Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Wheels for sale
Posted by: Vince Stroud ()
Date: March 02, 2005 09:00PM

All -

I just recieved my new wheels in the mail, and have put my old wheels on Ebay. the Item # is 7959054542. They're 15x7 Monte Carlo SS wheels, they look pretty good on a Corvair. One of them is cracked, the other three are in good driver condition. It's a cheap way to put some different wheels on a Corvair, not too many people have them (a good alternative to the Camaro wheels). Anyway, thanks for the space.

-Vince

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wheels for sale
Posted by: GaryHoffman ()
Date: March 03, 2005 07:42PM

Vince:

What wheels did you get?

Guys:

I have a set of the same type of wheels that Vince is selling, and I agree (althought it is personal choice) that they look great! Beauty trim rings are readily available, and you can buy a variety of caps (tall hats, short hats, caps, spinners). The Monty Carlo wheels are a great offset (I have 235x60's on the back, and 205x60's on the front. Disk Brakes fit under them. Obviously they weigh more than alloy wheels.

I don't know Vince, and I am would not get anything from his sale.

Gary Hoffman

Date: March 04, 2005 05:41AM

Gary:

I bought a set of 16x7 Boyd Coddington Destructors. They look unbelievably cool on the car. The only thing I don't like about them is that I had to grind down the wall of a socket in order to be able to tighten the lug nuts.. the lug nuts are recessed into the wheel and there's hardly any room to get a socket in there to tighten them.

-Vince

Posted by: Dominique ()
Date: March 04, 2005 02:23PM

Vince, I also have been consdidering a set of Boyd Wheels. Qestion for you. Are you putting these on a EM or LM Vair and what kind of back spacing did you wind up with? Did you considered the 16 x 8 wheels as well? I am curiours what tires you are going to use and how they match up with the fender wells. Do they stick out or are they flush with the outside fender well?

Thanks for you help.

Dominique

Date: March 04, 2005 04:46PM

Dominique:

I did consider 16x8 for the back, but decided against it. The maximum backspacing they will do on a 7" wheel is 4 5/8" - Because of that, I actually went with a 15x7 for the front (car is pretty low, i didn't want interference with the fender lip.) However, now that I have them on the car, I think I should have went with the 16x7 on the front.. I have plenty of clearance with a 205/50 tire up front. In back I am running a 225/50 tire. I have absolutely no rubbing front or rear, (I did with the old wheels, at full lock going into a driveway i would rub the fender lip).

The wheels are on a late model. As soon as I get my film developed I'll post a picture. (still a member of the stone age, no digital camera). If you decide on the Boyd wheels, I suggest ordering them from newstalgiawheel.com - they're cheaper than ordering straight from Boyd's, and if you do a tire/wheel package, and order online, shipping is free. Also, don't expect to get the wheels in a hurry - each wheel is made to order, meaning they don't have them sitting around the warehouse, so it takes awhile for them to arrive (mine took a little over a month.) Hope I've been a little helpful.

-Vince

Posted by: Rick Loving ()
Date: March 04, 2005 05:04PM

Vince, could you email me a picture of your car with the wheels on it...

Rick Loving

Posted by: Dominique ()
Date: March 04, 2005 06:18PM

Vince, I appreciate your help. That gives me some food for thought. I have a few months before I will need wheels. I was told today that I will be getting my car back on Monday. Pictures are from today. I have been wanting wheels that are more stylish. I have been considering Boyd's and Billet Specialties. I think I will be going with the 16 x 7 all the way around with 45 or 50 series tires. I have 15 x 7 on my other convertible and have never liked them. Besides its a different car and it deserves a different look. Ha, ha.

Dominique

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.