Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Electric Fuel Pump Wiring Diagram
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: August 06, 2016 09:02AM

As I am getting ready to relocate and correctly wire in the electric fuel pump on the Greenbrier, I decided I needed wiring suggestions from the forum members. I did a search on "electric fuel" and found 122 post in 11 years. Too much to go through, but I slogged through about 40 of them (working backwards).

I found the best info in the FAQs discussion
[corvaircenter.com]

And this one:
[corvaircenter.com]

From these I was able to work up a diagram that met my needs to safely use an electric pump. I had this reviewed by a coworker (electrician) and my friend Rick who added the fuses to the installation. The diagram is a modified one provided in the second link done by Bluebrier (Thank You, Bluebrier).

The attached diagram also provides a list of suggested parts for the installation.

I hope this installation meets approval of some members and help others in this installation. I am sure there can be different ways and parts based on an individual's needs and budget. The attached way can be slimmed down to pump, wire and switch, if needed.

If Matt Wishes to post this under the existing Electric Fuel Pump FAQ, it would join the best info together.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Electric Fuel Pump Wiring Diagram
Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: August 06, 2016 09:24AM

I like Davemotohead's technique of wiring it to the voltage regulator. Seems super simple and straightforward, no messing with oil pressure switches, etc and still will quit when the engine quits. A relay is nice but I don't think the pumps draw much. Or wire your relay trigger wire to the regulator.

Here's Dave's description from an old thread cut/pasted:

Ok I will Toss "my way" out there,I wire mine to the voltage regulator,there is a terminal on both the EM and the LM voltage regulators that is only "Hot" when the engine is running,I install a prime button under the dash to run the pump and fill the carbs when the car has been sitting for a while,wired this way the Pump only gets 12v when the engine is running,if in a crash and the engine stalls,the pump will stop with the key on,just like a OP switch,as an added safety feature,if your belt flies off and you do not notice,when the Gen/alt quits turning the pump shuts off so your car will konk out a few miles down the road before you burn up your engine! when this happends,you push the button hidden under the dash,fill the carbs and drive to the side of the road,fix your belt and drive home,,I have been told DAVE!!!! YOU CAN"T DO THAT!!! but 30 years of doing it I have never had a problem! Flame suit On! fire away!

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
Other fun stuff - Porsche 911 GT3 - Trailered track monster for HPDE and Autocross events.
Northern Colorado, USA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2016 09:24AM by Nickshu.

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: August 06, 2016 09:26AM

Where did you find your information on the oil pressure switch wiring? (I'm assuming it's the Vega switch)

In my understanding, the switch is not constructed to ground any of it's three terminals so the connection shown for the oil pressure light concerns me.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: August 06, 2016 09:27AM

Nick:

I guess I need to modify the drawing to state 3 wire alternator vehicles (no regulator).

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Date: August 06, 2016 09:31AM

Bluebrier's diagram listed in the second link is where that portion of the diagram came from. If it is wrong, it can be corrected.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Date: August 06, 2016 09:53AM

Craig:

Hers are two oil pressure switch circuit jpgs I got from the H-Body (Vega) website. Looks Like Bluebrier has the correct info.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Attachments:

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: August 06, 2016 11:05AM

I did not add a relay.
Just hot to an additional pressure switch to the pump. KISS.

The pre-pump filter on the airtex is less useful than the screen in the tank. It really does nothing unless the scree breaks. You can put a decent (metal) filter over the right rear shock.

Don't ever use plastic filters, especially in the engine compartment

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Date: August 06, 2016 11:19AM

I see how your diagram works now.

The left terminal in your diagram is the switch's common terminal. When there's no oil pressure, the common connects to your upper terminal. This connection allows the oil pressure lamp to ground through the relay coil. Should work fine.

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: August 06, 2016 11:25AM

Richard:

For the Greenbrier, I have no intention of pulling and inspecting the fuel tank. This vehicle had been on the road with no issues in 2014. Supposedly it has a leak, but I have not yet seen it leak with 3 gallons in it. That is a check for another day.

I feel if I do the following I should be good. I just need to do enough to get it safe for road operation.

1. Replace current pump and regulator with AirTex pump.
2. Move the pump close to the tank Ensure the pre-filter is there. Wire up as shown in diagram. No VR on Greenbrier.
3. Inspect main fuel line for damage and rust. Replace if necessary.
4. Install new filter prior to fuel line entering engine compartment.
5. Remove all rubber hoses and install new steel lines. Lines will be routed in front of carbs.
6. Change carb stone filters.
7. Use BG 44K Fuel System Cleaner to clean up system internally.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Date: August 06, 2016 11:29AM

Thank you, Craig. I do like the reviews. Here is the updated one with the voltage regulator option drawn in.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Attachments:
Posted by: Melb-Mike ()
Date: August 06, 2016 02:40PM

May I recommend you wire the priming switch to pull power before the inertia switch rather than after it. Reason being if the inertia switch were to fail open, you could prime your fuel lines to move the car off the road. Also, I installed a pilot light next to my priming switch to light up when the pump is running (has power) and likewise it indicates I have oil pressure.

64 Greenbrier
64 Spyder (needs restoration)
65 Corsa 140, restored
66 Corsa turbo, restoring now
66 Corsa 140 "RR" code coupe fully restored
67 Pontiac GTO restored
69 Corvette 427 convertible restored
2015 Porsche Panamera S
2015 Corvette Z06
1965 AC Cobra (Factory Five)

Date: August 06, 2016 02:58PM

Mike:

Very good suggestion. It will be amended to reflect your suggestion.

I was thinking of either a pressure switch which would turn out a light when fuel pressure is 2 psi or a light tied into the pump power wire to show pump has power. The light is the low cost mod. The pressure switch requires an adapter to fit it to the engine line coming into the compartment. Still thinking on this for my cars. Van will get a basic system right now.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Posted by: Melb-Mike ()
Date: August 06, 2016 03:37PM

AL, if you buy the oil pressure switch from Clark's, it has the fittings to have the original oil press switch as well as the safety switch for the fuel pump. It's not cheap but not out of line either.

I installed a small cheap pilot light on the same aluminum angle that I installed the momentary push button switch and hung it below the dash on my 66 Corsa. The PO of my Greenbrier installed it as well just right of the steering column. However, he installed two relays in the engine compartment to drive the pump, one from the oil pressure switch and one from the priming momentary switch. I'm going to rip out all that crap and simplify the wiring, no relay since none is needed. The pump only draws about 3 amps so why have a relay. I do believe in the inertia switch and the oil pressure switch. Wiring in the oil pressure switch is easy since the mechanical pump is not longer crowding up the space.

For whatever reason beyond my comprehension, the PO also installed a pump bypass line which returns some of the fuel back to the tank. To modulate the return, or to reduce the fuel pressure, he pinched the return line with a pair of pliers or vise grips. I will change that as well since it doesn't make much sense if you use the right pump. I feel like at 70+ mph the Greenbrier is running a little thin on fuel and from the fuel line bypass, I can see why it would.

64 Greenbrier
64 Spyder (needs restoration)
65 Corsa 140, restored
66 Corsa turbo, restoring now
66 Corsa 140 "RR" code coupe fully restored
67 Pontiac GTO restored
69 Corvette 427 convertible restored
2015 Porsche Panamera S
2015 Corvette Z06
1965 AC Cobra (Factory Five)

Date: August 06, 2016 04:02PM

Mike:

I appreciate the comments. I do have the Clarks kit for my Monza, which is yet to be put in. I bought a partial kit from a CCF member and will use that for the Greenbrier with my spare pump. I still like the simplicity of the PS64 switch. The relay I have to agree with others is that the relay keeps the pump amp load off the ignition switch. 50 year old switches can't take the additional loads that new accessories bring to them.

Here is the updated schematic.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Attachments:
Date: August 06, 2016 06:14PM

Mike wrote: "For whatever reason beyond my comprehension, the PO also installed a pump bypass line which returns some of the fuel back to the tank."

Craig replies: The usual reasons for a return line are: Circulation to reduce possibility of vapor lock and bleeding off fuel pressure after shut off. The latter can really help with hot restart. I think your PO was focused on the latter because of the way the line is pinched to a minimum. Spyders got a return line for this reason after problems in the early years.

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: BobWitt ()
Date: August 07, 2016 03:54AM

Al - I think Nick and Dave were saying that they pull from the Voltage Regulator and therefore DO NOT include the oil pressure switch.

Had I known this option I would likely have used it when I did mine! Failsafe for both loss of oil pressure AND loss of belt!

My $0.02

BobWitt - South East Michigan
Member: Corsa and DACC

1966 Corsa 140 - Follow my build On CorvairForum

Date: August 07, 2016 06:31AM

Bob:

Rick advised to incorporate with my fuel pump the PS64 switch. To protect the engine with the Vega oil pressure switch and keep my oil pressure light. It is a simple addition.

I kept thinking why couldn't I find a similar way like the VR connection to wire the alternator in on mine. So with this latest diagram I have added alternate connections for the coil and the internally regulated alternator. Anyone can pick any choice the options shown that they want to turn on and off the pump.

So now for the Greenbrier, I will have the following safety and protection circuits incorporated.

1. Accident - Impact switch trips and shuts off pump.
2. Belt loss - No power from Alternator. Still not sure why VR connection or my way would turn off pump.
3. Engine Oil pressure Loss - Oil pressure switch contact opens and turns off pump.
4. Relay to protect the 50 year old IGN1 contacts.

I only have to run 2 wires to the front to install the bypass switch. One wire from pump to battery box. Relay will be mounted in aft battery box with the 10 amp fuse. 1 amp fuse will be located wherever the wire was spliced for the internally regulated alternator.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Attachments:
Posted by: curt ()
Date: August 07, 2016 07:04AM

Ford cars had an 'impack switch' to shut power off to electric pumps. Any reason not to one of the Ford switches? I got one off a junked Ford. Easy to wire if one wants to use a manuel switch to turn power on an off.

Date: August 07, 2016 07:14AM

Nope. That is why I listed the Ford impact switch in the parts list.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: August 07, 2016 07:30AM

I see ONE MAJOR problem! eye popping smiley

Don't connect the "Ignition Switch +12 Volt" lead to EITHER of the Ignition Coil terminals!!sad smiley

The Ignition Coil "+" terminal is fed thru a "resistor" or a "resistance wire" so you don't see full +12, and current drawn through the Electric Pump will reduce the coil input voltage further and the engine won't run worth a damn!!!

The Ignition Coil "-" terminal goes to the points so connecting the Electric Pump will kill the ignition and it won't run at all!! confused smiley

Find the "switched +12 volts" at the Body Harness connector BEFORE it goes to the "resistance" (resistor or 'resistance wire') and it will work as drawn!

BTW, there is an "impact" (Ford Inertia Switch) switch shown in the diagram!

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.