home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 1 of 15
FC Fire Dept Truck Restoration
Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: August 06, 2016 07:21PM

This remarkable story begins with someone sending to me on May 12, 2016, scans of several Corvair 95 window stickers and car shippers for my ECL decoding project (the originals have gone to Dave Newell). Among these was the car shipper (shown here) for a 1963 8-door Greenbrier sold to the Malden West Camp Fire Dept in Saugerties, NY . It was a very interesting FC, with an optional (but non-RPO) engine. Twelve days later, my good friend Ed Bittman emailed that he has spied several Corvair cars and FCs on Craigslist in a neighboring Florida city, which he soon visited and dutifully reported back the FC VINS and dataplate codes. Incredibly, one of them is the Malden West Camp Fire Dept truck! After some tough haggling with the owner, we decided to buy it. Ed made the initial purchase, and then sold it to me. I just had the van flat-bedded to Marietta, OH.

Although the van may have seen some challenging times, it is in exceptional condition, as you can see in the pictures, it still has the original paint and most of its service lights, having lost only the beacon light and siren. Only a couple of dents, essentially no undercarriage rust; it seems to be solid. There must have been a two-way radio originally, but that also is missing. The engine is in very rough shape, but more about that later.

This is the only extant Corvair 95 that I am aware of with an existing shipper or window sticker. A contact I have in Saugerties has provided some valuable backstory. A painting based upon a photograph of the van being presented to the Fire Dept still hangs in the fire house (see pic below), and shows some details of the original outfitting. The van serviced the community from 1963 to 1986 when it was decommissioned and sold. The NY inspection sticker on the window is dated 1995 and suggests that it remained road worthy until then. It was reportedly obtained from a junkyard sometime in the early 2000s, and then transported to Florida. If anyone knows anything about the history of this van, please let me know.

The odometer reads only 15882 miles.

The van was flatbedded from FL to Marietta, OH, about a 18 hour trip

We rendezvoused at around 10PM

After some tricky negotiations into a very tight alley, the van was winched into my garage. My other 8-door is feeling very depressed right now, having been relegated to a storage facility

This is the painting of the van when it was presented to the Fire Department.

These are the various codes

VIN: 3R126F113654 – a late June 1963 assembly in Flint, and delivered to the dealership in June; It was presented to the Fire Dept dated 9-4-63, presumably requiring 2.5 months to be outfitted for its Emergency Vehicle duties.

Paint code: 514 – solid Cardinal Red
Trim code: std – standard trim

The various codes indicate that the powertrain is original and unmodified (other than by the elements).

Engine code: TO614VD - an FC 102 HP engine assembled June 14. The 102 HP engine was never an RPO and not an ideal power-plant for the heavier FC, but obviously it could be a special order, and there have been other reports of 102HP engines in Corvair 95s.

Heads: 3813516 – 63 102 HP

Transmission : R0322 – 4 spd, though I’m not sure how this fully translates.

Differential: HL0304 – 3.89 positraction

Carburetors:70231002 E3A – 1963 102HP, first modification, May 63,

Distributor: 1110296 – 1963 super turbo air

Visually, the engine is in very rough shape, it is caked in silt and debris, and may have been inundated in a flood. Disassembly will show the actual state of affairs, but a cursory inspection shows dirt but little rust. The pre oil bath cleaner, listed in the car shipper, is still present.

The interior is in good shape. Originally there was a second bench seat, but that has been lost.

The plan is a full restoration back to the original condition when it was a serviceable emergency vehicle. I will be posting the story of the restoration as it precedes.

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2016 08:11AM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FC Fire Dept Truck Restoration
Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: August 06, 2016 07:34PM

Great save! Can't wait to see the progress!

Eric p
Dewitt, Ia

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 06, 2016 08:23PM

Now that's a worthwhile project! We await your updates!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..................................PG........................................................Turbo

Posted by: 2ragtops ()
Date: August 06, 2016 09:23PM

That is awesome good luck with it

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1966 Corsa Convert 180 wood wheel tele-column am-fm sport steering posi-traction
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown V8 mounted mid-body temporarily red lined for repair
House Springs, Missouri

Posted by: Pedigo ()
Date: August 06, 2016 09:26PM

Love it,Steve!

Colton/Shady Cove,Oregon
'61 Loadside
'62 8-door Corvan

Date: August 06, 2016 10:27PM

That is going to be some fun! Love the history and the documentation is remarkable - I've never seen one of those Shipper reports.
Looks like the painting is a hand tinted photograph. Some interesting details from day one, eh?
Looking forward to more photos and details.

Dan Davis - Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ 65 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn (my current driver!!)
~ 1964 Monza 'Vert ~ 65 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black int ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4
1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: August 07, 2016 07:03AM

Although completely different from each other and unrelated,the front service lights on the fire truck remind me of these wonky mirror arms found @ the Connell hoard.

Colton/Shady Cove,Oregon
'61 Loadside
'62 8-door Corvan

Attachments:

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: August 07, 2016 07:06AM

Steve,

The only FC's that had shippers and window stickers were Greenbriers, as they were considered station wagons, and not trucks. The other FC's, being trucks, never had them.

If you need a new window sticker made up, keep me in mind. My printer is down at the moment, but am working to get it back up, and relieve the backlog of stickers I have.

-Mark

Posted by: cad-kid ()
Date: August 07, 2016 11:11AM

Neat find!

Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
CORSA Member#031129
SOLD-9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
My YouTube page yawning smiley

Date: August 07, 2016 06:38PM

The Fire Dept FC engine has been partially disassembled, with all the upper components and the engine shrouds removed.

Many of the rubber components are in remarkable condition; the firewall heater duct seal is still soft and pliable. (If rear doors weren't being repainted, weatherstripping could be left in place.)

The battery cable is unusually stout. Was this necessary with the 35 Amp Generator?

Stripped down to the shrouds and vacuumed to remove as much silt and other aluvial deposits as possible.

With the top shroud removed, sediment underneath was revealed

All the shrouding is in excellent condition, including the engine weather strip retainers, which are often rusted. (But D**n, there's a lot screws securing the shrouding! Did the engineers intentionally use different size screws just to make finding the correct size socket so annoying?) While removing the shrouding I discovered this piece, located along the engine front edge. I've never seen this before, and at about 2 inches long, is it the smallest piece of shrouding ever made?

Here's the engine exposed and vacuumed clean (more or less).

Next steps will be to remove the oil pan and crankcase cover, examine the condition of the connecting rods, and then drop the powertrain. There is only a layer of greasy scum in the oil pan. The engine arrived with the spark plugs and the valve covers removed, and this has left the rocker arms, push rods, etc. well oxidized. I've been researching past Forum threads on removing rusted head nuts.

I'm hoping for the best for the crankcase and heads. Hurray for aluminum.

Steve

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: August 07, 2016 06:57PM

That battery cable isn't original. Somewhere you should find either a flasher, and a siren relay. There should also be a wire from the battery to the relay. Depending on the siren, it can be anything from a 4 gauge to a 10 gauge. Some even worked on a 12 gauge wire. There should also be either a floor switch for the siren, or the wire from the horn, should go to a double pole double throw toggle switch, and then off to the siren relay.

Date: August 07, 2016 07:17PM

There is an extra foot switch on both the driver and passenger sides of the cab. Here's the driver side. I assume they are for the siren.

And here is the wiring to the siren foot switch on the Driver side.

I have not yet traced the wiring yet to find the relays, etc. Thanks for info about what to look for.
Steve

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: August 07, 2016 08:21PM

That is too neat!!!! Cant wait to see progress on this as it continues. Enjoy!

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: August 07, 2016 08:23PM

Steve: I am looking at Vol 7 No 1 CORSA COMMUNIQUE. On the cover is 63 Corvan originally used by Oak Lawn, Ill. fire dept as a lighting truck. (caption from inside the magazine). It was owned then (1978 or so) by a member of CCE. Maybe someone in CCE reading this will remember the van.

Good luck in the research and restoration of yours.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: August 07, 2016 09:16PM

Typically the 'add on' Department items were done by the City/County shops that had access to the sources for the emergency equipment lights/sirens/radios/etc.
Consequently there will be little standardized info available, which makes it more fun!

Good luck with your quest for a truly functional bit of Emergency Service Equipment.

Look to local museums for help. We've got a few around here if you need any help....

Dan Davis - Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ 65 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn (my current driver!!)
~ 1964 Monza 'Vert ~ 65 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black int ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: August 08, 2016 02:56AM

Actually, there was a "standardized" method of installation that came with each piece of equipment, however, many times the installers just ignored that, and did it "their way". I remember learning why FDNY no longer uses mechanical sirens, with the exception of a few of the Rescue trucks. Apparently, some electrical genius hooked up a motor driven siren to the trucks electronics and killed the entire system.

The video below is Rescue 8, with a B&M Super Chief siren, which is the only manufactured siren using 100% US sourced parts.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 08, 2016 05:42AM

Dave Newell speaks to the L-62 FC 102hp in this issue of Corvan Antics.

Colton/Shady Cove,Oregon
'61 Loadside
'62 8-door Corvan

Attachments:

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: August 08, 2016 06:43AM

Great find Steve. Nice that it landed in your hands. We'll look forward to seeing it in Independence, MO next year!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer <-new title
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: campervair ()
Date: August 08, 2016 06:45AM

Does yours say fire /police above the windshield? I remember one for sale in NY like 10 years ago. Matt

Date: August 08, 2016 07:17AM

Pedigo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dave Newell speaks to the L-62 FC 102hp in this
> issue of Corvan Antics.
--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.corvair.org/chapters/corvanatics/files/newsletters/1987/15-3.pdf

Current Page: 1 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.