Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 9 of 27
Re: FC Fire Dept Truck Restoration
Date: September 27, 2016 08:10PM

That manual will be your best buddy in the months to come...

I guessing you'll be able to comb your hair in the reflection of the wheel-well paint when Steve is done! smileys with beer

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 28, 2016 05:07AM

Thanks for the follow-up on undercoating removal. You're doing a nice job, very inspiring to see the progress. After all that work, I would probably not use undercoating either.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: September 28, 2016 08:04AM

Fantastic work and especially the undercoating removal technique you shared.thumbs up Just love to see this kind of detail done. It's quite an adventure and project that will give lots of gratification.
I have never cleaned a FC wheel well down that far. Makes me wonder that numbers are on mine!

smileys with beer

Corventure Dave

Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: September 28, 2016 06:50PM

I purchased a Harbor Freight Needle scaler and tested it on the undercoating of the Firebrier.

Running on my 60 gal 90 PSI compressor, it very poorly removed the undercoating, and tended to stop vibrating when much pressure was applied. It also left a lot of undercoating behind. Granted, I bought the smaller HF scaler, but the power rating on the larger unit was not significantly greater (4600 vs 4000 bpm). So I don't believe the larger unit would have been that much more effective.

So, at least on the Firebrier and in my hands (literally), the multi-tool was far superior to the needle scaler.

Steve

Posted by: GWLee ()
Date: September 29, 2016 05:44AM

Steve, sorry it didn't work out. It did so well on mine, plus others here used one, which is why I bought it, myself. But the only difference is, I did get the bigger one. What I remember when using mine was that a lot of pressure wasn't needed. I let the scaler do the work.

Take it back, and get a refund. Sorry it didn't work out.

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
In the Beautiful state of
North/East KY!

Not the best pic, but the only I had from then, 1997!

2016!

Date: September 29, 2016 05:50AM

Lee,
No apologies needed. It's great that you shared your method, and if it worked on your car it should work for others as well. I wish it had worked on the Firebrier UC because a scaler would have been much better reaching into tight spaces.
Steve

Date: October 15, 2016 06:15PM

Well, undercoating continues to accumulate in a large garbage bag. I'm now accepting proposals on how many pounds will ultimately come off. But, if that was all I did, I would go nuts.

So other projects...

The suspension is almost ready for reassembly. Had a real bugger of a time pressing in the bushings on one of the front lower control arms; all the rest went in fine, but for whatever reason, the two sleeves were slightly out of alignment and the bushings would not go in. Ended up warping the sleeve rims beyond repair and gave up; got a replacement from the Corvair Ranch (bushing went right in).

Here's the front suspension (you can click on images for larger view)

And rear

Still deciding whether the springs will be black or metallic, but I think they'll be metallic with appropriate color stripes.

As you can see, brakes also have been rebuilt. Flanges and were blasted, primed, and painted. As previously mentioned I'm using Eastwood "Detail Gray" on the stamped steel parts (such as the flange) and "Spray Gray" on the cast parts (such as the steering knuckle control arms).

Complete rebuild of the brakes themselves; and new front wheel bearings. Found exact match for the cylinder to brake pad rods at the local NAPA (the car rods are different). The only parts reused were the emergency brake components and the automatic adjuster screws, two of these needed thorough derusting and cleaning.

Only lacking shock absorbers. I would like to install spiral ones. Any one know if these can still be obtained? I see one NOS listed on eBay, but it seems to have some serious rust, and also means finding 3 more.

Steve

Posted by: Pedigo ()
Date: October 15, 2016 06:35PM

I would eat off of those backing plates.
Unfortunately,spiral FC shocks are almost unubtatium since I've been looking.

Date: October 15, 2016 06:38PM

...hence the "customized" NOS Delco (non spiral) FC fitment shocks.

Attachments:
Date: October 15, 2016 06:42PM

Customized bottom brackets? Are these better than the Clarks "Red Riders"?
Steve

Date: October 15, 2016 06:45PM

Custom paint. Original bottom brackets for FC fitment. Next week I'll do a side-by-side photo shoot with the original spirals I'm taking off,and these.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2016 06:47PM by Pedigo.

Date: October 15, 2016 07:36PM

I've also been restoring the air heater assembly. I was inspired to do a complete disassembly and rebuild by a previous Corvair Forum thread. Here's before and after images.

The unit was in really rough shape. The large baffle would barely move.

The two halves of the heater were separated using a 5/16" spot-weld drill bit, cutting the weld on the top side of the assembly. Inside: no wonder the baffle wouldn't move.

Everything was derusted in my electrolytic deruster, power wire-brushed clean, and bead blasted where necessary. Fortunately, the rubber seals around the baffles were in excellent shape, and were carefully protected during cleaning.

The really tricky part of the deal is painting the inside. It wasn't originally as best I can tell, but parts flash rust here in the mid OH river valley within hours, so painting is a must. Painting the inside after reassembly is not possible because of the baffles, but if painted beforehand, most paints will bubble and peal when the unit is welded back together (heat transfers very quickly through thin gauge steel). My solution was to paint the inside beforehand with Krylon Hi-Temp paint, which I had previously found withstands moderate welding temperatures. Here is the unit ready to be reassembled, Krylon-ed inside (and oven cured at 300oF for 3 hours) except for the edge flanges which were coated with SEM weld-through primer.

As in the original, the small baffle is painted black. The large baffle was also originally unpainted, but because of concern for the rubber seal, oven curing the Krylon wasn't an option, but also not necessary, so I painted it with "stainless steel" enamel.

Everything was clamped and original spot welds were carefully rewelded and ground smooth. I rewelded moving to different locations to avoid heating any area too much. I saw no damage to the Krylon afterwards.

After smoothing the welds and final cleanup, the box was primed with SEM self-etching primer and then painted with a satin black enamel to match the original. Although not shown above, the paint on top of the unit was in excellent condition, so I had it matched at the local paint shop.

The rubber air intake boot was still pliable but had become fragile, and as I removed it a small tear formed. Since Clarks only offers a passable repro, I wanted to preserve the original. To do this, the inside (and both sides of the stapled part) were coated with rubber. After some testing, I decided to use Smooth-On PMC-70, a two-part urethane. The tear was also reattached with rubber in and on both side. To assure adhesion, the boot has to be really well cleaned, maybe even mild sanding might help if possible. After thorough degreasing, I cleaned mine with acetone, and the rubber has adhered well.

Reattaching the boot will not be easy, but I'd like to thank Nick Shumaker for providing a generous length of original strapping. The staples will need to be remade and fitted back though the strapping and the original holes, something I will do inside on a cold winter day.

Steve

Date: October 15, 2016 07:41PM

WOW! eye popping smiley

Date: October 15, 2016 07:44PM

I'll be serving sushi on it.
Steve

Posted by: coleslaw31 ()
Date: October 15, 2016 08:33PM

Yeah that's a amazing level of detail.

South Carolina Upstate

68 Monza convertible 140 4spd A/C (coming soon)
66 Corsa coupe 140 4spd

Posted by: cad-kid ()
Date: October 21, 2016 02:55PM

Nice update thumbs up

Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
CORSA Member#031129
SOLD-9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
My YouTube page yawning smiley

Posted by: Am-Iron ()
Date: October 21, 2016 03:23PM

That is some awesome work Steve!

Date: October 21, 2016 03:27PM

Thanks,
Jeremy, Allen and others.

btw: I'm not sure why I identified the Hi-Temp paint as Krylon; as the picture shows, it's PlastiKote. Too may fumes?
Steve

Posted by: antkoto ()
Date: October 21, 2016 05:34PM

Steve,

I think I have several spiral shocks. Most are NOS some are used. I also have NOS FC pleasurizer shocks for the front. Do you still need shocks?

Duane Wentlandt

Date: October 21, 2016 05:40PM

PM sent.
Steve

Current Page: 9 of 27

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.