home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 17 of 20
Re: FC Fire Dept Truck Restoration
Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: July 14, 2017 08:20PM

Another milestone!

The last of the exterior paint has be removed and the entire exterior of the Firebrier is now primed.

After finishing the doors, I wrapped up stripping the rest of the cab. There were a few areas that needed body work - a couple days work - but nothing major. The final assessment is always done after the high build primer is applied. Hopefully sanding is adequate to remove defect, but if not, a little filler, resanding and then repriming will do the job. Considering how damaged were the corner pieces (describe previously), it was a relief that below the bumper the front body panel was in excellent condition, like new!

The inside of the cowl had lots of overspray, and I have gone ahead and replicated it now, masking the gas heater cover panel, which was (and is) black. This way when the exterior is painted at the shop, they can simply just mask of the cowl.

Answer to questions from previous post...

Mudwasp question: B-35, EXCEPT... - found another one, so count sits at 36.

Intractable door bolt problem: I used my beloved Smith Mini-Torch!

I used a tiny, but white-hot flame directed through the hole directly onto the bolt head. When it was red hot, I immediately squirted water to rapidly chill it - the temperature shock freed the threads, and it easily came out with a screwdriver.

Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cad-kid ()
Date: July 16, 2017 05:09PM

Awesome job, thank you for sharing the journey with us.

Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
CORSA Member#031129
SOLD-9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
My YouTube page yawning smiley

Date: July 23, 2017 06:53PM

Progress and almost a major screw-up!

The side window lower sashes have been cleaned up:

Overall they were in pretty good condition, little rust, and the setting tape and rain guard weather strip were still pliable. After stripping the remnants of the original paint and wire wheeling off any rust, everything was masked. The sashes were primed (self-etching) and then painted gloss black. Done, but the windows will not be reinstalled until after the exterior is painted.

The windshield wiper linkage rods also are also refreshed. The pivots were originally galvanized (or tern coated?), and they're now painted with Rustoleum matte nickel, which I used for all similar metal parts. The linkage rods are painted gloss black.

If there's a trick to reinstalling these wiper assemblies please share it, because I find this really difficult, and inevitably involves dropping a screw or two into the black hole of the front cowl space!

All the doors have been temporarily reinstalled so that alignment and spacing can be established:

Alignment of most of the doors was still pretty good, but these left side intermediate doors needed a lot of work. As it arrived, the lower hinge of the forward door was damaged. Someone had drilled out the pin and replaced it with something resembling a large nail. The hinge was restored with NOS replacement hinge leaf, bushings and pin. That was essential, but a lot more work was needed - I took a tip from assembly plant lore and used my HF press to bend the hinges. This worked remarkably well, and only slight bending was needed to get good alignment and gaps. Oh, those are foam insulation boards I've cut to fit the windows to keep dust out.

I often have a knack for doing exactly what I don't intend, which happened last week. A few days ago I installed the instrument panel to test starting the engine with the ignition switch as well as the engine indicator lights. Low and behold, the generator light stayed on! This was a real bummer. I had confidence in the 35 Amp LCI generator, which Ken Hand had rebuilt and tested, but I had not previously tested the rare NOS regulator that I had acquired on ebay. Well, I soon realized that when I had reinstalled the regulator the previous week, I had reversed the wires going to the BAT and F connectors (what a dummy!). The long-shot solution of simply connecting the wires correctly didn't work, and I feared I had ruined the regulator. And I nearly had:

This junction between the Field connector and the current regulator had been fried. Figuring there was nothing to lose, I carefully rewelded together the ends of the metal plate, and it worked fine. The gen light goes out and a volt meter showed that the battery charges correctly.
Whew!
Steve

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 23, 2017 07:38PM

You got lucky!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: July 24, 2017 07:37AM

I have also had some momentary brain farts!!!

smileys with beer

Corventure Dave

Date: July 25, 2017 03:29PM

The Firebrier hits the road - well, the alley behind the house.

It's really tight pulling out of my garage. Doesn't help that my neighbor planted a tree right across from the door. I was having trouble finding first gear, kept going into reverse; mainly because position of gears is very different than for my '61 GB with the early style shifter. Drove fine, a little noisy - no door weatherstrips.

To the best of my knowledge, this is first time the Firebrier has been on the road in 22 years.

btw: As best I can tell, with the beacon light installed, there will be about 1" clearance of the door opening.
Steve

Posted by: 63vert ()
Date: July 25, 2017 03:33PM

👍🏻 I'm living vicariously through your posts..

Lockport, NY

1962RustBus

Posted by: TIBCO ()
Date: July 25, 2017 06:02PM

Way to go Doc. Yeah, it's a little noisy on the outside as well. smoking smiley

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY
CORSA, CKCE
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: July 25, 2017 06:32PM

Cool!! Great work!

Posted by: igottajob2 ()
Date: July 26, 2017 06:00AM

WELL DONE!!!!!!! smileys with beer

Minneapolis,MN

1965 500 Coupe
95HP

Built the 1st week of April of 65 at willow run.
500 coupe. The only factory accessory is a rear antenna.
White with a red interior.
Now black with black and red interior.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: July 26, 2017 01:15PM

Oh what fun!thumbs up
I did the same during my Rampside project. Drove around the block a few times... no glass, no trim, no weather strips, no lights....
Weeee!smiling bouncing smiley

smileys with beer

Corventure Dave

Date: August 10, 2017 04:42PM

OT side bar: Back from a week down the Jersey shore! A lovely time in Ocean Grove, even for someone who prefers to avoid the sun. (o us native Jersey-ites, (even one now in OH) one goes "down the shore" not "to the beach"; and only to native Jersey-ites does it matter if you're from north jersey vs south Jersey.

But back in the Ohio... headlight assemblies are ready for reinstallation when the time comes.

The original headlight buckets were rusted beyond repair, and Mike Deklotz was able to provide nice CA replacements. They were thoroughly stripped, primed and painted with gloss black enamel. Mike was kind enough to provide all new adjusters, and I replaced one spring.

Replacement headlight harnesses came from Clarks, as did the directional/parking light harnesses. But replacing the sockets was more work than expected. Here's the back end of the directional light socket restored with the proper boot...

... but I wish I had read Jack Bacon's thread about his headlight socket repair to completion. I too discovered the hard way that the C6172 replacement sockets that Clarks sells for the taillights don't work for the front directionals. But that was that was just one of the problems.

The FC directional/parking light harness that Clarks sells (C9752P) has a couple of issues, which was surprising since it's manufactured by M & H, from whom I've always gotten quality harnesses in the past. As you can see that boot looks nothing at all like the original. Since Clarks' FC tail light wiring replacement harness (C5733T) comes with the correct boot, I decided to use those boots instead. Then I ran into the second problem, the metal tangs of the C9257P socket simply snapped off when I tried to peen them over. (I've reported this to Clarks and they are looking into it, and they compensated for the problem.) So I decided to use Clarks replacement taillight sockets (C6172) instead, and it wasn't until I had everything done that I discovered (as did Jack) that the bulbs wouldn't seat. As best I can tell, the problem is not the length of the housing per se, rather, the thickness of the socket rim and the recessed hole into which it fits conspire to prevent the the bulb from seating. So everything was dissasembled, and I substituted AutoZone 1157 bulb replacement sockets; the tangs on these also peened over and the bulbs seated just fine.

Part of the hassle in redoing everything was the need to carefully solder the wires from the C5733T harness directly to the contacts in the bulb socket. I did not want to have splices in the wires. And this had to be undone to remove the sockets.

I can attest that the hassle factor is compounded exponentially by finally getting the wires soldered on and forgetting to first pass the wires through the boot as well as through a small brass sleeve and the spring that are parts of the contact assemble. UGH!

Thanks to Jim Brandberg for working out a trade for the T3 bulbs I needed.

Steve

Posted by: jack bacon ()
Date: August 11, 2017 09:37PM

Nice job on the light sockets Steve! I did the same thing and found my 1157 sockets at Advance Auto Parts and they worked great!

Jack

CORSA Central Division Director
CORSA Membership Chairman
Corvair Minnesota President
Corvair Minnesota Memberhip Director
Iowa Corvair Enthusiasts
Chicagoland Corvair Enthusiasts
Corvanatics
Heart of America Corvair Owners Association
Antique Motorycle Club of America / Viking Chapter AMCA
Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club / Viking Chaper VJMC
garagejournal.com
1972 Honda CB175
1962 Rampside baby blue

Date: August 23, 2017 08:13PM

What's wrong with this picture?

Yep... the Firebrier is gone! Finally off to the body shop for finish exterior paint.

I rented a Uhaul trailer and made a cover out of a really big Harbor Freight tarp.

Protection against the elements, which turned out to be blue sky and sunshine. If I had been heading straight to the body shop (about a mile away), I wouldn't have bothered to make the cover, just waited for a clear day. But first I had to haul it about 60 miles to a State Salvage Inspection Station in New Concord OH ...

... to have the VIN number verified. Yes indeed, the VIN on the tag and the frame agree. (Truth be told, this was the second trip for the Firebrier to the Inspection Station, but that's part of another story to be told later.)

And then to the Body shop.

The New Weihl Body Shop painted my 61 GB, inside and out. The owner is a great guy. They're going to do the final block sanding, fixing any imperfections that I missed (I know there are several), and then paint the exterior. Even though I had paint mixed to match the original Cardinal Red, after seeing it in bright sunshine, I'm not sure it's right. Fortunately, as for the 61, the shop is willing to paint a door a few times until I think the color is right. On one hand, this will be an easier paint job since the exterior is solid red (no white line), but also will require restoring the lettering that wrapped around on all four sides. I'll be posting about how the original lettering will be replicated later.
Steve

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: August 26, 2017 07:42AM

It will be exciting to see it done up in red.
Are you going to do some making up with your other 8-door Greenbrier in the meantime or do some more work on the components?
Thanks for all the detailed posts with photos and all. It's like an Assembly Manual come to life.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: igottajob2 ()
Date: August 31, 2017 05:59AM

This thread is very impressive. Can't wait to see it painted! smileys with beer

Minneapolis,MN

1965 500 Coupe
95HP

Built the 1st week of April of 65 at willow run.
500 coupe. The only factory accessory is a rear antenna.
White with a red interior.
Now black with black and red interior.

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: August 31, 2017 06:26AM

Vairy nice Steve!

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Date: September 03, 2017 05:42PM

Well, yes, this is not the Firebrier...

... it's our '61 8-door GB being towed back to the storage facility, to where is has been displaced from our one-car garage by the Firebrier.

With the Firebrier now at the body shop, I was looking forward to bringing it home to do some minor repairs and tune up-ing. But a half-mile down the road it conked out. I quickly determined that the fuel pump had failed - not too difficult, it was squirting gas from the side. This should have been easily resolved since I have a spare fuel pump ...which I suddenly realized had been installed in the Firebrier, now locked up in the aforementioned body shop -- UGHHH! Triple-A was the fall-back solution.

Order is in for a new fuel pump and spare from Clarks.

Steve

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 03, 2017 06:07PM

Never fails!!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: September 04, 2017 06:38AM

But sometimes does!!

Current Page: 17 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.