Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 8 of 27
Re: FC Fire Dept Truck Restoration
Posted by: matchlessmo ()
Date: September 08, 2016 06:20PM

Craig, let see some pictures of your Rampside that needs restored ...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kenzen ()
Date: September 16, 2016 06:07PM

Looks great! This will be one of the unique restorations we'll track for years after completion.

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2016 06:08PM by kenzen.

Posted by: coleslaw31 ()
Date: September 17, 2016 06:45AM

Awesome work love these kind of threads. Gives me inspiration to finish my convertible.

South Carolina Upstate

68 Monza convertible 140 4spd A/C (coming soon)
66 Corsa coupe 140 4spd

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 17, 2016 07:51AM

You spoke of a system for removing undercoating coming soon?
I've heated it with a propane torch while scraping it off with a putty knife and removing the lefotovers with solvent. Pretty toxic smoke I imagine.
Would like to hear of a better way.
Nice work you're doing.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: September 17, 2016 12:07PM

Today started to put finish coat on the suspension. Space is tight in my garage, so the plastic walls of the "paint shop" need to rolled down and a fan placed in the window. Here's the rear crossmember painted.

Yes, there are wires holding up the crossmember (There is gravity in OH too). I have a mount on the ceiling that I can rotate as needed.
I'm painting with John Deere Blitz Black

Per general recommendation, it's mixed 8 (paint):1(thinner):1(hardener). Finish is an almost flat satin.

Sorry about the delay in posting about removing undercoating. Been distracted with other tasks.
Steve

Posted by: kenzen ()
Date: September 17, 2016 12:37PM

I painted electric guitars in a spray booth like that... drinking smiley

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Date: September 26, 2016 06:33PM

Undercoating is coming off the Firebrier There's no simple one step way to make it disappear, and the Firebrier is good test for different ways to do it. Almost all of the undercarriage and most everything connected to it are pretty well covered. And the undercoating is still well attached!!

For example, here's looking up at the bottom of the cowl, which is very well protected by undercoating ...

And here's a composite image looking into the left rear wheel well (The compositing did some weird things to the background)

This FC is so well undercoated, even the compartments behind the wheel wells (eg., the battery compartment) are coated.

I tried all sorts of ways to get it off, including just torching it and scraping off, but that was an arm killer, from exertion and occasional assault by molten tar. I read online somewhere about using a vibratory (multi-) tool

and found it made quick work of removing the bulk of the undercoating, particularly if first briefly heated with the torch. The angle at which you hold the tool is important, but because little or no heating is necessary, the undercoating comes off cleanly and not as a hot gooey mass. And it doesn't matter how thick the undercoating is, the blade will slice under it all.

It's important to use unserrated blades with the tool to avoid damaging the metal. Since I liked the size of some of the serrated blades, I simply ground off the teeth. Here the same area after being multitooled:

The multitool does not remove all the undercoating, but certainly the bulk of it. And there are areas that cannot be reached with the tool, and these required brute force heating and scrapping with a stiff putty knife.

Any remaining undercoating needs to be removed with stripper and solvent. I start with aircraft stripper - wear a respirator and arm-length rubber gloves (available at HF) when using this stuff. I found the "odor-free" type actually worked better than the regular formula.

Some essential tools are scrappers, and lots of little wire brushes and rags. Don't rely upon those inexpensive Harbor Freight wire brushes; they just do not hold up. I buy wire brushes in bulk from Solo Horton Brushes (item # 713S, case of 48). You may need them all. After applying the stripper, the little brushes are used to remove remnants of undercoating from corners, seams, tight places, around numerous little things welded onto the undercarriage, and just to remove tenacious goo and paint. Look for an auto parts store that sells good quality bulk scrap rags. I get mine in a 20 lb bail. Plan to use them once and discard. Those bundles of red towels commonly sold in auto parts stores are way too expensive for this job. A rag soaked in diesel fuel works really well to remove the stripper, as well as any remnants of the undercoating. I found some areas required several rounds of stripper, brushing and diesel to strip to bare metal.

Aircraft stripper works slower on undercarriage paint. The paint softens and dissolves, but does not bubble up. Give it 5 -10 minutes to work. If you're going to do this right, going to bare metal in most areas is important to assess where and how much rust is present, and dealing with it before repainting.

Which is a topic I'll report on later.

Steve

Posted by: GWLee ()
Date: September 27, 2016 05:45AM

[www.harborfreight.com]

I bought one of these. Someone recommended it on the forum, some time back. It took off the undercoating without much effort at all. And it can clean the undercoating off in places that are hard to clean. I've always used hot air and a putty knife before this, but this was much easier, on mine.
YMMV

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
In the Beautiful state of
North/East KY!

Not the best pic, but the only I had from then, 1997!

2016!

Posted by: FLAVert ()
Date: September 27, 2016 01:33PM

Wondering if you are planning to re-undercoat or just leave it painted?

Thanks,
Rick L.

Date: September 27, 2016 02:05PM

Lee, How well does the HF Air Needle Scaler work on undercoating that is still tightly adhering; much of my UC seems to be like new. I could see that tool being very useful in some tight areas. Do the needles ever get gummed up; do they need periodic replacement?

My plan is to paint but not re-undercoat.

Steve

Posted by: cad-kid ()
Date: September 27, 2016 03:03PM

Great update!

Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
CORSA Member#031129
SOLD-9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
My YouTube page yawning smiley

Posted by: GWLee ()
Date: September 27, 2016 04:15PM

Well Steve for me on my 60, some of the uc was like you said, like new. The scaler chiseled thru it. It was faster with the uc that was dried and crispy but it took it off in places I was having trouble scraping off. As for the thing gumming up, I had no issues with that at all. Now if you heat the uc up some and hit it with the scaler, it probably would. But once I started using the scaler I didn't bother with heating it up anymore.
I did my car pretty quick with it, compared to heating and scraping. Plus you can get in places with the needles you can't reach with a scraper.
The needles never wore out on mine but I did get a spare set just in case they did. But if they get flattened on the end, just put the end in the grinder and square it off again, or remove and turn them to the other end.
But I thought it did a good job and I didn't have hot uc hitting my arms or face. But there will be dust.
Now on my 60 I only had to deal with the wheel wells, but I wish I had that on other cars I did. But I didn't paint mine I undercoated after removing the old.

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
In the Beautiful state of
North/East KY!

Not the best pic, but the only I had from then, 1997!

2016!

Date: September 27, 2016 06:28PM

It sounds like the air needle scaler could be a big help in tight spaces, and might be better overall. What's another $54 (less 20% : )? I'll try it and report back on how it's performance compares to the multi-tool.

Here's a suggestion about removing fuel and brake line clips. These single or double-sided clips (originally green) are found along the undercarriage. Exact replicas are not available, as far as I know. The ones sold by Clarks attach to the undercarriage differently than the original, so it's nice to retain and restore the originals if possible. Unfortunately, the clips often break when trying to remove them.

After several attempts, I came up with a tool that removes the clips intact. The tool is made from HF needle nose vice grips to which a washer was welded. The washer was then cut in half and ground to reduce the diameter of the center hole. This hole should have a diameter slightly less then the clip retainer. The tool slips behind the clip, compresses the retainer so that the clip can then be pulled off intact.

Steve

Posted by: Pedigo ()
Date: September 27, 2016 06:39PM

As "purist" as I know you are,Steve. It surprises me that you wouldn't undercoat outside of the frame rails. Either way...it will look amazing when you're done.

Date: September 27, 2016 06:48PM

But would that have been undercoated from the factory?
Steve

Date: September 27, 2016 07:08PM

btw: Does anyone know why the number "24" would be printed on the inside of the left rear quarter panel, inside the wheel well?

This was found beneath the undercoating. It is painted quite resiliently.

"24" what?

Steve

Date: September 27, 2016 07:26PM

SteveInMarietta Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But would that have been undercoated from the
> factory?
> Steve

Dunno. Mine was. Yours was. I'm sure others were. I guess I just assumed they all were.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2016 07:30PM by Pedigo.

Date: September 27, 2016 07:26PM

Looks to be a stamp, eh?

Perhaps 24 gallons of Undercoating!! grinning smiley

Love that tool you invented! I'll have to make one.

Undercoating was part of the factory build, this one might have been a bit more zealous that most...

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: September 27, 2016 07:29PM

Now that Dan mentions this,i do recall undercoating being in the FC assembly manual.

Date: September 27, 2016 07:55PM

Hopefully Matt can remove the spam.

Good call by Pedigo; 1963 assembly manual:

I wonder if additional UC was added by the dealer?

But I still am unlikely to reapply undercoating; it can be perceived to cover damage. When I get done with the undercarriage, UC won't be necessary. My restoration "purity" does have limits.
Steve

Current Page: 8 of 27

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.