Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
OK, another classic car insurance related question
Posted by: Tom C ()
Date: March 03, 2005 10:46AM

Some of the classic car auto insurance websites have online quotes. Some of these quotes give you the option to reject liability coverage, but allow you to choose comprehensive coverage. Does this mean I can carry liability with one company and comprehensive with another?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OK, another classic car insurance related question
Posted by: rick macdonald ()
Date: March 03, 2005 11:21AM

I don't know why you'd want to do it separately..I just got nice coverage on a $5k valued Corvair from Hagerty for a whopping $77/yr, including their roadside assistance.

It actually was a smooth experience from start to end!

-Rick

Posted by: Bill Elliott ()
Date: March 03, 2005 11:23AM

Yes, I believe so... this sorts out the fear that your liability would refuse to pay if you hurt someone/something while using the car outside of the policy limitations.

However, this is an expensive option. I'm with the cheapest insurer in the US (USAA), am old and married with a clean record, and they want $300/yr for basic liability on a Corvair... much more than full coverage is through a classic insurer.

Bill

OK, another classic car insurance related question
Posted by: Steve O ()
Date: March 03, 2005 11:27AM

I'm also with USAA, and like Bill, I can drive anywhere/anytime - no restrictions. Just make sure you understand the "fine print" when insuring with the classic insurance companies.

For example, "garaged" means "in the garage 100% of the time" when not on the road.

Posted by: Chet Reed ()
Date: March 03, 2005 12:14PM

Hmmm, that's a bit odd, I too, have basic liability on just my GMC (primary vehicle) that costs less than $280 a year. Two of my Corvairs, a '66 Monza and a '63 Greenbrier together cost $270 a year and included on the same policy.

Insurance Cost
Posted by: Steve O ()
Date: March 03, 2005 01:04PM

Chet - not too "odd" - just a reflection of different insurance costs around the country. For example, I am now having to pay about 25% more for comprehensive and not quite that much more for a vehicle that it is OK (tornado alley) vs CO. From the pics you have posted, I would guess that you don't live in the city, but rather in a more rural setting. Living in a rural area is usually a good way to significantly lower your vehicle insurance costs.

Posted by: Bob Gill ()
Date: March 03, 2005 01:11PM

Tom, I just wondered if you were planning on bringing your new Vair to the meeting on Saturday.

Posted by: Tom C ()
Date: March 03, 2005 01:42PM

Bob,

I'm going to try. I've got to isolate my carberator leak and fix it before I drive to Irving. 80ish miles round trip and the last thing I need is an engine fire.

Tom C

Posted by: Bob Gill ()
Date: March 03, 2005 03:12PM

I hope you make it as I'm looking forward to seeing it. Happy hunting!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.