home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 21 of 21
Re: FC Fire Dept Truck Restoration
Posted by: GWLee ()
Date: December 30, 2017 05:51AM

Steve have you considered using paint mask?

In the sign business I have I use it to cut Stencil's and then apply it to the painted surface. Paint the lettering or art work, then remove the paint mask. The good thing about it is the adhesive isn't as aggressive as what is on the vinyl, and it removes easily, without disturbing the paint it is applied on.

I bought it in a roll, just like the vinyl and cut it in my machine. Or hand cut with an exacto knife.

Good luck, but it sounds like you have a plan. Hopefully this time it works well.

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
In the Beautiful state of
North/East KY!

Not the best pic, but the only I had from then, 1997!

2016!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: December 30, 2017 06:03AM

Lee,
I'm open to all possibilities; can you provide a link or other information so that I read up on this?
Thanks,
Steve

Date: December 30, 2017 06:27AM

You indicated that the body shop guy has a system to cut vinyl. Just have him look in his book for vinyl and supplies. That is where I bought it.

Shouldn't be difficult for him to find.

I'll try and locate a link for it, just in case he hasn't seen it before.

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
North/East KY!

2016!

Date: December 30, 2017 06:33AM

OK; I get it now. Sounds like doing the same process as what he originally proposed, but instead of cutting and transferring the letters, letter masks are used (just as in my original plan). Yes, I'm sure he knows about this, and I'll ask him about using that approach.
Steve

Date: December 30, 2017 06:36AM

[www.uscutter.com]

Here is a link to one brand. There are many many choose from!

Just type in the search, "paint mask for signs" that should bring up a number.

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
North/East KY!

2016!

Date: January 03, 2018 05:56PM

So, we're getting back on track, the damaged paint and lettering on the side panel and most of the doors have been removed (all the way back to bare metal) and reprimed. The consensus view is that the first attempt failed because the base coat had not adequately cured (lettering had been applied after about 18 hours).

(somewhere under all that masking paper is a Greenbrier)

All the lettering is going to be redone by computer and the stencils prepared with a laser vinyl cutter. I put forth Lee's suggestion about using the masks rather than the vinyl letters, and it was agreed that this was a better idea. Better especially since we can use the original gold enamel paint, which is a good match of the original.

As you can see, Rick has achieved a good match to the original letter font; a little bolder. It's also a much cleaner cut than what I had obtained cutting them by hand.

Every precaution will be taken next time. The entire van will be painted with base coat and a single top coat, then lightly sanded before applying the vinyl.

Steve

Posted by: bbakerga ()
Date: January 03, 2018 08:50PM

Steve, I have a suggestion. I would strongly suggest NOT using a font. The original hand-painted letters look different than the font in that photo. I do a lot of graphic work and design stuff pretty often that is cut out of vinyl.

My suggestion is to scan all of your tracings and draw each letter exactly in a program like Adobe Illustrator (your guy may have it or something similar). After everything is drawn and sized accurately, it can be easily imported into his vinyl-cutting software, and cut. That way, you can reproduce the original hand-painted letters EXACTLY, instead of using a “similar” font.

The process sounds difficult, but it’s not that bad... certainly nothing compared to the work you have done on most of the parts you’ve restored already.

Date: January 03, 2018 09:26PM

Good Suggestion. I'll ask about the possibility tomorrow.
Steve

Date: January 04, 2018 02:50AM

Steve, I found a webpage for a Sign Artist in Columbus.

Here's another place in Dayton

Nothing beats real hand lettered work! I used to do this many years ago...

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2018 02:53AM by 1966-Corsa-GT-180.

Current Page: 21 of 21

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.