Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 25 of 27
Re: FC Fire Dept Truck Restoration
Posted by: junkman ()
Date: May 09, 2018 04:35PM

Like so many of the parts that Unity made, it was an additional cost optional accessory. When I was involved in the truck body building business, we stocked all the odd ball stuff because the customers seemed to always want that extra chrome bling, especially the volunteer fire departments.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: May 14, 2018 06:10PM

Backend of the Firebrier is almost done.

I'm holding off on the license plate fixtures for a while yet (don't want to accidentally bang 'em in my tight garage), and the door bumpers need to await installation of the inner panels.

The bumper brackets had been stripped and repainted.

The two large brackets have rubber seals. Since these seals are found on the brackets of rear bumper but not the front, I assume they are intended to block air flow into the engine compartment. The seals on the Firebrier were pretty well obliterated, but Bob Marlow sent me photos of some seals that were in better condition, and the profile is shown in this diagram.

Unable to find a weatherstrip or seal that matched this design from any commercial supplier, I created a pretty good replacement by trimming FC side door window channel - the shape and dimensions matched well. The original seals were removed by carefully bending up the retainer, and this was reversed to reinstall the replacement.

The emergency flashers on the back were manufactured by Dietz.

The originals couldn't be restored, but I was able to locate NOS replacements. However, the replacements were painted, so I had them chromed to match the originals.

The rear grille looks really nice.

As do the emblems.

The original Berzal's emblems is priceless! And it polished up nicely; I thought I saw traces of red paint in the engraved lettering, so I added that. The other emblems are NOS replacements. I'm always really nervous installing (and uninstally) the emblems, fearing the metal will break; but all went well.

Steve

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: May 15, 2018 02:37AM

Wonderful! smiling bouncing smiley

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: dolomitefan ()
Date: May 15, 2018 04:31AM

Great attn to detail

---------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Gibson, Staffordshire, England

1961 Corvair Greenbrier
1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint
2009 Mazda MX5
2015 BMW 1 Series

Date: May 17, 2018 07:10PM

Little steps and big steps

First small stuff
Interior handles are installed

Thought this would be straight forward, by like usual it wasn't.

Can anyone tell apart these different window and door latch handles?

I can't, other than that the door handle on the far right is one of 4 new handles I had acquired a while back.

The differences are apparent on the back side - here's the door handles.

Only the GM handles have the set screw angled, making tightening much easier. 3707582 was the standard FC handle from 1961-64 (why one of these handles has a set screw that is almost centered is a mystery), and then 3848873 was substituted in 1965. It has a slightly more tapered handle. The repro handles are actually more substantial in their construction then the original GM handles. But after much soul-searching, I decided to pass on the brand new repros and use only original GM handles. On one hand, I really hate the center mounted set screws; but also the original handles cleaned up pretty nicely. And I suggest to others try cleaning the original; they may be good if the splines are intact and there's no significant pitting of the chrome.

This is a window crank handle before and after buffing it up with rubbing compound. I found I had enough GM handles that cleaned up equally well.

The big news is that after I got the handles on - and realized that the wiper motor was bad (see the other thread on wiper motor not turning off) so couldn't install the wipers - we took the Firebrier on it's first legal drive around the block a couple of times. Here it is:

Still much to be done - mirrors, interior work, wheel covers, wipers, etc. But it successfully hit the pavement for the first time since 1995. I think the shifter needs adjustment (I hope that's it and not the transmission); I was having a difficult time getting it into second, sometimes it went in smoothly sometimes gears would grind - any suggestions would be appreciated. I actually feel the early style shifter in my 61 is easier to use than this late style.

But at any rate, we attracted as much attention as possible with the beacon and flashing lights on, and hitting the siren periodically.

Check it out:

Unfortiunately (or fortunately) we encountered no fires during the first run.
Steve

Posted by: fred bagnall ()
Date: May 17, 2018 07:22PM

Awesome Steve, 150% as usual. I really have enjoyed this thread. Excellent work and attention to detail. smileys with beerthumbs up

64 Greenbrier std -110, 4spd,barn find on the road again after 46 year hiatus.
66 Turbo Corsa, 180hp,posi-trac, quick steering HD suspension,AM-FM-multiplex,soft-Ray glass all around
Floridian currently residing in Nor Cal

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: May 17, 2018 07:28PM

Steve... What are you using for the flashing lights? The reason that I ask, is that usually, left front and right rear are on one side of the flasher, and right front and left rear are on the other side of the flasher. The reasoning behind this, is that the eye will actually be attracted to the opposite side. This give a visual warning. I personally like the Cole Hersee motorized flasher, with LED bulbs. They flash brightly and crisply between flashes, unlike incandescent bulbs. Once installed behind the lens, they can't be distinguished as to the type of bulb to the casual observer.

Date: May 17, 2018 07:58PM

Paul,
The front lights are the original Turnflex lights rechromed, the rear lights are the Dietz lights that I posted about earlier. The lights run from a standard GM hazard flasher switch:

I bought one of the GM restoration units sold on ebay. Cost a bundle, but the 1963 unit was an exact match for the original in the Firebrier. The wiring was a bit of a rats-nest as got it, but I could see the way the wires coming out of the original flasher switch has been joined, and I found that there was only a single wire running to both of the rear flasher lights; Thus, based upon the evidence in the Firebrier, the lights were originally wired to flash in unison.

Speaking of controls, the siren runs from foot buttons, one on either side of the cab.

Thus, Jane was running the siren in the video from the passenger side button. Power for the siren comes from a cable connected to the starter.

The beacon light is turned on from a switch mounted on the dash

Steve

Posted by: matchlessmo ()
Date: May 18, 2018 03:05AM

That's one nice fire truck👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍.

Posted by: cad-kid ()
Date: May 18, 2018 04:13AM

Great video! It was cool to hear the siren and afterwards the engine burbling away. sounds nicethumbs up

Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
CORSA Member#031129
SOLD-9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
My YouTube page yawning smiley

Date: May 28, 2018 07:47PM

I've been mov'in along on the reassembly, not without occasional setbacks...
the latest being the whitewalls:

I had noticed this discoloration of the whitewalls spreading from the rim, but thinking it was just dirt or a stain from the body shop. Nope, absolutely permanent; turns out to be a manufacturing defect. Good news is the Coker Tire Company has agreed to replace them, but I have to pay up-front for the replacements - $$$ - (which they refund when the defective ones are returned) and pay to have the defective tires removed and the new ones mounted and balanced. - all without damaging the paint on the wheels. PITA

The rear inner panels have been installed.

Getting these panels is never easy, and I find the best way is to angle them in from the bottom to minimize chances of scratching the floor paint.

Installing the two screws that secure each panel from the underside is a particular annoyance; made only slightly easier by chasing the threads beforehand.

I've installed the jacking instruction sheet between the two NOS jack brackets. Does anyone know where exactly the positraction warning sticker should be placed. The assembly manual shows it directly above the jacking sticker, but that doesn't make sense. Fortunately I had a good supply of those "sombrero" screws used to secure everything back there; with soft brass brush and fine steel wool, they all polished up nicely.
btw:I need to revise the instruction I gave previously for adding the weatherstrip to the inner panels. It should be like this:

The thin flat weatherstrip goes along the bottom edge an a 3/8" D-shaped weatherstrip goes along the top edge.

Here's the left side before installation of the cardboard corner piece. The antenna coax cable for the two-way radio is wired up to the bottom of the front seat (more about that later). A nice repro cardboard piece is available from Clarks. However, some work will be needed to make it look right.

The color of the repro panels was not a good match, so I painted them the interior fawn. I needed to do some trimming with a straight edge and exacto-knife to allow the panels to fit correctly.

Further forward, the load area mat was installed. I had near-perfect rubber support pieces - saved for years - that serve to fill the floor corrugations

and provide a flat surface for the mat

And here's the floor mat installed above it.

Finally, I get to actually use one of my repro floor mats in my own vehicle!!
And another one up front.

Underneath is an original tarpaper layer (two pieces), and a polyester fiber layer above - no reproduction for the original jute is avaialble.

And the front scuff plates are in place. The large upper ones are NOS the lower ones are restored used ones.

Steve

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 28, 2018 08:30PM

Picasso!

Bummer on the tires...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: May 28, 2018 09:21PM

High quality workmanship. Very nice.

Date: June 02, 2018 06:08PM

Really getting down to the nitty gritty.
The Motorola Motrac two-way radio is installed. Here's the head unit mpounted under the dash.

The radio electronics have been fully restored by a local electronics wizard with much experience with these old units. He came out of retirement to do this one. The microphone is temporarily attached to a bracket connected under the dash. There were numerous screw holes in the dash originally (all removed), but none that clearly would have been for the mike, and the most obvious location - to the left of the ash tray - had no screw holes at all. If I get more information as to where the microphone was originally mounted, I can move it later.

The head unit connects via a cable that runs under the front floor mat to the receiver/transmitter/power-supply unit located under the front seat.

Here I have the seat tilted up so I have working space. The unit just fits under the seat adjustment relay rod. The radio actually has three power input lines. The large red wire to this unit connects directly to the battery (at the starter). Separate power inputs to the head unit turn on the receiver and transmitter as needed. The transmitter is on the ignition switch circuit to avoid killing the battery.

A 102" antenna is installed. The coaxial cable follows the battery positive cable through the grommet in the front left corner of the engine compartment and continues to and comes up under the front seat. As I said the unit is fully functional, although I am not sure which FM wavelength it operates on. So far I have been unable to pick up any conversations, either from 2018 or the 1960s.

The above picture also shows that the outside rear view mirrors are mounted. !963 was the last year these larger West Coast Jr mirrors were a dealer installed option.

I've heard other people denigrate these mirrors, but I've always liked them - really ruggedly constructed . . .

. . . but difficult to install. If they need to be painted (as these were) be sure to premount, bending the brackets as necessary beforehand. Positioning the clamps with the black gaskets in place is a real pain, but here is another great new use of electrical shrink tubing.

1" diameter heat shrink tubing will collapse down to the perfect diameter to serve as the gasket. And you can tighten and loosen the clamps as needed and the tubing will slide with the clamp as its position is adjusted

Unfortunately, the rear doorway of the enclosed trailer I've ordered (scheduled to arrive next week) will not be wide enough to fit the van with the mirrors, so I've made arrangements to allow easy removal of the mirrors. Actually, the only real problem to doing so is the third support arm that mounts directly to the door. Loosening the nut risks losing the unusual shaped bolt that fits into the door jamb. My solution was to secure this bolt permanently in place.

I made a small sleeve that fills the excess space in the hole through which the bolt passes; with a little JB bond on the back side the bolt is locked in place exactly where needed.
The other accommodation for mirror removal is using a 1/32" self-adhesive rubber sheet as the gasket.
This way the gasket will also not be lost when the mirror is removed.

On the to-do list is making a couple of foam-lined boxes for storing the mirrors.

Steve

Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: June 02, 2018 06:47PM

Steve,

I have been following this post since you started. I wish I could do such excellent work!

You have finally gotten to a subject I know a little about. Being an electrical engineer all my life I know a little about Motorola radios (I worked for Motorola a long time ago).

The MOTRAC is their first "almost" all solid state radio. Like all Motorola professional radios they are FM. They operate in one of three frequency bands.

40 to 60 MC (now known as Mhz)
150 to 170 MC
450 to 470 MC

The "108 inch whip antenna" was used for Citizen Band (AM) radios so I don't think it will work on your truck.

If you can get the model number from your radio we can determine its frequency band. Is this the actual radio from the truck or a replacement?

I will be happy to help on this small item!

Thanks for all the hard work you put into this restoration!!!

Dale winking smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Date: June 02, 2018 07:16PM

Hi Dale,
Thanks for the info. I'll try to read the model number tomorrow; this is a replacement not the original radio. I have a manual for a motrac radio (picked it up on ebay) and it says very little about the antenna; but has a picture of a short one attached to the bumper of a car. Yet I had several people tell me that the 102(8?)" antenna was correct. What size antenna should be used? (I guess longer isn't better?)
Steve

Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: June 02, 2018 08:01PM

Steve,

The correct antenna will depend on the frequency band the radio operates on.

The 108 inch whip (the "whip" is 102" and is attached to a 6" spring) is a Quarter Wave length at 27Mhz, where the Citizens Band radios operate.

50Mhz = 58.5 inch

150Mhz = 19.5 inch

450Mhz = 6.5 inch

As you can see those are quite a bit different from the one you installed. Do you have any information about the fire department they talked to?

When you get the model number I will see what I can find.

Dale winking smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: June 03, 2018 03:05AM

I love the tips on heat shrink tubing.

Beautiful work, awesome job, Steve!

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: ken ()
Date: June 03, 2018 04:15AM

Outstanding !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: June 03, 2018 07:28AM

Steve you might want to hire an exorcist if you start receiving radio calls from the 60'ssmiling smiley I have been following your thread. Excellent work on an awesome project.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Current Page: 25 of 27

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.