Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 10 of 27
Re: FC Fire Dept Truck Restoration
Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: October 26, 2016 08:56PM

Most of the heater ducts were made of a resin fiberglass, which fifty years later has become brittle, with edges broken or cracked. Overall the Firebrier ducting is in good shape, though dirty, showing evidence of rodent nesting, and, of course, covered with undercoating.

The rear upper duct needed some work, and after everything was thoroughly cleaned restoration was done.

The box had a felt lining which almost always is deteriorated. Clarks, sells a replacement, but the duct top and bottom must be separated to apply it. This can be done after removing several "U'-nuts and drilling out the rivets, a precarious undertaking due to the fragility of the fiberglass. My duct separated well, but in several locations (such as shown in the image inset) the fiberglass along the edges had broken off and needed to be repaired.

I patched damaged areas with epoxy impregnated Kerdi membrane.

I had the Kerdi membrane left over from a bathroom shower installation. (I have enough for 100 heater ducts, so if you want some let me know.) This is excellent for this application because it is stiff enough to span a gap even when impregnated with epoxy. I used Devcon epoxy, though most any type would probably work.

Normally, I simply colored the membrane black with a felt marker before installing, but left it uncolored here to show the pieces.

The edges around the hole to be patched were ground down slightly with a dremel tool to assure secure bonding and allow for a level surface. After applying the first piece on one side of the fiberglass and allowing to cure, several additional epoxy impregnated pieces were used to build up the needed thickness, using shorter pieces to recreate the recesses for U-nuts, where necessary. After everything hardens, some sanding and filing finishes the job. Top and bottom of a finished patch is shown on the right side.

The instructions for installing the replacement felt are provided by Clarks. Pretty simple, cut to size and glue in place.

The glue provided appears to be standard contact cement. The original screws are not needed, but I installed them anyway - though it is difficult to get them through the felt.

I considered re-rivetting the duct, but could not find an exact match for the original rosette rivets, and feared inflicting damage to the fiberglass when compressing them.

So I opted for Chicago screws that fit into matching threaded inserts and look very similar to rivets. I redrilled the holes slightly larger, at 13/64. Made of aluminum, these screws will not rust.

Here's the restored duct, still needing replacment U-nuts
In their instructions, Clarks suggests caulking between the the top and bottom halves. I opted not to; the unit fit back together pretty well, and I feared that caulked together, the duct might never come apart without breaking. I wanted to make sure that this duct could be restored again in 2066.
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 26, 2016 09:20PM

Details!!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: ROD ()
Date: October 26, 2016 10:41PM

Great posts ! Keep up the good work !

Rod Tetrault
El Cajon , CA
65 Corsa Yenko Clone / 65 Corsa EO Creampuff Vert
66 Corsa "JIMISH" Mid engine Turbo LS1 currently 2nd fastest Corvair in the USA
Class 5 Corvair powered Baja
61 Vintage Rampy
Corvair powered Buggy x 3
Enough hidden parts to build a space ship

Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: October 26, 2016 10:52PM

Holy Hanna! Great work!

Posted by: Pedigo ()
Date: October 26, 2016 10:54PM

Kill it,Steve.thumbs up

Posted by: cad-kid ()
Date: November 01, 2016 07:13AM

Nice work on the ducts. I like the Chicago screw idea thumbs up

Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
CORSA Member#031129
SOLD-9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
My YouTube page yawning smiley

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: November 01, 2016 11:27AM

Chicago Screws. I like that. When I order these from McMaster Carr, they list these as Sex Screws! Really!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
I always get a odd comment from their female phone representatives. I just tell them to look at page 3074 - 3076 in the #120 catalog!

Corventure Dave

Posted by: larry202br ()
Date: November 01, 2016 12:32PM

Excellent work! I've seen Chicago screws, but never knew what they were called. Good idea.

1961 rampside with a 65 / 67 110 engine, car four speed.
Now I have 1965 convertible as well, got it running in June, autocrossed in July 2016 at the convention!

KC0SKX
Olathe, ks
HACOA

Date: November 06, 2016 02:03PM

A progress report on undercoating removal.
As you may recall, the Firebrier was well protected with undercoating. As best I can tell, it was undercoated at both the factory and dealership.

So far, the undercoating has been cleared from the back half of the van, up to the cross sill behind the gas tank, and the metal prepped for painting.

Another view

After removing the undercoating as previously described, the surfaces were washed and scrubbed with POR-15 Marine Clean degreaser, rinsed and wiped down. Next POR-15 Metal Prep was applied, which further cleans and etches the surface. The metal was rinsed again and allowed to dry. Metal prep also leaves a protective phosphate layer, and I found that places where this didn't form needed further cleaning, not an uncommon problem in nooks and crannies of the rocker panel outrigger areas. Wire brushing with 100% isopropyl alcohol worked very well for this touch up work, since it evaporates with no residue.

Removing and cleaning the body bolts separately helped.

Here's the upper realm of one of the wheel wells.

And the powertrain compartments

Any areas with surface rust have been spot painted with POR-15. Darn good stuff, but needs to be lightly sanded before applying paint. Of course the silver lining of an abundance of undercoating is that there is not much rust. However, I will need to come back later to repair some damaged areas.

Next steps will be to epoxy prime and paint.
Steve

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: November 07, 2016 04:29PM

Great work!thumbs up
The only problem is.... My arms and shoulders are aching just looking at all the work you have done under there!eye popping smiley

So much farther ahead of the game with rust free or nearly rust free.

smileys with beer

Corventure Dave

Date: November 07, 2016 09:35PM

Further repairs on the heater ducts was necessary. After cleaning the dirt, grease and mud wasp nests off the front heater duct, it was found to be seriously cracked

I suspect these are stress fractures due to warping with age of the air entry opening.

After drilling out the rivets the repairs were made using epoxy impregnated Kerdi membrane as described above.

The repairs were made leaving the opening warped, which was necessary so that it will nest with the preceding duct, which is also warped (but not cracked).

FYI: The felt that Clarks provides for the rear duct is a perfect match for that on the flapper door of this duct, and I used it for that purpose. The original felt was glued and stapled; I used Clark's contact cement adhesive but did not replace the staples.

The repaired duct, reassembled with Chicago screws:

Steve

Date: November 08, 2016 04:34AM

Good info on the por15 application process. I love this thread smileys with beer

Jeremy (cad-kid)
CORSA Member#031129
My 65 Monza thread

Posted by: igottajob2 ()
Date: November 08, 2016 05:12AM

Amazing work! smileys with beer

Minneapolis,MN

1965 500 Coupe
95HP

Built the 1st week of April of 65 at willow run.
500 coupe. The only factory accessory is a rear antenna.
White with a red interior.
Now black with black and red interior.

Date: November 20, 2016 08:40PM

First finish paint has been applied to right and left rear fender compartments – the left side battery compartment and right side space above muffler. I decided to complete these areas before repainting the surrounding parts of the undercarriage since some repairs were needed on the left side, and these compartments are easily masked off when painting the engine compartment. Some repair is needed to the front edge of battery compartment opening, but I can do that later also by masking the lower parts.

Both areas were partially coated with undercoating; these are annoyingly tight spaces to work in! After stripping it to metal, the battery compartment had more rust than expected (and when isn’t this space rusty?), and patches were needed in several areas. Here's some of the metal removed, other areas needed to go as well.

Rot found on the fender splash gaurd, and the lower edge of the wheel opening moulding.

Patches were cut from 20 Ga steel, which are always edge (butt) welded. Cutting patches to fit correctly takes careful work,

and fabricating curved areas, like the bottom of the wheel well opening, more so.

And more challenging yet is welding these to old metal without blowing holes. But with lots of time all can be done.

Most of the rust was on the inside lower surface. Some pitting, but most of the metal was solid, except where I placed the patches. I decided to treat with POR-15 rather than replace the whole panel.

All loose rust was power wire brushed off, and the surface was scrubbed clean with POR-15 degreaser and then treated with Metal Prep, before applying two coats of POR-15.

The lack of head space makes painting inside these areas (as well as the undercarriage) with a gravity feed spray gun tricky. My solution is shown here.

I jerry-rigged the plumbing, and hang the can above the work area. The paint supply feeds the gun through a hose, allowing the gun to be held in any orientation, even upside down. Here’s a shot of the right side compartment with epoxy primer.

POR-15 must be painted before it cures; if allowed to fully cure, POR-15 must be sanded before repainting. I prefer not to have to sand, so I waited until the POR-15 was tacky to the touch, but without leaving any paint on the finger (about 3 hours). At this point the second POR-15 coat was applied, and after waiting again, then the epoxy primer was applied.

And the compartments with the final paint, shot about an hour after applying the epoxy primer.

The undercarriage of the Firebrier was painted a dark chocolate matte brown, which I had matched as closely as possible at the local paint shop. The color was only available in PPG Concept formulation; this is really expensive paint but applies really easily.

Here is a test fitting of the fender weatherstrip

As best as I know, the original fender seal is no longer available. This is a close match (Soft Seal 9347), although the bulb is smaller than the original. The original seal was stapled in place; it would be really hard to repro that here, so I will use weatherstrip cement to secure it.

The battery tray needed some work. One of the sides had been pulled outward, undoubtedly to accommodate a bigger battery.

To facilitate straightening, I decided to remove one of the sides … no, that’s untrue… one of the sides loosened up and was easily removed, which made the repair easier. Here's the tray stripped and ready for finishing

Holes are drilled in the sidepiece to allow rewelding to the tray. Here’s the tray after priming and painting.

Steve

Date: November 21, 2016 08:38AM

Truly amazing work! smileys with beer

Minneapolis,MN

1965 500 Coupe
95HP

Date: November 21, 2016 05:39PM

Back on August 21 I reported concerns about the bent undercarriage. The bends were found in the right and left side rear outrigger sills, that extend in front of the rear wheel wells. It's likely that the bends were the result of careless towing.

Here's the left side

and the right side

Consensus appeared to suggest that this wasn't a big problem, But I asked my body shop guy to visit and take a look. He also felt it was not serious and thought it could be fixed. And so, with torch, mallets, metal working hammers and dollies I went at it.

It took about an hour for each side, aligning the edges to a straight edge, and carefully working the 'dimples' flat again.

Here's the end results for the left side

and the right side

During the repair I noticed that the bottom of the outrigger sills had pulled away from the side rails, suggesting that the problem arose because the outrigger arms were not spot welded, or the spot welds failed, in the positions circled in the first diagram. I am going to add welds to secure the structure.

Steve

Date: November 21, 2016 06:07PM

And here's another side project (and an inspiration for Al with his recent acquisition of a FC jack). I purchased this jack from John Sweet on ebay, It was in good condition but with a lot of surface rust.

I first degreased it and then treated it overnight in my electrolytic deruster. Finish work was done with a wire brush wheel, and blasting rust in nooks and crannies. I painted it SEM etching primer and then Blitz Black.

Here's the end result.

However, I'm still in the market for a handle. Does anyone have one for sale?
Steve

Date: November 22, 2016 06:06AM

Gotta love Blitz Black!Thats what I painted my car with. Well done sir! amazing work.

Minneapolis,MN

1965 500 Coupe
95HP

Attachments:
Posted by: glivorsi ()
Date: November 22, 2016 06:58AM

This is favorite thread on here! You're putting in more attention to detail than GM ever did. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished project, but I'm enjoying your work even more than that.

Greg in Wildwood, MO (part of the St. Louis urban sprawl)

1965 Monza Vert 110PG, Crocus Yellow with black interior and top

2014 Honda Accord V6 (DD)
2017 Honda Pilot (wifemobile)
2012 Chevy Sonic 1.8L (kid's car)
1997 Honda CBR1100XX
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 (no longer own)

Date: November 22, 2016 07:19AM

Excellent work! Even though my Vair is gone, I come back from time to time just for this threadthumbs up

Jeremy (cad-kid)
CORSA Member#031129
My 65 Monza thread

Current Page: 10 of 27

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.