was installing the trim on the top of the window

Roger R
Madison Wi
62 ct pg turbo
65intercooled 180 4sp,autocrosser
62 Rampy

Re: 64 Greenbrier side/ rear window install?
Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: November 21, 2022 01:23PM

The gaskets are new ones that likely came from Clark's, or maybe even their supplier.
The old gaskets were full if cracks large enough that water getting past them was a concern both in function as well as appearance.

Having never removed these particular pieces of glass, I don't know how things came apart and was not comfortable trying to reinstall them.

I did remove the glass from the rear doors without any issues. When it came to installing them with new weatherstrips, the first one went in easily.
The second installed but the gasket wasn't fully seated and while trying to persuade it into place by tapping gently with the heel/palm of my hand, I cracked the second piece as it was laminated, not tempered.
This increased my concern and doubt about installing the larger side glass pieces, and why I elected to have the "Professional" do the job.

P.S.
I think the error I made with the rear door glass was I used nothing to lubricate the rubber. Hindsight always seems to be 20/20.
I suspect the "Professional" also neglected to use a lubricant.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2022 01:26PM by Caraholic4life.

Re: 64 Greenbrier side/ rear window install?
Posted by: junkman ()
Date: November 21, 2022 08:20PM

I had a backlight installed by a very old and well-established glass shop, and they did a horrible job. They broke the trim clips and didn't realize it until it came to putting the stainless steel moldings on. Then they beat them with a rubber mallet in an attempt to get them to seat. That left the moldings full of dents. Their final solution was to glue the moldings in using urethane. When they drove the car out of the installation bay I didn't look at it first, just went to the cashier and paid for the work. When I got to my car and saw what had happened, I went back in and told the manager. His reply was they are a glass shop, not a restoration shop. I never could get any satisfaction out of them, but they did get a lot of bad publicity from me. That was 20 years ago, and I still continue to tell people never to go there. I doubt the people that screwed up my car are still there, but it is still the same family that owns the shop, and I will never forget or forgive them. Not all that claim to be "professionals" are professional in their work. Buyer beware!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.