Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Steering wheel
Posted by: Don Manen ()
Date: March 02, 2005 12:12PM

I have decided to do the interior of my Lakewood in RED---Clark's people worked with me for over a week to get the right combination of '63 bucket seat covers, '63 door panels, '61 rear fold down seat- carpet colors, vinyl on cardboard, etc, and make it all work in a '61 Lakewood----

Anyone have a '63/'64 red steering wheel for sale????

DM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Steering wheel
Posted by: PHIL VANDEROEF ()
Date: March 02, 2005 12:24PM

Don: The '64 wheel is different from a '63 - different diameter splines. I have a mint '64 steering wheel, for sale, in black. No cracks or splits - however, it will not fit '60 - '63. Phil

Posted by: Tom C ()
Date: March 02, 2005 12:43PM

This is what I did when I restored the steering wheel of my '68 VW Beetle.

Bought some JB Weld from an autoparts store. This stuff will stick to anything and everything and never come out.

After removing the wheel from the car, I lightly sanded the steering wheel. Wherever there was a crack or chip, I filled it with the JB Weld.

After sanding it all down where the cracks didn't show, I purchased from an auto paint store some plastic primer. It comes in aresol cans. I sprayed the wheel with a couple of coats and wet sanded it smooth.

When at the autoparts store, bring a sample of your red interior. They can color match it and mix you up a quart of paint.

Spray several coats of paint and let dry completely. Wet sand then buff/polish it out.

I know my suggestion is a little more work, but you'll really like the results.

Posted by: Tom C ()
Date: March 02, 2005 02:15PM

What I meant to say was auto paint store to get a color match, not auto parts store.

Posted by: Chet Reed ()
Date: March 03, 2005 11:35AM

Eastwood has a inexpensive kit and special paints that restores steering wheels. Go to: [www.eastwood.com] Use their search engine to type in the words: steering wheel

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.