Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Clutch chatter in reverse only
Posted by: MEL ()
Date: February 26, 2005 05:30AM

I have a 1960 "500" coupe that has a problem with clutch chatter when reversing car. The flywheel is NOS , pressure plate and disc are rebuilt . All engine mounts have been replaced,all clutch linkage has been rebuilt and clutch adjustment is correct. Any ideas??? Thanks MEL

Options: ReplyQuote
Clutch chatter in reverse only
Posted by: Larry Forman ()
Date: February 26, 2005 09:40AM

Hi Mel,
I know you said all the engine mounts have been replaced. I assume you mean the rear engine mount and the front transmission mounts.

My thoughts are still that it has something to do with looser mounts than they should be. If that was true, then the power train could shift around under power relative to the body and cause the chatter you are seeing. Generally, the FCs have more of these issues than the cars for some reason. Also, the Devin Cs have that issue.

FYI, the cure for the Devin Cs is to convert to a hydraulically operated clutch and the problem goes away. This is a fairly simple conversion on the Devin by installing a hydraulic master cylinder up front and a pull type slave cylinder at the rear. Doing this rear part would be identical for any stick Corvair power train and is quite simple. It involves modifying and bending the clutch pull rod and connecting it to the pull slave cylinder, which mounts to the front transmission cross member. Installing a clutch master cylinder may be more difficult on the Corvair cars and FCs. I have looked and it appears that there is room for adding a heavy bracket under the floor of the FCs for the clutch master cylinder. I have not checked for how to install a clutch master on the cars.

The reason that this cures the clutch chatter, which is caused by power train movement, is that the pull rod is now connected directly to the power train and not isolated and connected to the body. If the power train shifts under clutch release relative to the body, then it changes the clutch pulling action.

Larry

Re: Clutch chatter in reverse only
Posted by: ccvair ()
Date: February 26, 2005 11:33AM

Hello I may be way out too lunch here but, isnt the tranny mounts for a 64 different from the rest of the earlies? If so could that be a issue here? figured id toss that out there.

Posted by: J.O. ()
Date: February 26, 2005 02:23PM

Had this happen on my 65, the cause was a stripped / rusting castle nut on the transmission mount, it slid down until it was stopped by the cotter pin.

Posted by: "UNSAFE" ()
Date: February 26, 2005 03:14PM

The engine torques in the opposite direction when in reverse.

Are you sure it's clutch chatter or could it just be a tailpipe, mount, linkage, etc rattling against the chassis when engaging the clutch in reverse?

"UNSAFE"

Posted by: steve goodman ()
Date: February 26, 2005 07:04PM

Hello Mel: Sometimes the problem gets 'masked' in reverse. The reason being that when you start backing up you tend to give less gas to get the car moving. When you start out forward you are harder on the throttle and kinda slips the clutch a bit. Try to give the same amount of rpm starting in first gear as you do in reverse. If you then get the chatter you know it isn't just backing up that has the issue.

Since you are positive the mounts are good, I would suggest (if you get the chatter after doing the above) that either the disc is warpped or the cover isn't releasing even.

Let me know about my test please.

Regards, Steve

Posted by: MEL ()
Date: February 27, 2005 05:18AM

Thanks for all the tips, will be checking everything out when spring finally arrives and 500 is out of storage. MEL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.