home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 15 of 20
Re: FC Fire Dept Truck Restoration
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: March 15, 2017 07:32PM

A question Steve on the LCI generator band. How is it attached for access to the brushes? Is there a small machine screw or some type of clip or?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: March 15, 2017 08:14PM

Tim, the ends of the band have an integral clip that snaps together and hold the band tight.

Attachments:
Posted by: cad-kid ()
Date: March 16, 2017 02:59PM

That generator looks awesomethumbs up Great information about what LCI is, thanks.

Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
CORSA Member#031129
SOLD-9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
My YouTube page yawning smiley

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: March 16, 2017 03:19PM

It looks like a snap clip over a roll pin and the band encompasses the generator. Snap clip looks like it is riveted onto one end of the band far enough back to ensure band encloses entire circumference of the generator when locked in place.

Unsnap the snap clip and take it off.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe, 180 hp 4 Spd
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2015 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Date: March 16, 2017 03:32PM

Al, Yes that is an excellent description.
Steve

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: March 16, 2017 03:55PM

I had seen them before on my dad's Chevys.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe, 180 hp 4 Spd
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2015 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Date: March 18, 2017 10:08PM

Just to be able to say that reassembly has begun... I reinstalled some clips/retainers!!

I'm glad I had thoroughly photographed the undercarriage because it was immediately clear where the clips were located originally, and indeed, the photographs show that there are more holes than clips.

I guess some of the extraneous holes were for other configurations. The assembly manual is helpful also.

It does not always show exactly into which holes the clips were placed, but has some details that were not apparent from my original photographs, such as that on the opposite side, the heater cables are held in a loop-type fastener in the forward position.

Which brings up an important point (for me at least) - on the repop clips that are available, the part that inserts into the hole is designed differently than the originals, and that some of the original double retainers had either two equal sized clips (for two heater cables) or two different size clips, and the smaller size clip was for a brake line.

Steve

Posted by: gerg ()
Date: March 19, 2017 03:02PM

Got the cable floor grommet - man you do fine work!!! Thanks.

Now we are gonna need you to kick some FC floor mats out smoking smiley

gerg
Monroe, LA

1965 500 Coupe, 140hp / PG, Brown EFI - work in progress
1962 Rampside, 110Hp, factory 4 speed & 3.89 posi

Current cars and other fun stuff -> [gregblakeney.smugmug.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2017 03:03PM by gerg.

Date: March 31, 2017 06:18PM

Thanks Greg, glad you like the grommet.

Finally finished the load floor of the Firebrier; straight forward but a lot of elbow grease. As it arrived there was some serious rust and pitting, apparent after the paint was stripped, particularly on the left side.

One small area needed to be replaced, but everything else was restorable. Filler could be used to cover the rust pits, but I decided high build primer would be better.

The surface was first thoroughly wire wheel brushed to remove as much rust as possible, and then prepped for POR-15. Here it is after the phosphoric acid treatment. All the floor bolts were removed and the holes plugged.

The rusted areas were then painted with POR-15. When the POR-15 was not yet fully cured, the floor was primed with epoxy and then 2k high build primer. After the primer cured, the surface was sanded. Here's the surface after the first sanding.

3-4 rounds of the high build primer and sanding were required to hide the rust pitting and yield a smooth surface. Here's with the final coat of primer.

The finish paint is several coats of acrylic enamel matching the stock color.

I try not to obsess over minor imperfections, but fortunately after curing acrylic enamel can be carefully sanded and repolished to fix problem spots.

Steve

Posted by: vwbusman66 ()
Date: March 31, 2017 06:33PM

This thing is going to put my next build to shame Steve.

Absolutely stunning and inspirational work.

-------------
James Keller
Kingsville, MD (21087)
Currently Corvair-less but on the hunt

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: April 01, 2017 07:04AM

beautiful work!

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Date: April 12, 2017 04:35AM

After seeking help in some other threads, the steering box is ready to go. I suppose this was the last mechanical unit to be disassembled, but I was cautiously optimistic, since the Firebrier only has 15K miles on the odometer and the steering wheel seemed to turn smoothly. So, first, off with the pitman arm
:

and then removal of the side cover to look inside.

Well, not too bad. Much of the lube had coagulated into semi-solid chunks, but the gears, etc., were still oily. Here's everything cleaned up. Hint: avoid dropping balls on floor and wasting time searching for them.

I did not see any pitting or serious wear to the worm shaft, sector gear, balls, races, or bushings, so all were reused. After doing some research in previous threads and other sources, I opted to lube with "00" gear box grease. Reassembly was done following the instructions in the article Taming the Wild Steering Box Rebuild.

Here's my setup to make adjustments:

I acquired at a great price a 0 - 3.5 Newton meter (0 - 30 inch lb) torque wrench, and made an adapter so that it could be affixed to the steering shaft above the steering wheel. Having the steering wheel attached allowed easy large scale rotation, and pulling on the wrench allowed measurement of the drag. First, the worm gear adjuster nut was tightened, setting the preload on the worm shaft bearings to ~ 0.8 NM (7 inch lb), then the adjuster screw was tightened until the high point lash was 1.5 NM (13 inch lb). Others are welcome to borrow this torque wrench, which can be used to adjust the steering box even while still in vehicle.

Concerning finishing, the box and cover were primed and painted with Eastwood Spray Gray (cast iron), although the worm gear adjusting nut was originally a brighter steel color and so painted with Eastwood Detail Gray. Although I have seen the steering column jacket repainted black in many FCs, the original color matched the floor, so that was used here.

Steve

Posted by: igottajob2 ()
Date: April 12, 2017 08:38AM

AMAZING work! smileys with beer

Minneapolis,MN

1965 500 Coupe
95HP

Built the 1st week of April of 65 at willow run.
500 coupe. The only factory accessory is a rear antenna.
White with a red interior.
Now black with black and red interior.

Date: April 12, 2017 07:59PM

Will soon be installing heater duct work, which is easier to do before installing the front and rear crossmembers and suspension. I had previously reported on restoration of the blower box and heater distributor boxes, I have since cleaned up the rest of the duct work.

Here's the "big picture" - click on the image to open a high res copy

Almost the entire heater system is laid out. One reason I did this was to make sure I had all the gaskets and seals needed (which I numbered). I obtained a few NOS replacements, saved a few good originals, and cut a couple myself from 3/16" foam rubber; I'm lacking only one (#6 in the image is torn).

Like most everything attached to the undercarriage, the heater ducts were coated on the bottom with undercoating.

This could not be aggressively removed with heat (or dry ice) that might damage the thin plastic walls of the ducts. So I rigged up ways to soak each duct in diesel fuel to dissolve or soften the "tar", which could then be brushed or scraped off. The result was excellent, and the ducts were found to be fully intact and undamaged.

The metal fittings attached to the ducts were all stripped, derusted as needed and then primed and painted.

Likewise, so were all of the nuts, bolts, etc.

All ready now to be reinstalled

Steve

Date: April 13, 2017 07:58AM

Your attention to detail is amazing! smileys with beer

Minneapolis,MN

1965 500 Coupe
95HP

Date: April 22, 2017 06:47PM

Progress and assorted side projects. I like to have several "irons in the fire", working on whatever suits my mood at any particular time. And it certainly has been a good time for some Spring cleaning; no, really, cleaning springs

Even though many of the control cable springs looked horrible, they were all found to be solid once cleaned up. Saving the stock springs is really desirable since the replacements available do not always match the GM originals. I made the jig shown in the image to spread the springs, and they were derusted with a wire-wheel, soaked for several hours in phosphoric acid metal prep and wire wheeled again to remove internal rust, and then primed and painted.

Here's the gas tank before and after restoration:

No, that's a lie. It's a new tank and sender from Clarks.

And the tank, control cables, brake lines, front suspension, heater ducting, etc., have been reinstalled. Steering is still underway.

Spent a lot of time looking at photos of the undercarriage as it arrived and the assembly manual to assure all cables and clips were in correct positions. In a few cases, where the vehicle differed from the assembly manual, I restored to how the vehicle was assembled.

An interesting case like this was the engine compartment lids. Here's the top and bottoms after restoration.

Both are painted the floor Charcoal gray on top and undercarriage brown below. As described in the assembly manual, undercoating was used as an adhesive to bind the fiberglass heat insulation. The assembly manual does not show insulation on the transmission/differential lid, but it was there in the Firebrier (and one more place where undercoating needed to be removed), so I reinstalled it there as well. The inset shows the replacement insulation (DMT Universal Under Hood Insulation), which is an excellent repro of the original: 1/2" of loose black/gray fiberglass with smooth black, tighter woven, layer on one side. This may be the same as what Clarks carries, but I'm not sure.

And finally, side door scuff plates.

Originally, they looked horrible, surfaces entirely rested. But after electrolytically derusting and wire-wheel cleaning, they turned out to be in excellent shape. The very end of one needed some of the metal replaced and some pitting needed to covered with All-metal filler, but the end result looks great; primed and painted with Rustoluem Matte Nickel.

Steve

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 22, 2017 07:14PM

Great detail work!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: April 26, 2017 11:27AM

I am always in awe of this thread. Top notch work.

Minneapolis,MN

1965 500 Coupe
95HP

Date: May 15, 2017 07:21PM

Been a while since last post, and lots of progress has been made.

On and off I've been working on the lower front corner body pieces, which were in pretty rough shape

Serious impact damage on both sides and enough rust in a few places to warrant new metal. Doing metal work on pieces like this is a pain - it's hard to hold the parts and also position a dolly and hammer; and there are a lot curves! I find the easiest way to do the rough metal work is in a sand box...

... simply a wide container (tupperware) filled with sand with a cloth cover. The metal reshapes by hammering the damaged areas into the sand, which acts like a big dolly.

Obviously it still takes judicious use of the hammer. After roughing the parts, a lot of additional metal work is needed to prep for priming.

Here they are stripped to bare metal and ready for epoxy priming, which has been done. Multiple coats of high build primer and sanding will be used restore the final contours.

The wheels have been refinished. Original 1963 rims, a couple in excellent condition, although most were electronically derusted and then blasted; but I still was not satisfied that all rust was removed, so four of the wheels were painted first with POR-15...

... and then epoxy primed. Interiors of the rims were painted gloss black, and the exterior is white - as shown in the vintage photos of the Firebrier. I would love to find some NOS 1963 14" wheel covers. (Got any?)

A "dry assembly" of the engine was done - putting on all the shrouds and ancillary parts to make sure everything is accounted for; and almost everything was. Here we see the engine with the powder-coated shrouding and repainted air canister and oil bath assemblies.

The beautifully rebuilt LCI generator is mounted (This also requires a hard-to-find regulator, which was secured). That's the original pre-oil bath hose, which has not been repopped and which I hope to clean better. I restored the original tower-style hose clamps, which will be used on all hoses in the Firebrier.

The engine will be "fired-up" after installation, so I refinished most of the Firebrier interior.

The interior panels have been painted separately. There was a learning curve in applying that metallic fawn-poly with acceptable results.

Much thanks to my brother John who visited last week and helped install the powertrain.

All went well. The engine compartment is painted the original charcoal gray, whereas the forward compartment is the undercarriage paint. The air intake assembly is removed to allow adjustments during the initial start-up.

You can click here to see a video of the initial start-up. Carbs were primed with some aerosoled gasoline a few times before it fired up, and the video shows start-up and later shut-down after running about 30 minutes. I had to tightened a small gas leak and adjust the timing several times before locking the distributor in place. Thanks again to Ken Hand for the excellent powertrain rebuild and Steve Goodman for rebuild of stock carbs.

Oh, the Firebrier is back on the ground - on 4 Cooper wide white walls matching the originals.

Steve

Date: May 16, 2017 06:53AM

This is such impressive work. Well done! smileys with beer

Minneapolis,MN

1965 500 Coupe
95HP

Current Page: 15 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.