home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 16 of 16
Re: FC Fire Dept Truck Restoration
Posted by: grubin ()
Date: May 16, 2017 12:29PM

Question. What size tire and wide white did you get and where. Thanks. Gary

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: May 16, 2017 01:31PM

Hi Gary,
I mis-wrote above: I bought Coker whitewalls (not Cooper), specifically 195/75R14 Coker Classic with 2 1/4" Whitewall. The truck shipper for the Firebrier didn't specify a tire size, and I considered 205/75R14, but I've used 195s on my other Greenbrier and like the riding height, etc., so went with those.
Steve

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: May 16, 2017 03:39PM

Steve. Your sand box for body work is a super trick. I use a sandbag for the same method.
The sand absorbs the hammer blows and does not allow the metal to so easily distort. I have had someone on the outside hold the sandbag against a low dent or damaged area. Working the metal out is more precise this way.

Again, your work is quite detailed and really admirable.thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Corventure Dave

Posted by: Joe West ()
Date: May 22, 2017 02:53PM

Holy Smoke! This project has come a long way since I last checked it. Awesome work Steve!

1964 Spyder Convertible, Laurinburg North Carolina
Restoration Website: [www.corvairspyder.com]

Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: May 22, 2017 08:03PM

Thanks Joe!

Here's another repair I made while awaiting parts to repair the clutch (see this thread). The passenger side door pillar had the usual rot around the upper hinge opening. Here's a series of pictures showing the repair:

1- original condition - serious rust up almost to the hinge opening. Equally bad on other side as well.
2- I did the cut-off along the top of the hinge opening - a reasonably reliable landmark for cutting the replacement. I was much relieved to find that rot was only "skin deep", and the subtending metal layer had only surface rust. When I did a similar repair on my 61 GB, everything was rotted, necessitating a much more complicated repair.
3- after cleaning off as much rust as possible, the underlying metal was prepped and painted with POR-15.
4 & 5 - and the replacement piece was welded in, welds cleaned up and then given a temp coat of primer.

The replacement piece was cut from a body section I got from the Corvair Ranch.

1- The pillar skin & support metal were roughly cut first.
2- Normally, the skin would be removed with a spot-weld cutter; but I didn't want to cause that much damage to this relatively small piece. So instead I carefully ground away the spot-welds from the back side, a time consuming process to avoid grinding into the skin layer.
3- Here's the replacement freed up from the sub-metal. Definitely not from a west-coast vehicle. After stripping the paint, it became apparent that rust in a few places would necessitate metal replacement. Eventually several small holes were drilled along the sides for plug welding to the door pillar, and the inside was treated with POR-15.

Steve

Posted by: igottajob2 ()
Date: May 23, 2017 11:52AM

Again, I am amazed by your work! Well done! smileys with beer

Minneapolis,MN

1965 500 Coupe
95HP

Built the 1st week of April of 65 at willow run.
500 coupe. The only factory accessory is a rear antenna.
White with a red interior.
Now black with black and red interior.

Current Page: 16 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.