Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 18 of 18
Re: Setting Up 64 Greenbrier Deluxe For Road Use
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: August 20, 2020 10:24AM

Still waiting on Donna to be taken in for the test. So we agreed I could wait at home.

I removed screws and partially removed instrument panel. Installed left defroster duct. Reinstalled panel

Installed radio pod.

Troubleshot rear dome light. Found metal taps holding door switches closed. Slid tabs off and still no rear dome light illumination. Followed wire in left rear corner down into bay by battery. Found the end of a fuse holder. I guess the other end was removed when I cleaned up the wiring in the area. Put blue masking tape on wire identifying what wire is for.

3 remaining projects I had planned for the van will not be done. (Front air dam, back up lights and headlight relay system) It will be transferred as it currently is configured.

Al
Georgia

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: August 22, 2020 11:42AM

Got horn activation parts assembled per Marco's Instructions. Thank you Marco.

Pressed horn ring and I hear relay clicking but no horn blare. Changed relay and got same result. Put another horn on the horn wire and grounded it. Same issue. Thought I have a wire issue from relay to horn.

Hooked meter to horn wire to check for battery voltage. Pressed horn ring and got 12.5 volts. Relay & wiring good. Bad Greenbrier horn. It will be replaced.

The car horn I tested on the van was tested on a battery. It is failed. I gathered all my spare horns and tested them. I have 4 good high note horns and 2 good low note horns. I have 7 bad car horns and 1 bad FC horn going to scrap.

Installed high and low horns on the Greenbrier. Modified wiring to connect both horns. Connected horns and tested them. They sound off real good.

Al
Georgia

Date: September 05, 2020 05:45PM

Changed right hi beam bulb today. It had about 1 1/2 of water in it. No cracks so the seal between lens and rear reflector had to been failing.

Installed a T3 replacement and it lasted 2 minutes. Found one more (last one I have) and it worked for 5 minutes until I turned switch off.

Al
Georgia

Date: October 06, 2020 02:42AM

I was out yesterday with the Greenbrier and stopped by the local recycle yard. No, not to scrap the van.

I asked for a weighing of the van. With a 3/4 tank of fuel, the van weighs 3360 pounds. Without me in it. Thought it would be a good data point in case it was ever asked about.

Al
Georgia

Date: November 16, 2020 02:43PM

Fixed lighter circuit wire and added fuse to wire.

Added a fused power outlet to right side of radio pod.

Lubricated heat control cable.

Replaced heater fan switch.

Al
Georgia

Date: March 26, 2021 11:52AM

5 1/2 year old 51R battery in Greenbrier gave up on me this week. It was a O'Reillys 2 year Super Start battery.

Traded it in for another 2 tear warranty Super Start battery.

I was trying to get it out of the lean-to to give it a wash and prep for roof line sealant renewal. I will do sealant application next week now. Going back to Camaro to get more done on it.

Al
Georgia

Date: June 06, 2021 06:58AM

2 small issue cropped up with the Brier while on a drive Friday.

Dual horn setup I put on it last year lost its high tone. Going to remove both and install a 2018 Silverado horn set with new connector. %0 year old horns just don't last anymore.

The alternator that was rebuilt last year with the shimmed rear housing bushing has started squeaking again. I have located another Vair alternator rear housing and will swap it out.

I located a PG shifter filler piece for the instrument panel. Hopefully soon to pull instrument panel to install it, a replacement shifter legend and a good shifter switch where both sets of switches work. Current one switch backup light contacts have no continuity in any position. Part of the project to install backup lights on the van.

Al
Georgia

Attachments:

Date: June 06, 2021 07:07AM

Oh yes, 1400 miles on it since we put it back on the road April 2020. These are first issues since then. Getting 17 - 18 MPG driving 5 mph over, except freeway where 70 is best unless going down hill. Mostly roads used are 55 mph and lower. 80 hp engine.

Al
Georgia

Date: June 07, 2021 12:45PM

Picked up 2 LM OEM alternators today. Will disassemble both to get unique housings for my use.

Rest of parts will be scrapped. I will have to think of what to do with the fans, since they have some value.

Al
Georgia

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: June 07, 2021 12:46PM

You need all the parts to swap for a core.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 141 Corvairs and counting...

Date: June 07, 2021 01:01PM

My Greenbrier has a good alternator. Just the mount housing has a shimmed bushing. I will swap in a mount housing from one of these I picked up today. Not buying any 10SI alternator from FLAPS to get my Greenbrier back on the road.

Al
Georgia

Attachments:
Date: June 08, 2021 09:55AM

Applied belt dressing to fan belt. No change in squeak level.

Pulled belt off engine and started it up. Squeak is still there and seems to be at left head area. Squeak is louder with cold engine.

Pulled air cleaners off and started engine. Poured Marvel Mystery oil into carbs liberally. No change in squeak level, though smoke was coming up though left side of fan shroud and out tailpipe. Pulled left lower shroud and repeated MMO in left carb. Found only exhaust leak at left exhaust log to pipe connection. Will fix that later. Use stethoscope and squeak is at outboard side of left head.

Time to pull valve cover, crank engine and apply oil to exhaust valve stems. Worst case, I have an 80 hp head that can be used to replace head.

But I have a couple of spare alternators to make spare internally regulated 70 amp alternators.

Al
Georgia

Date: June 13, 2021 12:56PM

Removed both 50 year old horns and and installed the 2018 Silverado horn set. They sound great compared t the raspy set I took off.

Al
Georgia

Current Page: 18 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.