Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Spyder Dash wiring questions
Posted by: Tom C ()
Date: February 23, 2005 01:28PM

My shop manuals haven't arrived yet, the speedo is broken on my '63 vert, and I've bought a working '63 spyder intrument cluster to replace the monza one. I have the cluster out and want to put the new one in.

For the tach, do both wires need to be run to the engine compartment, and to the coil? Or does one go to ground?

Do both wires for the head temperature gauge need to be run to the engine compartment?

I'm not going to hook up the vacuum gauge. Maybe I'll eventually replace it with a clock.

Also are there generic instrument bulbs that I can buy at the local auto parts store to replace one that has burned out?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spyder Dash wiring questions
Posted by: Larry Forman ()
Date: February 23, 2005 01:52PM

Hi Tom C,
For the tach one lead goes to 12 volts for the electronics and one to the coil negative. Only one lead goes to the temp gauge, AFAIK, without looking it up. Bulb swap info is in the CORSA Tech Guide. You can go to an auto parts store and check bulb voltages, socket sizes and wattage or current ratings. Get the brightest (highest current or wattage) for the same size bulb and operating voltage.
-- Larry

Posted by: David Clamp ()
Date: February 23, 2005 02:33PM

Doesn't the owners manual have bulb wattages? They'd all be 12V.

Posted by: Tom C ()
Date: March 09, 2005 06:14AM

Woo Hoo! I finally won an ebay auction for the '61 shop manual and '62/'63 supplement. Now since they are mailing it via slow boat from China (USPS), I need a wiring question answered.

I have the spyder dash installed. Everything hooked up except the temp gauge and the tach.

I know one wire for the tach is supposed to go to 12 volts positive, and one wire is supposed to go to the coil's negitave, but which one?

Looking at the back of the tach, I don't see any markings that will indicate which is which. If I were to guess, while looking at the back of the tach, the left would go to 12 volts positive, the right to the coils negative. Am I right?

Thanks,

Tom C

Posted by: Larry Forman ()
Date: March 09, 2005 01:17PM

Hi Tom,
While I can't look at one right now, I did check the early schematic and you should not be able to destroy one by wiring it up with the two inputs reversed, it just won't work right. So you could take your best shot and see if it works, and if not, reverse the input leads. You could also take an ohmmeter and measure the two inputs to ground (separately) and the one with the lowest resistance would be the 12 volt input.
HTH.
-- Larry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.