Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: LM seat swap and interior update project thread
Posted by: 406Vair ()
Date: January 09, 2017 08:02PM

65180 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great choice on the seats. I put a set in my L/M
> and love them. My car is stiffly sprung with
> nylon/ploy bushings and these seats took the
> harshness out.

I'm curious how you mounted the seats to the floor. I just got a set of Wedge seats brackets in the mail that are supposed to corvair specific, but they definitely don't line up with my factory mounting points...which was the point of buying them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: January 29, 2017 04:56PM

Updating my progress over the past few weeks. I was able to get the floor of the Corvair cleaned up and painted. I used Rust Bullet surface prep and paint. Application with a paint brush was easy. I did two coats for good coverage.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 29, 2017 05:09PM

Shame to cover it!@!!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: January 29, 2017 05:16PM

Vairy nice! thumbs up

Ditto for details on how you plan to mount the front seats.

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia

1963 Rampside w/305 V8 - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998

Date: January 29, 2017 06:26PM

After I painting, I put sound deadener on the firewall, floor and doors. I ended up going with a company called Second Skin. The first layers is their Damplifier product, which is a resonance barrier to prevent that drumming sound of a hollow door.

The next layer is a product called Luxury Liner Pro, which is a combination of closed cell foam and a mass loaded vinyl that acts as sound and heat insulation. I'm hoping the combo will quite the cabin a little bit and give the car a nice solid feel.

Pictures below are of the first layer of Damplifier going down.

Date: January 29, 2017 06:31PM

I've got some seat brackets coming from Wedge industries. The first pair they send me were for an early, so they are sending a new set. The bracket fits the original mounting points on the Corvair floor, but provides a generic flat mounting surface to attach the seats.

It will require just a little additional fab work, but I'm that will work. Once the floor and carpet are laid, I'll provide some in-depth pictures and info on the seat installation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2017 06:39PM by 406Vair.

Posted by: County98 ()
Date: January 29, 2017 08:02PM

Looks awesome! Your rustbullet is much prettier than mine was, lol. I like the pics of the soundproofing, so please keep them coming. I'm fixing to do this very soon myself, and am interested in how you do yours. Good job!

Date: March 01, 2017 08:56PM

Progressing on my interior project, I'm working on getting my seats installed. I had ordered some generic seat brackets that fit the floor board, but when I got them and mocked them up, they weren't going to play well with my seats.

My solution to that is that I'll have some seat brackets custom fabricated. They should be pretty simple. In order to accommodate the brackets, I had to make some adjustments.

For people asking, here are the seat mounting point measurements.

17" side to side and 15.50' front to back. As you can see in the pictures, the seat mounting points are not flat, they are angled which is what is causing the need for custom brackets.

Prior to modifications. You can see that three of the four mounting points are the same. The inboard rear bracket is different and needs some modification to play nice with the rest of the mounting points and the Corvair floor board.

After some mild mods to accommodate the brackets I'll have fabbed up.

Here I have cut down the inboard rear mounting point to open up a space for the bracket to mount up to the seat

Here I have cut down the remaining three mounting points to bring the seat height down a bit and make for a flat foot for the upcoming bracket.

I've got bracket templates created and will have them built by a local shop in town.

More to come

Posted by: j3m ()
Date: March 02, 2017 07:16AM

406vair: The seats look GREAT and the blue is nice!

If you're interested in an alternative to the stock CHEVY CORVAIR Armrests on your Doorpanels, you might want to consider these ('67 Mustang one piece molded over metalinternal frame, they have a very nice look to them with the "stitching". They are very easily adapted and in my opinion they look better than on the Corvair door panels than the Corvair armrest.

[www.mustangsunlimited.com]

Posted by: j3m ()
Date: March 02, 2017 08:40AM

These are simply suggestions that could be applicable to your interior upgrade as well as other corvair folks watching your build.

GOOGLE: 1991 Ford Crown Victoria LX DOME LIGHT

The 1982 thru 1991 Ford Crown Victoria and its sister the Mercury Grand Marquis
did have a very nice overhead interior DOME LIGHT with chrome housing and map lights for both the driver and passenger.
In case you all are wondering, year model 1991 was the last of the rectangular Crown Vics that looked like a Ford version of the 1966 Chevy Caprice/Impala body.

You probably have DOME lights that look nearly the same in very old Cadillacs and Oldsmobiles and possibly Buick Rivieras from long ago.

The Courtesy lights in the door panels on some of those old Caddy's OLds, Rivieras, etc would look good. The Pony interior '65-'66 Stang courtesy lights look like Ford copied an earlier Cadillac or Buick 225 light arrangement.

Anyway, just suggestions, as still at this point you can consider incorporating stuff as the interior has yet been finished.
Perhaps you may want to consider the sunvisors from some vehicle from the eighties or newer with lighted vanity mirrors.

If you go with a GRANT/MOMO/NARDI or some other wood steering wheel, it shouldn't be difficult to make or acquire a matching wood shift knob.
A shift knob can be made by just sinking an ordinaryHOME DEPOT/LOWES T nut of the 5/16 thread needed into the bottom of some large chunk of wood with interesting grain, persimmon, mahogany, maple, oak, hickory,cherry, anything even something taken from your fireplace firewood stack.
Just cut it down and shape it into gear knob, fine sand it, stain it and then maybe dip it like they did when golf club woods were re-done and "Dipped" back when persimmon and laminate wood clubs were the norm before 1988. The way they re-did the wood finish on golf clubs was for the last clear-amber polyurethane involved dunking the wood head quickly and shaking off the thin runoff so it would yield a perfect glossy polurethane final coat.

Another thing you may want to consider is what shift boot that you might want to incorporate if you wish to cover up the stock one or whatever. Now is the time to think and decide about all those little things while you still have that option because it makes zero sense to do it perfect stock and then tear out something you already spent money on.

Your choice of seat belts could possibly match depending on if you can find new seat belts in that blue color. You should also pay attention to which black seat belts look nicer and "richer" if there is a significant difference in appearance among your potential choices for seat belts.
Again, it is just a friendly suggestion, that you figure that out ahead of time......because there is no reason to spend twice, even if you have to spend more for brand/model XYZ seat belts over brand/model EFG seat belts..........all things considered equal in quality/structure/safety, Go With The Choice that BOTH LOOKS BETTER & FUNCTIONS THE BEST even if that means spending more money than just average looking generic ones.

As great as your SWAPPED LEATHER SEATS look, you want to try and keep everything else to at least that level of quality if you can.
You ain't gotta spend a ton, you just gotta be creative and smart while you still got everything apart in the interior.
Try to think like somebody at GM designing the next years model upgrades.
It looks great and you're a magician with the restoration and recoloring of those leather seats! That is a great leather color that probably is only seen on big Mercedes sedans and Bentley and Rolls-Royce today.

Date: April 02, 2017 01:02PM

The weather is finally looking spring-like here in Western Montana, so I have a new sense of motivation to get my project complete and get the car back on the road. I spent all of yesterday working on the car and made some good progress on my seat brackets.

First step was to mock up some brackets and have them bent up. I mocked up some brackets using foam board from the craft store.

Using some basic measuring tools, I was able to get all the dimensions I needed.

With my templates and dimensions, my local metal shop was able to bend me up brackets out of 1/8th inch metal plate. This was just a starting point. I needed to make some further modifications to the brackets and drill mounting holes, but working with the metal shop allowed me to get the angles I needed.

Date: April 02, 2017 01:15PM

The brackets were each 18.5 inches. I was hoping to be able to mount the brackets lengthwise across the front and back of the seat mounting points to make a rigid mounting point. The ridges in the bottom of the floor interfered with the front bracket, so I had to cut down the front brackets to make individual 4 inch brackets for the left and right hand sides of each seat.

Here are front brackets cut down and mocked up on the front of the seat. Other than cutting them down, the front brackets only required drilling the mounting holes, so pretty simple.

The rear brackets allowed my mount lengthwise across the length of the seat, but they did require a little more modification mount up to both the floor and the seat. Here are pictures of the rear bracket mocked up to the rear seat mounts.

Date: April 02, 2017 01:20PM

Great progress!! Almost there!

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: April 02, 2017 01:21PM

Here is a picture of the completed brackets with all holes drilled and necessary notches cut and the rough edges ground down.

Here is a picture after some self etching primer and a few coats of VHT ceramic engine paint. I'm sure the engine paint is over kill, but the color is right and best of all, I had two cans laying around the garage.

More to come soon! Next projects are getting the new carpet cut, getting brackets fabbed up for the rear seat install and to actually get the seats in the car. Its coming along and looking forward to my first spring drive!

Date: May 13, 2017 10:12PM

More updates on the interior project. I'm a little behind on uploading pictures, but the interior is installed and the car is on the road.

Here are pictures of the Second Skin damplifier. This goes over the anti resonant layer.

Date: May 13, 2017 10:29PM

After the carpet was laid down, the next step was to install the rear seat. The back of the seat was in three pieces, the center and the two bolsters. I wanted to install the seat back as one piece, so I had to create some brackets to attach the bolsters to the center. Its may be a little crude, but it works!

Here is the seat back in pieces.

Here are the brackets. The L brackets go on the back of the seat as a way to attach the future parcel shelf.

I got some anti-squeak gasket material and glued it where the pieces of the seat meet.

A picture of the lower brackets bolted to the seat.

A picture of the lower brackets attaching the bolsters to the seat.

I didn't get a picture of the upper brackets, but they are bolted to the seat back with bolts and rivet nuts. The bolsters are bolted similar to the lower brackets.

Date: May 13, 2017 10:51PM

Nothing crude about that!

Date: May 14, 2017 06:13AM

To install the rear seat back, I left the cross bar in place and drilled three holes in it to bolt through. I installed three rivet nuts in the back of the seat back. The bolts are threaded from the back of the cross bar into the rivet nuts in the back of the seat.

I also installed two rivet nuts in the floor. The lower seat back brackets bolt into those rivets in the floor.

In total I've got five bolts holding the seat back in. Three attached to the crossbar and two into the floor.

Here is a picture of one of the rivet nuts.

Here is a picture of the cross bar with the holes drilled. The black strips are anti-squeak gasket from Second Skin Audio.

Here is a picture of one of the rivet nuts installed into the floor. The lower seat brackets bolt to these on both sides.

The seat bottom installed with very little modification. There are two mounting tabs on the front of the seat that just needed to be bent to fit the Corvair. Two rivet nuts were installed into the floor to bolt the seat bottom in. The back of the seat bottom is simply held in by being tightly wedged between the floor and the bottom of the seat back.

Here is a picture of the rivet nut in the floor for the seat bottom. Notice again that I have installed a gasket between the floor and the seat bottom mounting tab.

I'll get pictures of the seats mounted up on here soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2017 06:18AM by 406Vair.

Date: May 14, 2017 07:10AM

I got excited and got the seats installed the other day, but forgot to take pictures. I'll get some pictures up of the installed seats, but for now, I'm going to jump from seats to the steering wheel.

I got a new 15 inch wheel from Seth at Performance Corvair. Along with the wheel, I got a hub to install the wheel and a new horn button.

The horn button is different than stock, and really had me perplexed for a while. After spending some time on Youtube watching other people install GM horn buttons, and some experimentation with my own stuff, I got it figured out.

Here is the wheel and horn button.

Here is a picture of the back of the button with the wires that came with the horn button. This is where I got confused, the stock setup didn't have wires or any wiring connections in the column.

Here is the factory cancelling cam. The horn contact comes through the turn signal switch and makes constant contact with the metal on the back of the cam. The metal prong is what makes contact with the factory horn plate in the factory steering wheel. What I needed was a way to wire the new horn button to the factory hot lead. You can see in the picture the .33 cent connector I bought at Ace Hardware.

I was able open up the larger female end of the connector enough to fit around the metal prong on the canceling cam. I crimped the connector down tight onto the metal prong.

My connector crimped onto the horn button wire.

I put heat shrink over the connector and wire to avoid any electrical shorts.

Here is the canceling cam installed on the column.

Here is the hub installed over the cancelling cam with the horn wire coming through the hub.

Here is the horn button and grounding plate. The horn grounds to the steering wheel/steering column. The grounding plate connects the little metal bar on the side of the horn button to the steering wheel.

The hotwire connects to the middle contact on the back of the horn button.

Here is the wheel, hub and horn button installed and everything is functioning. I think it looks great. Thank you to Seth for answering questions and helping me get the right combination of parts to make everything work.

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: May 14, 2017 07:37AM

Heck of a job!!

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.