Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 18 of 28
Re: FC Fire Dept Truck Restoration
Posted by: cad-kid ()
Date: September 08, 2017 11:41AM

Nice progress!

Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD-9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
<a href=http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,570615>My 65 Monza thread</a>
<a href=https://www.youtube.com/user/cad0kid>My YouTube page</a> yawning smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: September 08, 2017 02:25PM

It appears that I have been sued by the Firebrier in the Washington County OH Common Pleas Court

Well, OK, actually no. But apparently this is the only way the Court system can record my application for an OH title for the Firebrier.

Since the Firebrier did not come with a title (something I have been very nervous about), I had to apply for one. In Ohio, the only way to get one when none exists is by filing for a "Court Ordered Title" through the Common Pleas Court. This has been a rather involved process.

Following the lengthy set of instructions - on which is stamped boldly "There is no guarantee that a title will be granted" - I had to file an affidavit. Included were officially-stamped documents I obtained from the DMV/BMVs of NY (where the Firebrier originally resided), FL (where the it was purchased), and OH (where I'm applying for the title) showing that there were no title or registration records for this vehicle; plus documentation showing that there was no record of it being stolen; plus assorted other documents.

This then entitled me to take the van to the State salvage Inspection station to be inspected. Now this is what has created the problem from day 1. I learned from the very nice officer at the station that while it was OK to tow a vehicle to the station for inspection, it must drive into the garage under its own power. Now that posed a bit a problem, as you will recall the condition of the Firebrier on arrival. So I have had to do all of the restoration so far to make it road worthy to get it inspected so that I could get the title. And not knowing how well this process would work out, making the restoration investment has been... well, risky.

So as I reported previously, I rented a Uhaul trailer and towed the Firebrier up to New Concord OH. Now you might ask, what was it being inspected for and how knowledgeable of Corvair 95s are the inspectors? Very knowledgeable I was told. The inspection began with the very nice officer looking at the VIN tag and stating "The VIN tag has been replaced", showing me the irregular blobs of weld on either side. I suggested that this was the way the VIN tags were originally attached, and that he may wish to compare the hidden VIN number. Which he did after I showed him where it is. He then proceded to thoroughly look it over, writing down critical numbers - the engine code, the carburetors codes, the mileage, etc. Looking for evidence that the van had been stolen.

So after retiring to his office for a while, we met again and I was informed that because the vehicle did not have a 17 digit VIN number, he could not do an adequate on-line search of its records. (Bear in mind, I had the affidavit, with all the official documents from NY, FL and OH; and also bear in mind that they "routinely" do inspections of vintage vehicles.) As a consequence, he would have to bring in from Columbus an "expert" who would somehow research the VIN in the deep vaults of official state archives. But I would have to bring the vehicle back for this to be done. I nodded and thanked him for the thoroughness of his work.

So, a week later we merrily uHaul the FB back to New Concord. Here it is in the Inspection Garage.

where it was given a thorough 10 minute inspection. The "expert" looked at the VIN tag and the very nice officer looked again at the hidden VIN, and again confirmed that they agree. 20 minutes after that I had the necessary paperwork signed and sealed. Oh, on the way out the very nice officer asked if he could take a picture of the FB because his father use to own a Greenbrier.

With the affidavit and inspection now duly filed and secured, today was my day in court. I sat before the bench, the Baliff instructed everyone (me) to rise when the Judge entered, and then be seated. I stated my case, he agreed it was justified, signed the Court Order for the title. We (me) all rose as the judge returned to his chambers. And I now have a title!

Total cost: approximately $550 - not including the uHaul trailer. I'm not complaining, the system worked; but it certainly has its humorous side.
Steve

Posted by: eddieb ()
Date: September 08, 2017 03:30PM

And after all that they spelled Greenbrier wrong. Glad you finally succeeded in getting a title,it's come a long way since that hot day you first saw it.
We are now getting ready for Irma, looks like it's coming right over our house. EddieB Dade City,Fl

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: September 08, 2017 04:10PM

Cool! I went through a very similar process myself last year. Jump this hoop and oh you forgot to dot that i! Congrats on getting it all sorted!

Posted by: Carburetor ()
Date: September 11, 2017 08:29AM

After years of following various Internet car forums (including this one), I think this is by far my favorite post of all time.

This could become a "How To Restore Your Greenbrier" book. I know I'd buy one, and I've never owned one.

smileys with beer

Jim C.
Chesterfield, MI

1966 Monza convertible (140 / PG)
2017 Chevrolet Trax (daily driver)
2017 Chevrolet Volt (wife's ride)

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: September 11, 2017 01:05PM

What an adventure! And yes... of course they spelled Greenbrier wrong!eye rolling smiley

But no one can say that this project is not a story in it's self.
Great work Steve!thumbs up And thanks once again for sharing the details. This is a fun thread to read and follow.

Corventure Dave

Posted by: RKF ()
Date: September 11, 2017 05:40PM

You live in God's country. My parents were from Hocking County. I still go back there once in awhile, just for the beauty and peacefulness.

Date: September 11, 2017 06:48PM

Thanks for the kind words from my Forum friends.

Yes, this is a beautiful area. Unlike the northern realm of OH, this area was never glaciated (at last last time), so it still have some interesting topography, including Old Man Cave in the Hocking Hills State Park. God's Country? Well, fortunately, he always seems to ignore SE Ohio when conjuring up hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, tsunamis, and other major calamities.

I hope everyone down South makes it through the recent storms a best possible.
Steve

Date: October 25, 2017 07:56PM

Some progress to report on color selection for the Firebrier. The Firebrier did not have custom paint, but rather "standard" RPO 514 - solid cardinal red. Standard in quotes because research has shown that cardinal red varied widely in hue between years, models and assembly lines. The Firebrier 514 had a definite orange tint

somewhat faded, but not as much as one might expect based upon paint in some protected areas. I decided to look for a red with a strong orange hue, but not so orange as the old paint.

The Firebrier will receive base coat/clear coat, since it's durable and offers the widest and easiest choice of colors. New Weihl Body Shop, which is doing the work uses paints by Sikkens, which has a good quality automotive paint line and provides chip books with thousands of colors. I was focusing on the reds

of which this a but a few of the pages.

Rick the shop owner, and the crew are great, and have been willing to test paint several colors. The first was distinctly too orange,

although less so than it appears here. For each color a test plate was also painted so that I could view the paint under different light sources.

These were really valuable since the paints always looked more orange under shop lighting than sunlight... and most every other light source. The third try was met with approval

So now final block sanding and painting will proceed. However, a separate metal plate is also being painted on which the gold-leaf lettering will be test painted, and I hope to be reporting on that soon.

Recently I received the rechromed parts back from California Corvairs:

Everything looks beautiful; flawlessly rechromed as best I can tell. I've always been pleased with the rechroming Jeff provides. Here's a closeup of the front flashers

You may recall these will be mounted on the front of the cab:

I also plan to soon describe restoration of the cab vent windows, which I've been working on, and off, for a while now.
Steve

Posted by: Pedigo ()
Date: October 26, 2017 07:48AM

Did you have to rechrome the NOS left-side intermediate cargo door handle escutceon I sold you?
I really like that red you went with! Beautiful.thumbs up

Date: October 26, 2017 12:46PM

That near-unobtanium left side escutcheon you provided did not need to be rechromed, but was used on our blue 61 8-door GB; the back side 'stem' of the original one had broken off and was JB-welded back together.

These parts are all original to the Firebrier except for one NOS handle I was given. I have a whole extra set of handles which I also had rechromed and are listed here on ebay (trying to recoup some of my expenses). I could discount the price 10% if purchased directly - if anyone is interested, PM me.
Steve

Date: November 06, 2017 04:31AM

I recently restored the vent windows of the Firebrier, a job I find to be a particularly difficult. It’s crucial that certain parts are installed at the appropriate time, and there are numerous opportunities to install components backwards. I strongly suggest photographing the vents thoroughly before disassembly to document orientations.

To disassemble the vent window itself from outer vent support frame, I prefer, removing the two rivets that secure the pivot hinge to the outer vent support frame. My advice is rather than trying to drill out the rivets, simply grind off the head or crimp and then punch them out.

I stripped old paint, derusted and primed everything. The window frame and black trim piece were repainted with Rustoleum gloss black paint, and the support frame and lower mounting bracket with Rustoleum Matte Nickel.

To redrill the rivet holes in the replacement channel, I inserted a wood backer strip in the channel and clamped it to the old channel to serve as a template; the wood strip helps when clamping the channels together, and also prevents damage to the felt lining when the new rivet holes are drilled.

During reassembly, having the correct orientation of the components will prevent later frustration (trust me!). Parts that must be oriented correctly are the black trim pieces, the molded weatherstrips (molded for either the left or right side), the special washer that that limits window rotation, and the bottom mounting bracket.
To clinch rivets, I used both a center punch (to initially secure the rivet) and a Hanson HT-174 hand rivet clincher. I also used a small steel backer block to hold the rivets in place and to serve to counter weight the hammer strike when clinching.

I found that if the rivets of the small vertical weather strip piece are over tighten, the weatherstrip will bow outward between the rivets (and everything must be replaced -ugh!). They should be clinched just tight enough to hold the weatherstrip in place.

Reinstalling the window into the support frame is tricky. The replacement molded weatherstrip was partially installed, next the window pivot post was pushed through its hole in the weatherstrip and frame, and then the window hinge was riveted back onto the support frame. I clamped the clincher into a vice and then carefully hammered the rivet heads to crimp them.

With the hinge secured in place, the rest of the weatherstrip can be installed.

The vent support frame and window was reattached to the channel, and then I attached the mounting bracket on the bottom of the channel. Because none of rivets from Clarks fit the existing holes, I used some slightly longer rivets and washers.

With the vents fully reassembled, the tensioning spring was reinstalled. Sometimes a little twisting is necessary to get the window to seat correctly, but the correct alignment of the support frame and channel will also be established when the vent is installed in the door.

Date: November 06, 2017 07:29AM

Steve,
Great job describing the wing window process. I feel your pain! It was laborious for me also and I could not find a way to describe the step by step and challenging process to post here like you did.
Great job.
After installation, I found that the windows were a bit hard to close completely. This took two things to resolve. One was tweeking the pivot hinge to move the top of the glass more forward. And second, letting the closed glass form to the new gasket a bit.
Having done 2 pairs over the years, I would like to think I have a better handle on this. But each time was a challenge and one I would have to really motivate myself to do again. However... it is doable with the patience like you have shown!smileys with beer

Corventure Dave

Attachments:
Date: November 06, 2017 11:07AM

Dave,
Great additional information. Thanks. I have also written a more lengthy description of the vent window rebuild process for the next issue of CorvanAntics.
Steve

Date: November 06, 2017 11:45AM

thumbs up

Corventure Dave

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: November 06, 2017 12:19PM

Wow nice rivet job. Much better than using pop rivets like i did. Great work as usual!

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
Other fun stuff - 2004 Porsche GT3 (Track only) - 2020 Porsche GT4
Northern Colorado, USA

Date: November 06, 2017 12:30PM

Thanks Nick. The Hanson hand clincher works really well. Here are two of the clinched rivets that hold the vent support frame to the channel; they look very close to the original, although the clinches are a little smaller.
Steve

Attachments:
Posted by: Pedigo ()
Date: November 06, 2017 06:20PM

As always,Steve. Your attention to detail is second to none. I'm dreading this task.

Date: November 06, 2017 06:52PM

I see no use for the Hanson clincher in the foreseeable future, and you're welcome to use it.
Steve

Posted by: matchlessmo ()
Date: November 08, 2017 06:20PM

Steve any issue with new channels sticking out further than the stock ones, since mine sticks out when I did them in 2012, if not where did you buy replacement Channels . Thks

. .

Current Page: 18 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.