Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 28 of 28
Re: FC Fire Dept Truck Restoration
Posted by: 58binz ()
Date: May 18, 2020 09:28AM

Steve, I have a 61 8 door panel that I want to thoroughly restore. I just found your articles on here and realized you had sent me or someone in the club had sent me your article on the fresh air flap renovation. Can you tell me if the sheet metal around the roof on the inside comes off? If I unbolt every nut and bolt will it come off or do I also need to drill out spot welds. I have had the van for a few years now and am just now really starting to work on it. Any ideas you have would be greatly appreciated. Lyn

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: May 18, 2020 10:11AM

Lyn,
Are you referring to the inner crown molding piece around the perimeter of the roof? Maybe someone else can answer more knowledgeably since I have never tried to remove it, but to the best if my understanding, it is spot welded on. Out of curiosity, why do you want to remove it?
Steve

Re: FC Fire Dept Truck Restoration Purchase thru Completion
Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: May 18, 2020 12:40PM

Definitely welded in. However the front panel above the windshield can be removed, as I recall.

Corventure Dave

Date: May 19, 2020 07:52AM

Steve, thanks for responding. I would like to remove them because there is surface rust that should be taken care of. Did you document your restoration? If so is there a way I could see and study it.I am new to Corvairs but really appreciate them as I was a VW nut for 45 plus years. Any info you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Date: May 19, 2020 08:05AM

Thanks Dave. I took the front one off when I put a new rubber seal in the front window. Do you know any one who drilled out the spot welds? I am trying to find them all before I start drilling. Lyn

Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: May 19, 2020 08:44AM

Fortunately I've never had to deal with rust in that area. But if I did, and had only surface rust to remove, My first guess is that I'd use a rotary orbital sander with a flexible ~6" disk.

Steve

Date: May 20, 2020 07:49AM

Thanks for the info. I will give that a try. Lyn

Current Page: 28 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.