Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 23 of 27
Re: FC Fire Dept Truck Restoration
Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: March 09, 2018 07:36AM

Also, in 1964 the shift points were eliminated and a 100mph speedo was installed.

Corventure Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: March 11, 2018 06:52PM

This hopefully should be the week the Firebrier comes home. Repainting of the door edges is almost done, and just a few items left to paint (cab front corners, engine grill, steering wheel, misc small items). The plan is to paint the steering wheel to match the dash (as it should) but to flatten the paint.

Meanwhile, another item checked off the to-do list. The horn, provided by Eric Prosise, is refinished, and I thought I'd show pics of each step.

The original condition was mixed - the front was pretty good, still had original paint, but the back side and bracket had a lot of surface rust.

Its a tricky item to strip, with all those contours, crevices, nooks, etc. I started with aircraft stripper, then several rounds of blasting and wire wheel work. But eventually, I got it down to bare metal. The throat was sealed with a wad of cloth, and the inside of the horn trumpet (mouth) was stripped as well.

After wiping down with degreaser and then propanol, the horn was primed with several coats of self-etching primer. And then finally, the finish coat was a gloss black enamel.

OK, another part ready to install - just need the Firebrier to install unto.
Steve

Posted by: igottajob2 ()
Date: March 12, 2018 04:33AM

Great work as always!! smileys with beer

Minneapolis,MN

1965 500 Coupe
95HP

Built the 1st week of April of 65 at willow run.
500 coupe. The only factory accessory is a rear antenna.
White with a red interior.
Now black with black and red interior.

Date: March 16, 2018 07:18PM

The Firebrier has returned home! I can only wish everyone has such a great place to have your Corvair painted.

The Firebrier arrived at the New Weihl Body Shop last August. Here's Rick (right, the proprietor) and his brother Gene, two great guys, who worked on the Firebrier, on and off, for almost 7 months.

There were a lot of issues and problems to be solved, the lettering being just one, a couple of threatened floods, and an occasional need to repaint something, and the final cost was the same as originally quoted. Gene doesn't believe I can complete the assembly without scratching something, and has offered to fix any such problems later.

Since I would have to go all the way to Parkersburg WV to rent a Uhaul trailer, Rick brought in his trailer to help bring the Firebrier home.

After some initial difficulties figuring out how to strap it down (Rick's trailer is somewhat short on hooks) we got it ratcheted adequately for the long, 1.5 mile trip across metro Marietta.

And here it is, before and after, in the garage.

So where to begin the reassembly? I'm thinking it might be best to get the headliner installed. I'm open to recommendations.
Steve

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 16, 2018 07:30PM

Better than new!!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: March 16, 2018 08:32PM

thumbs upthumbs up
Truly a Vairy nice van!

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: March 17, 2018 05:38AM

SteveInMarietta Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So where to begin the reassembly? I'm thinking it
> might be best to get the headliner installed. I'm
> open to recommendations.

My manual says "Assembly is the reverse of disassembly"! grinning smiley

Looking awesome!

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible
65 Monza 4DR 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T w/5-speed

Posted by: dolomitefan ()
Date: March 17, 2018 06:57AM

Not scratching something is a real challenge believe me.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Gibson, Staffordshire, England

1961 Corvair Greenbrier
1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint
2009 Mazda MX5
2015 BMW 1 Series

Posted by: cad-kid ()
Date: March 17, 2018 07:22PM

Most excellent! It's fun to follow along.

Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
CORSA Member#031129
SOLD-9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
My YouTube page yawning smiley

Date: March 20, 2018 09:24PM

So the headliner is on hold until I reinstall custom wiring to rear flashers, beacon light, antenna, etc., which will be run behind the roof crown molding. So I decided to get out of the way the dreaded reinstalling of the front door windows. I don’t know if there is an easy way to do this, but after two FCs, I haven’t discovered it. The diagrams of the assembly manual seem to be designed only to show where things attach, not the actual assembling sequence itself. Some steps must be done in a specific sequence, and I would really like to know how it was done originally on the assembly line.

At any rate, here is the process and steps that I have worked out; still not easy, and for me, required about 2 hrs per side. Pictures illustrate some key steps. My advice is to only loosely screw in bolts; and the do the final tightening later.

1. Fear of scratching the paint adds to the stress of installing the vent window, so I play it safe, and tape the edge and protect the outside paint against accidents.

2. Now’s a good time to peel back some of the paper and install the outside rear view mirror bracket (should your FC have one). This must be done before installing the vent window.

3. I already had the door latch mechanisms installed, so next the window regulator goes in; again, a must-do step before installing the vent.

4. Next is the vent, a truly grueling process. It must be worked behind a metal flap on the door inner skin and then forced into the upper track of the door, where it doesn’t want to go. All the while try to avoid scratching the paint, getting the rubber tucked correctly, and the whole thing positioned correctly.

5. And correct positioning means that all the screw holes need to line up. There are three through the upper door jamb which are particularly annoying. And the lower track extension will need to be aligned via hand from within the door - be sure to get those two lower screws in before inserting the window.

6. This is the last opportunity to install the outer fuzzy. If you forget to do this you will need to reinstall everything back to this point – trust me on this!

7. Installing the glass, the outer track and the channel liner is very tricky. I had installed original steel-backed channel liner when I had restored our 1961 GB, but now Clarks only sells the flexible rubber style. I was concerned about how this would install and appear, but it looks pretty good; however I have not actually cemented the liner to the track yet, should I decide I don't like it. At any rate, first install the window so that the forward edge is in the track attached to the vent window. Now insert the channel-liner in the removable rear bracket, and slide this all the way into the door alongside the glass as shown in Fig. 7.

8. Now feed the channel liner into the track above the window, and pull the window up into it. Now, metal bracket so that the window can be lowered back down into the channel. With some fussing, you can insert the two screws that hold the lower track to the door jamb. The liner may need to be adjusted at this point to straighten it.

9. After the liner is trued along the entire length of the track, the excess on the upper end can be trimmed off.

10. Now it’s just a matter of rolling up the window regulator so that the nylon roller can slipped into the sleeve that then bolts to the lower edge of the window. Tighten all the screws making sure that the window rolls up and down smoothly.

Steve

Date: March 20, 2018 09:51PM

Most likely they were done at work stations... I worked for a short while at Fischer in Fremont Ca. Doors came to the body line assembled on the cars there..

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: March 21, 2018 05:21AM

LOOKS AWESOME!!!! smileys with beer

Minneapolis,MN

1965 500 Coupe
95HP

Date: March 27, 2018 07:57PM

Here's a little piece of unobtainium I picked up a while back.

A NOS Delco Series 53 FC battery. Part number 556 is embossed on the side, but with a 557 label since it's a dry version (acid has not been added).

Here it is placed into the battery compartment. A test fit.

A test fit because things are not what they appear. The last thing I want to do to a NOS 557 battery is add acid; causing it to soon be just another used dead 556 battery. No this will be for show only. Hidden below is the real battery, a modern 51R.

It fits into a custom made frame made of perforated angle steel. You can also see a cut out in the frame to allow reinstalling the battery drain tube and grommet from the upper battery shelf. This is a preliminary version that was later modified with addition of steel straps under the battery

The frame is secured to two body panel bolts that stick up from the floor of the battery compartment floor. Placement is designed to make this battery as hidden as possible. The Firebrier also has cold weather air baffles on the sides of the engine compartment, and the left side baffle also helps obscure the 51R. Shown above is the positive battery terminal that has a twistable cut off switch. This way I can reach down and disconnect the battery without pulling out the upper battery.
The two batteries will be grounded to the body in the same place, and the two positive cables are linked together. Here is the custom battery cable "T" connector I made.

Three battery cable lug ends were soldered together, and crimped onto the battery cable. Then the whole thing was covered in rubber to insulate it. The location of the T-junction is also rather hidden.

The end result is the appearance of a functional series 53 battery but with power actually coming from the hidden 51R
Steve

Date: March 27, 2018 08:11PM

Trick!

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: March 27, 2018 08:20PM

We used to call that perforated angle steel: dexion.

Very clever ideas you are coming up with!

Will the constant application of voltage through the tee(s) have any detrimental effect on the 53 battery?

Kevin
Medina, OH

Date: March 27, 2018 08:31PM

To the best of my knowledge there is no effect on the Series 53. Without acid no current can flow from the terminals.
Steve

Date: March 28, 2018 04:54AM

Thats an awesome idea!!! Well done!smileys with beer

Minneapolis,MN

1965 500 Coupe
95HP

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: March 28, 2018 07:13AM

I was thinking..."Don't acid load that battery"!!!
Happy to see you are not. The 51R assembly is super!

Corventure Dave

Date: April 08, 2018 08:23PM

The 8-door Firebrier is once again an 11-window van. The stationary windows (Windshield, rear door and rear quarter-panel) were installed by a local company while the Firebrier was still at the body shop, and I reported on reassembly of the front door windows previously. The side door windows are now reassembled also.

When doing the first side door, I once again forgot to install the outer fuzzy before installing the glass, and had to disassemble everything. I also was reminded how difficult it is to distinguish the window crank mechanisms for the forward and rear side doors. I resorted to simply installing and seeing if the arm would position correctly when cranked up. I also lubricate all the mechanisms with white lithium grease before installing.

I'll reinstall the inside trim pieces later, after I install the outside handles and am when I sure I won't need to access the inside any more.

btw: If anyone is interested, I've reproduced the rear door outer bumpers:

To the best of my knowledge, these were used from 1961 - 63. The bumpers have an integral 5/16" x 1" bolt. In my '61 GB these simply bolt to the body panel, but in the Firebrier they are used to secure a wall bracket that connects to the rear inner panel on each side; as shown here at the time of disassembly.
I cannot find these brackets in any of the FC assembly manuals, and I wonder for how many years they were installed. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who knows about these. If present, they are connected with two bolts to the very rear of the inner panel.

Steve

Posted by: WhenIm64 ()
Date: April 11, 2018 01:29PM

Steve, those support brackets for the rear door bumpers were a running change, made at a point in production lost to my memory but for a purpose that I do remember clearly: It was demonstrated that an "aggressive" opening of the door would dent the body where the bumper is located. I remember the late Bob Kirkman, who worked on the production side of things, telling the story of the "suits" coming to the factory floor to see the problem, damaging several vans in the process of satisfying their curiosity.

WhyImWhenIm64

Current Page: 23 of 27

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.