Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 6 of 28
Re: FC Fire Dept Truck Restoration
Date: August 15, 2016 08:06AM

They were unpainted. Mine was being attacked by rust with just the ambient moisture in a closed garage.

I spent hours cleaning all the rust from it, then painted mine a dull silver to look like the unpainted metal, but believe me, I never even considered just leaving it bare metal again!

The valve covers and the oil pan are tern coated - and they have held up fine against the elements - no rust.

Even the oil filler pipe had very little rust.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: August 20, 2016 07:41PM

<p style = "font-size: 16pt; font-family:timesnew roman;">
Progress has been made. The front and rear suspensions have been removed,<br> disassembled, and sent off to be blasted and epoxy primed. I couldn't have done<br> this without help from my brother John, visiting from NJ, and providing <br>free labor. We find two brains help to avoid making dumb mistakes. Thanks again Judge!

Rear suspension ready for removal. Brake flanges and axle yokes came off <br>without too much trouble, as did the bolts holding the rear crossmember to <br>the undercarriage.

Front suspension under way. Like everything else, covered with undercoating <br>and caked with a rock-hard mud; literally had to chisel some off.

Spring extraction went well; had to cut off shocks at bottom.

Front crossmember removed. The bolts holding it to the undercarriage were <br>extremely difficult to remove, but they succumbed without incident. 

I rented a control-arm bushing removal press from the local parts store, which <br>was helpful, but lacked the appropriate sized tools. John and I figured <br>out the best way to remove the bushings as we went along, and I fabricated <br>the needed tools. As shown below, we found the easiest method was to  <br>first remove the inner part of the bushing. We put the control arm in a <br>vice (1), cut off the exposed rubber bushing (2), then torched the <br>bushings (3) until the rubber melted and it could be pulled out with <br>vice-grips on the center sheath (4 & 5). The control arm shaft could usually then be <br>removed, leaving only the bushing casings to pressed out.

We made a tool to press out the bushing casings by bolting together 13/16" <br>and 15/16" sockets. The larger socket pushes against the bushing casing <br>and the smaller socket acts as an inner guide to keep it aligned.

This tool was used with a custom made receiver (cupped shaded tool) into <br>which the bushing casing was pressed. The receiver was made from steel <br>pipe expanded to a diameter just larger than the bushing casing flange, <br>onto which 1/4" steel was welded. Support spacers were used to prevent <br>crushing of the control arms around the bushing. Between the initial <br>torching of the bushing, and some generous use of penetrating oil, the <br>sheaths were easily pressed out.

The ball joint rivets were drilled out - a slow process when making sure to <br>keep the hole centered.

After 2.5 days, everything was disassembled and ready to go. Everything was <br>sent to be blasted except the control arm shafts, which I'll prep myself.

Question: What's the best way to prep the ends of the control arm shafts, <br>which have some mild rust (but not enough to cause pitting)?

Steve
</p>

Posted by: cad-kid ()
Date: August 21, 2016 03:20PM

Wow! Nice work removing the suspension.

Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD-9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
<a href=http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,570615>My 65 Monza thread</a>
<a href=https://www.youtube.com/user/cad0kid>My YouTube page</a> yawning smiley

Date: August 21, 2016 05:12PM

With the suspension removed I've looked more closely at an unusual feature of the rear undercarriage. What I thought was jacking damage seems to be something more insidious.

I had noticed earlier this bend to the rear cross support near the right side jacking position, viewed here from the rear:

and here from the front:

With the under coating removed, I can see there is some significant distortion of the undercarriage:

There is something similar on left size, though without as significant change to the surrounding undercarriage.

How bad of a problem is this? Can it be fixed? Does it need to be fixed?

Steve

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: August 21, 2016 05:20PM

One thing is for sure...that is a cool old Stanley square!!

Paso Robles CA-Sidewinders (SCTA Charter Member 1934)-CORSA Member-Central Coast Corsa-Ventura County Corvair-Corvanatics-California Angels Fan Since 1978...World Series Champions 2002 & 9 AL West Division Titles-So Cal Gas Since 1974 (Now Retired Again) Rehired as Contractor Seasonally-RACECAR 148.253 MPH Unsafe at Any Landspeed F/BGALT Late Model Coupe-ZONKER 1965 Monza Weber Turbo 95/PG Coupe-GEM 1966 500 140/PG Sport Sedan Factory A/C 36K Original Miles-SANDRAIL B&M Blown Methanol 3.1L Mid Engine Funco-DUCK 1965 110/PG Monza Coupe Parts Car-CRUSTY 1966 110/PG Factory A/C Coupe Parts Car-2013 Ford F250 Super Duty XLT Four Door Crew Cab Short Bed 6.7 Powerstroke-Grand Design Momuntum 350M Luxury Toy Hauler-When I Grow Up I'm Selling Everything and Buying a Vintage Triple Weber 911S Because I'll Never be Able to Afford the Miura!!!

Date: August 21, 2016 07:22PM

Here's three more images.

I'm trying top envision how/if this would impact wheel alignment? I'm not seeing that there is a significant change to the positioning of the rear crossmember and the transmission mounts, and any minor change should be corrected with alignment shims, no?

Steve

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 21, 2016 07:27PM

All you can do is measure for squareness..

I'd think a Porta-Power would push that back into position.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: August 21, 2016 07:41PM

That might do it. Maybe backing into a Porta-John did the damage?
Steve

Posted by: EM-racer ()
Date: August 22, 2016 06:30AM

My corvan originally came from the north east U.S. It has plates welded in the underbody and still has rusted areas but not in support areas and it drives and handles fine. Looks good going down the road just don't look underneath it.
Gene Barr
Eustis, Fl.

Posted by: 2manyvairs2fix ()
Date: August 22, 2016 03:58PM

Steve, I see nothing in the pictures that makes me think collision damage. All the undercoating and welds appear to be factory. The location of the damage looks to be the result of a careless wrecker driver using those spots to tie down the van. After you remove the undercoating, hear that spot up red and hammer and dolly it back to flat.

Rod Kennen- In Newton, NC
42 years in collision and restoration.
Corvair fixation since 1977
Member of CORSA and NC Mountain Corvairs
1966 Corsa A/C coupe- Mechanically repaired driver
1966 Corsa "140" conv. former Crown project
1969 Monza "110/4" conv. 4280 original miles.

Date: August 22, 2016 06:58PM

Thanks Rod for the experienced advice on dealing with the undercarriage damage.

A lot of work on the undercarriage is needed - removing all the electrical and mechanical cables, gas tank, etc; stripping the undercoating and fixing a few rusted areas. Lacking the luxury of a rotisserie, and with limited vertical garage space, I want to have the van raised as high as possible. Maybe it's unwarranted, but jack stands make me nervous when working for long period of time under a vehicle. When I do use them, I always place stacks of wood blocks as a fail-safe.

So I've decided to rest the van on supports made from 4 x 6 wood blocks, 16" X 16" on the base, tiers interlocked with 3/4" plywood side panels, and ~20 tall. (additional side pieces were added after these pictures were taken)

Posted by: Pedigo ()
Date: August 22, 2016 07:32PM

Steve.

If by some chance the rooftop mounted spotlight doesn't work for the resto,id like to offer a NOS Unity one of the period. I understand if you decide to restore the (original?) one.

As much as you have done for all of us in the FC world,it would be my pleasure.thumbs up

Attachments:

Date: August 22, 2016 07:55PM

Thomas,
What a generous offer of such a rare item!

I've only "played around" with the spotlight on the van, which seems to be in reasonably good shape, only the rooftop escutcheon has significant corrosion. From the inside the light rotates, but I can't figure out how to make the bulb rotate to face forward (it's facing downward). So either I don't know how to do it or something may be seized.

I'll PM you.

Thanks,
Steve

Date: August 22, 2016 07:58PM

The "up-down" is push/pull.

Date: August 22, 2016 08:00PM

...hence the head-knocker plunger knob.

Date: August 22, 2016 08:16PM

Just realised. Yours is an earlier model. I think you twist the knob. (Just like a door mounted safety light) the axis is 90° out from each other and I'm just kinda guessing,here.

Date: August 22, 2016 08:27PM

Just got back from the garage. With a little penetrating lube it now pushes up & down fine. And yes, twisting the handle rotates the light. I have no idea if the bulb works yet, but if not, hopefully it can be replaced.

Dealing with the spotlight restoration is a fair ways down the road, but I think there's a good chance this one can be fully restored. So, I won't take you up on your kind offer (but 18 months from now I may come crawling back smiling smiley )
Thanks again,
Steve

Date: August 22, 2016 08:48PM

Open-ended offer until it ends up on my PG '62 8-door. You probably have 5 years to decide.

Date: August 25, 2016 08:33PM

Well, this is what can be salvaged from the powertrain (click on image for larger view):

Add the distributor and valve covers (forgot to include them), delete the oil pan (has stripped plug hole). Both the crankshaft and camshaft had enough damage to warrant replacement. Actually, the jury is still out on the generator - I'm expecting a rebuild will be necessary.

I suspect many people are thinking, just scrap the whole D**n thing and get an entire new rebuilt engine - and that would probably be cheaper. However, it is my intention to restore this Greenbrier to it's original condition. Fortunately, the critical coded/dated parts - heads, crankcase, transmission and differential -- all seem to be in good condition.

I'm up at the DACC Homecoming and the coded/dated parts are going to Ken Hand, who will be reassembling the short block, rebuilding the heads, and cleaning and checking out the front end of the powertrain.

I'm also shopping around for other stuff - and selling DragFree cross shafts (hopefully).

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2016 09:22PM by MattNall.

Posted by: cad-kid ()
Date: August 26, 2016 07:21AM

Neat photothumbs up

Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD-9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
<a href=http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,570615>My 65 Monza thread</a>
<a href=https://www.youtube.com/user/cad0kid>My YouTube page</a> yawning smiley

Current Page: 6 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.