Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 27 of 27
Re: FC Fire Dept Truck Restoration Purchase thru Completion
Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: June 11, 2018 06:53PM

3 thumbs up!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: June 15, 2018 10:00AM

Mind blowing! This is cool on so many levels! A real fire truck toy - every boy's dream. thumbs upsmileys with beer

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: June 15, 2018 10:50AM

Wow beautiful job Steve amazing work! Congrats on completion!

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Other fun car: Porsche 911 GT3
Boring daily drivers
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: bbakerga ()
Date: June 15, 2018 11:01AM

Steve, I think this is the most thorough, detailed, meticulous, faithful, top-notch restoration I have ever seen. And it's almost equally as stunning how FAST you got it done.

Unbelievable.

Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: June 15, 2018 12:18PM

OMG! I fear you may have just described OCD smiling smiley
Steve

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: June 15, 2018 12:39PM

bbakerga Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Steve, I think this is the most thorough,
> detailed, meticulous, faithful, top-notch
> restoration I have ever seen. And it's almost
> equally as stunning how FAST you got it done.
>
> Unbelievable.

I agree that the process was relatively quick given what was done and that the results appear to be top notch. I think the standard has been set.

This folks is a very good example of just what can be accomplished when someone sets their goal, formulates a plan, then simply goes for it......that and not being afraid of spending what is necessary to cross the finish line.

There are way to many Corvair owners that could never ever accomplish a restoration (or almost any other task for that matter) like this simply because they are to stinking cheap and won't spend a dime for a dollar's worth of parts.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 15, 2018 12:52PM

'holic, don't forget some of us are just Mechanics/ Technicians.... not Craftsmen!

Here's a "showpiece" I bought years ago... engine /trans gutted... but I liked the Twin Amals and the scooter..

Next is what I built from the last pic...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2018 12:54PM by MattNall.

Attachments:

Date: June 15, 2018 01:17PM

Matt,
I understand that completely but it seems very often that many Corvair owners are simply to cheap for their own good. It has been that way for decades and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I am frugal to a fault but in many circumstances, I am willing to spend what it takes to do something correctly, especially when safety is concerned.

To date, I have never purchased a new vehicle simply because I couldn't afford to as well as I just can't see taking the hit regarding the immediate depreciation.

I do applaud those who have the desire and ability to repair and recycle rather than replace.

P.S.
Back when Corvair's were still often used as daily drivers, I worked in a shop that specialized in them. Even back then, the "Cheap" mind set was firmly in place. JMO

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2018 01:20PM by Caraholic4life.

Posted by: Monza109 ()
Date: June 15, 2018 02:16PM

Beautiful job! Not to be critical but why did you not paint the wheels red like original?

Date: June 15, 2018 02:34PM

Fist of all, I want to thank everyone for their kind and generous words throughout this project; I'm really just a guy who is afraid of someone in the future looking at my work and thinking it was half-ass.

Craftsman? I dunno... but I'll certainly beat the proverbial horse to death to make something right. I'd be embarrassed to concede how many times I had to repaint some of the interior panels to get that darn metallic fawn to apply right. And while one gets better at metal work over time, it's a very forgiving art - if you screw it up; grind it off and try again. I do like problem solving, and if you can look at correcting mistakes as part of a learning process, it will dampen the frustration.

I also need to thank everyone who offered advice and helped solve some of those problems, as well as providing or helping to find much needed parts.

Speed? Yes, I set the Pittsburgh Convention as the target, and that helps. But I've also been fortunate to have overall good health and a capacity for long hours, and not everyone is so fortunate.

Willing to spend the money? Well, yes; though I did have to draw the line occasionally (e.g., an additional $200 for the seat belt boots). But the cost issue is a complicated one. We all know that one rarely can recoup the cost of a full restoration of a vintage car, especially among corvairs. This was a well thought out (I hope) strategic investment, which would not necessarily apply to other corvairs. The Firebrier is a one-of-a-kind vehicle that offered a combination of features that I felt warranted the deep pockets. These included being an 8-door van; having original paint unlikely to mask lots of hidden damage and allowing faithful restoration of the original lettering; having the original "shipper" document to confirm the original options including a relatively rare FC 102 HP engine, positraction rear axle, very rare LCI generator, and pre-oil bath air cleaner - all of which were able to be restored or replaced; having historical photographs allowed restoration of all of the original emergency equipment; and receiving contributions of original vintage equipment from the home Fire Company. (An article I'm working on for an upcoming Communique will describe some fascinating history of the van.) Furthermore, this vehicle has intrinsic value not only among Corvair enthusiasts, but also among vintage fire truck collectors, who are known to have very deep pockets. Thus, I believe that the potential resale value of the Firebrier is close to what I invested (not counting labor). I do not know that that would be true for other corvair cars or FCs, so I can understand some hesitation to crack open the piggy bank. I suppose one question may be whether more people spending more money on corvair restorations increases the value of the vehicles overall?

Steve

Date: June 15, 2018 02:48PM

Steve,

There is a certain amount of pride in doing the work yourself when you are able to do it. The difficult part is having the intelligence and ability to sublet the stuff that you can't do yourself and doing the best you can with the rest.

I have a whole lot more respect for someone that is actually "Hands on" during the restoration process than toward someone that simply farms it ALL out and contributes nothing more than the vehicle to be restored and writing the checks.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Date: June 15, 2018 02:56PM

To answer Monza109's question: The wheels were restored as best I could tell from the historic photographs. The van clearly had wheel covers, and I could not detect a dark rim around wheel covers.

in the few color photographs I have, such as this one

the rim seems to be white; at least there is no hint of red in the image.

Since the van had been outfitted with whitewalls, I think they painted the rims to match.
Steve

Re: FC Fire Dept Truck Restoration
Date: July 08, 2018 05:49AM

Reporting from Saugerties, NY, where the Firebrier had returned to its home port.
With our new custom (extra tall) trailer the Firebrier was trailered to Saugerties.

A long but gratefully uneventful trip, and here the FB disembarks.
Malden-West Camp has two firehouses, and the Firebrier's home was the Malden Firehouse.

We drove the 3 miles from Saugerties to the station, arriving with lights flashing and siren wailing. We pulled in line with one of the current, somewhat larger and more modern engines.

where the FB was inspected by senior, retired and younger volunteers, their spouses and childen.
It was an honor to meet Rich Pesce, who on occasion was the driver for M-WC Emergency Van.

Rich reported that in all the years the van served the fire company, other than an occasional thrown fan belt (who would have guessed!), its 102HP engine never suffered any problems.

One of the great pleasures of the visit was meeting Emmett Vedder Jr and family. Emmett's father was the original 'first driver' of the van. In these three pictures we see him seated in the van as a child in 1963 wearing his Dad's hat, and now again 55 years later, and finally his grandson Emmett Vedder-IV taking his place in the van

Today is the big Sawyer Motors vintage car show in downtown Saugerties, which will be a great event.

Steve

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: July 08, 2018 05:58AM

That is so awesome! thumbs upthumbs up

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 08, 2018 08:44AM

I'll bet you made several more people smile!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: igottajob2 ()
Date: July 12, 2018 07:07PM

I just caught up on this thread and I just wanted to say this is so so awesome! The full circle of it all and the history. AMAZING job! smileys with beerthumbs upgrinning smiley

Minneapolis,MN

1965 500 Coupe
95HP

Built the 1st week of April of 65 at willow run.
500 coupe. The only factory accessory is a rear antenna.
White with a red interior.
Now black with black and red interior.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2018 07:09PM by MattNall.

Current Page: 27 of 27

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.