Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 22 of 27
Re: FC Fire Dept Truck Restoration
Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: February 09, 2018 09:58PM

There's a Firebrier under there somewhere

Rick seems to have an endless supply of masking plastic, paper tape, etc. When I paint back home I always seem to be scrounging, which is a pretty silly way to operate considering this stuff doesn't cost all that much compared to, say, the paint!. And red paint is particularly expensive.

At any rate, doors are still not yet installed but everything else is well protected while the roof is painted.

Among the several reasons I'm disinclined to do the finish exterior painting is the difficulty painting such a large expanse. Rick does it without the benefit of a rotisserie, propelling himself along on a wheeled cart. Done perfectly.

I went in to fit some door grommets. These are an item I make myself (been selling them on ebay for a while), made from the same tough urethane rubber used for the floor mats.

I started making them myself because I found the silicon rubber alternatives tend to rip when the hinges are installed. And this is a particular problem because on some doors the internal frame is positioned so close to the hole that there's very little room for the internal flange of the grommet.

I'm not sure how the factory fit the original grommets (wish I had looked more closely when I pulled them off) with such constraints, but on my '61 GB in these situations the grommets often became damaged and would not lie flat. My solution this time was to make some custom grommets with extra thin flanges on the back side (the bottom one in this pic):

which, with additional extra trimming, fit cleanly into these extra tight holes.

And all were tested by sliding in a hinge. Although the original grommets were painted, these will be left left unpainted. The paint is very unlikely to adhere for any period of time, and eventual chipping would look awful.

The dash still needs to be painted, and various small parts. And I'm getting excited about soon seeing the Firebrier, doors reinstalled and lettering all the way around.
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: February 10, 2018 06:43AM

Nicely done, as usual. Great job!

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Date: February 16, 2018 10:01PM

Looking to be an exciting weekend.

Ohio River is rising; parts of Marietta already under water. 35 feet begins to flood downtown; 39 feet floods New Weihl Olds body shop. Diagram show current crest at 38.7 feet on Sunday; projected crest has been slowly rising.

Plan is to elevate the Firebrier.

Steve

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 16, 2018 10:27PM

Best of luck to all of you in the area!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: February 18, 2018 02:58PM

Most of Marietta dodged a close one.
By midnight, the forecasted crest was almost 40 feet (5 feet above flood stage), which would have put about 10 inches of water in the shop. But, the crest never quite reached 39 feet, and flood water was only lapping on the parking lot of the body shop.

The low areas in town were hit the worst, but most of the city remained dry. Often the flood waters arise from the storm water drains, as is the case here. Historically, Marietta's downtown flooded so often that over a century ago ground level was raised about 10 feet. The original store fronts are now underground and can still be found in the basement of some of the remaining old buildings.

Here's the Ohio River running wild on the Ohio and West Virginia sides.

The river actually belongs to WV, and sometimes I wish they would keep a tighter leash on it smiling smiley
Steve

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 18, 2018 03:04PM

Glad you escaped!! gg

Murrieta sounds like Seattle... only it was SEWAGE from all the homes built on the hills!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: February 18, 2018 04:54PM

Whew thumbs up

-Tom

73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Date: February 24, 2018 06:21AM

Déjà vu. The Ohio River will be threatening Marietta again in the next few days and most of the downtown businesses have cleared their first floor. Last week, at 39 feet (4 feet above flood level), water was just beginning to come up from the floor drains. This time the crest is projected at between 41-44 feet. Rick has cleared much of the shop and put the Firebrier up on a lift.

A few shots:

However, I did take the opportunity to create a panorama view of the undercarriage (photomerged together). You can click on the image to see an enlarged version.

Between previous and anticipated floods, the dash was painted. Rick inspecting; no shortage of masking to protect interior and exterior paint, and the front seat upholstery.

And after painting dash and instrument panel.

Hopefully, flood waters will again be less than the worst case scenarios.

Steve

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: February 24, 2018 06:14PM

What type and brand of paint are you using on the interior? thanks

Date: February 24, 2018 06:34PM

Paul,
This is an excellent match to the interior fawn; at least to the '63 fawn poly that was in the Firebrier.

Flood update: Crest has been reduced back down below 39 feet. Assuming this is accurate, most of the downtown (and the body shop) will be spared again.
Steve

Attachments:
Posted by: igottajob2 ()
Date: February 27, 2018 08:47AM

Amazing work!!smileys with beer

Minneapolis,MN

1965 500 Coupe
95HP

Built the 1st week of April of 65 at willow run.
500 coupe. The only factory accessory is a rear antenna.
White with a red interior.
Now black with black and red interior.

Date: March 05, 2018 05:12PM

A Marietta-Firebrier update. The flood projected for last weekend was a complete fizzle. The crest, initially projected for 44 feet was reduced to 39 feet, and then never exceeded flood level (35 feet). But not before all the downtown businesses semi-ed most of their merchandise to higher ground. We're all glad the town did not flood, but it's discouraging that the actually crest was 12 feet lower than what was originally projected. I know flood projection (like the weather) is notoriously unreliable, but but also wonder if the National Weather Service (responsible for flood projections) is another federal agency suffering under-funding and under-staffing?

Doors are on and I think the lettering looks great.

I was awaiting this with excitement, and some some trepidation, fearing lettering would not line up, or - nightmares of a worse case scenario - doors received wrong lettering. But with the doors on the lettering aligned just right.

Lettering on back doors, exactly as originally painted:

But there's also been a setback, necessitating a lot of remasking:

When I looked at the inside of the doors, I found that the exterior red paint had been allowed to overlap about 3/16 inch on the inside of the doors:

which, not only wasn't how it was done originally, but to my eyes, looked weird.

I'm not sure if the FC doors were always painted the same way, but on the Firebrier, the interior paint extended to the edge of the door. Fixing this is going to entail a lot of time remasking just to paint over a thin line of red paint.
ugh! Cha-ching!!

Steve

Date: March 08, 2018 08:14PM

Repainting the door edges is taking a lot of work, and time. I thought I'd mention, as shown above, each door interior must be carefully masked along the edge of the outer skin, and the outside masked but with the tape extending flat from the door edge (not wrapped tight), to avoid getting a hard edge between the interior and exterior paints.

But in the interim, I've cleaned up the instrument panel:
Note the cigarette lighter hole cover plate.

Overall it was in petty good shape. The frame paint had taken a beating below the ignition switch and headlight switch. So it was sanded, primed and repainted:

and everything else was cleaned, and the chrome parts buffed.

The speedometer looks to be in great shape.
Likewise for the odometer, showing the original 15882 miles, with no evidence of the typical flaking of the numbers.

Steve

Posted by: dolomitefan ()
Date: March 09, 2018 12:46AM

Perhaps a bit of a newbie question but did all FC's have the same gear shift indicators on the dash whether they were 3 or 4 speed? I have a 3 speed but I have a 2, 3 and 4 on mine. Just wondered.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Gibson, Staffordshire, England

1961 Corvair Greenbrier
1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint
2009 Mazda MX5
2015 BMW 1 Series

Date: March 09, 2018 03:11AM

Fine work as usual Steve!

-Tom

73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: March 09, 2018 04:39AM

Love the lighter delete...how appropriate on a fire truck!

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Other fun car: Porsche 911 GT3
Boring daily drivers
Northern Colorado, USA

Date: March 09, 2018 04:49AM

I've been wondering about this: is an item appropriately called a "delete" if its absence was the standard configuration?

In regards to shift points on the speedometer. I've only seen speedometers with 4 shift points. When I look in the (notoriously unreliable) parts manuals, I do not see speedometer heads listed for different transmissions. And wouldn't the actual 'recommended' shift points also depend upon the differential gear ratio ... which I now remember was always 3.89 in FCs (except early '61)?
Steve

Posted by: dolomitefan ()
Date: March 09, 2018 05:42AM

I do love that underside shot. The colour looks good too.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Gibson, Staffordshire, England

1961 Corvair Greenbrier
1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint
2009 Mazda MX5
2015 BMW 1 Series

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: March 09, 2018 05:55AM

SteveInMarietta Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been wondering about this: is an item
> appropriately called a "delete" if its absence was
> the standard configuration?
>
> In regards to shift points on the speedometer.
> I've only seen speedometers with 4 shift points.
> When I look in the (notoriously unreliable) parts
> manuals, I do not see speedometer heads listed for
> different transmissions. And wouldn't the actual
> 'recommended' shift points also depend upon the
> differential gear ratio ... which I now remember
> was always 3.89 in FCs (except early '61)?
> Steve

As far as I know all FCs used the same speedometer regardless of transmission or final ratio. The shift points were just suggested maximum shift points and were not meant to be exactly accurate. According to all currently available data all 145 engines used a 3.89 and 164 engines used a 3.55. I have a 3.27 in my Rampside and it works like a charm.

Date: March 09, 2018 06:05AM

Oh, right, 3.55 began in '64. I've always really appreciated the 3.89 in my '61 GB, since I mainly do "city" driving. 3.55 & especially 3.27 would be better for the long haul to the conventions.
Steve

Current Page: 22 of 27

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.