Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 13 of 17
Re: Setting Up 64 Greenbrier Deluxe For Road Use
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: April 02, 2020 05:03PM

Finished up front lines to the wheel cylinders and fittings tightened.

Ready for bleeding, which will occur on Monday.

Will work on electric fuel pump installation tomorrow.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: April 03, 2020 04:51PM

today, we installed the electric fuel pump on left frame rail The perquisite filter was mounted on the cross brace that the gas tank hanger straps bolts are located. The pump did not come with its own filter. We will work on lines next week.

Started routing of wires from dash to pump to engine compartment.

Donna look over the heater box left hot air inlet while helping me route the body harness back to the engine compartment. She showed me a handful of seat insulation she took out of the inlet. I informed it was a rat's nest and to gently discard it and get some gloves. We then took heater box out as it need cleaning. It was taken outside the area we were working.

The next 90 minutes, we removed ducting to see the extent of the problem. There is no intrusion into the engine since we installed lower shrouds and door system. There is no intrusion of the heater box blower fan. Probably because system was selected to fresh air instead of heat. The next mess area is located in the duct contained within the frame structure behind right front wheel. Belated we found out it can not be removed with the next forward duct in place. We are not removing the next forward duct as it may require more work to get it out and away from the suspension tower. We will use a squeegee type scraper to gently pull nest material out and rags soaked in bleach to clean duct.

Everything will be cleaned thoroughly before be reassembled and installed. I am glad she found it now, instead of when it was later when hoses was going on close to engine run time..

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Attachments:

Date: April 04, 2020 03:42PM

We got a bit done today. All removed heater ducting was hosed off, cleaned, disinfected and deodorized. Still have last piece of duct in van to do.

Electric fuel pump control circuitry wiring and parts almost done wiring from front to back is done, front switch mounted and wired relay control fuse wire into fuse box. Pump still needs wires connected from momentary switch and load side of relay. Inertia switch, control relay and power on pump feed wire indicator light mounted. These still have to be wired into the circuit.

I have to go to town to get a 45 degree fitting for the PS64 low pressure switch I will be installing in the engine for the circuit.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Attachments:
Date: April 06, 2020 06:36PM

Rick & I started bleeding the rear brakes and found issues that made us quit. Right rear bleeder was so rusted that it took a 3/8 drive ratchet and 3/8 socket to get it to come loose. The fluid that first come out of the bleeder was as brown as Jim Beam whiskey. We kept going until clear fluid was obtained. An attempt to loosen the left rear bleeder resulted in the bleeder snapping off the cylinder.

At this point, I told Rick I would renew/replace all four wheel cylinders before any further bleeding. I have a set of wheel cylinders that came with the van. I will open them up and ensure rust has not made them unusable.

Tomorrow will be another day to work on it.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 06, 2020 06:46PM

STEP BY STEP!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: April 06, 2020 07:00PM

Yes. Brakes worked but now I have to make sure it is right. Won't be long, I will be driving it on the road. With Donna riding or possibly driving it, I can't take any chances like when I was in my 20's.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Date: April 09, 2020 06:30PM

Another step forward. Got a set of wheel cylinders out and disassembled them. No rust in the bores. A quick hone, a polish of the pistons and a little Dot 3 for seal lubricant and they are back together. I don't have a plan on when I will get to them, but hopefully by Sunday.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Date: April 14, 2020 05:23PM

Best made plans to work on the van today went astray. Had to clean up from yesterday's engine dismantle first.

But I got the fuel pump replacement plug installed that I removed from the dismantled 80 hp engine. a very small step forward.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Date: April 15, 2020 05:47PM

Worked on front brakes of the van today. I got a few surprises for brakes that worked.

First photo shows right front brake assembly. Lots of scaly rust. Adjustor did not turn by fingers. I used the brake shoes to break it free, then it was fine. I decided to get out the FC brakes, drums, plates and hubs I bought from Jerry a couple years ago. Also the brake spring kit I had for sale.

Pulled the RH brakes off then went after the hub. PO had put cotter pin in until he couldn't get it any further. SO he decided to just bend remaining half still not inserted over the nut. WOW. What a bone head decision on his part. Pulled wheel cylinder and backing plate off van. Second photo shows what I found with both wheel cylinders when I took off the rubber caps. front brakes were probably never working. I don't see cylinders getting that way in 3 1/2 years, if they were working on my trip to bring it home. NOT rebuildable and will be thrown in scrap steel pile.

Disassembled LH brakes, hub and backing plates. Same scaly rust everywhere, but axle cotter pin was installed correctly.

Took all 4 hubs to see which ones were best to use as is. Answer NONE. 2 had bad seals. One had mixed red & black grease and the other had grey grease that smell like differential oil. All had been contaminated with brake particles. So all were disassembled to find best bearings. Only one inner bearing race was a mottled color indicating possible overheat. It was one with mixed grease and a seal that had wrinkles in the seal material. New seals were ordered with O'Reilly's and will be in tomorrow.

Backing plates, wheel cylinders and hoses were reinstalled with hardware Jerry provided with his parts. They were better than what came off.

So it was a good idea to replace the cylinders, before wasting a lot of time on any further bleeding we were attempting. This whole system was waiting for a failure and we never would have got the fronts bled. And if we did, the brakes would not have worked.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Attachments:

Posted by: CorvairHaven ()
Date: April 16, 2020 07:57PM

Lane66m
...One had mixed red & black grease and the other had grey grease that smell like differential oil...

Al, why is it not a good idea to mix different colored grease?

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: April 16, 2020 08:57PM

It's hard to get the ratio right so the colors match the other wheels.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Date: April 17, 2020 01:49AM

Different properties reacting to each other can degrade effectiveness of grease. If greases are produced to same military or SAE specification, no issue. But then they would also be the same color.

Below is something to read to give more info on the subject.

[www.bellperformance.com]

"Mixing incompatible greases can have dire consequences.  They may react together and cause a separation of the base oil or oils from the thickeners of the two greases.  When this happens, the base oil can no longer stay in place and you get a messy situation – oil oozing or running out of the area where it was applied.  You can probably guess the potential consequences that might follow from this happening."

Another good link discussing the issue. Not only the mixing the greas "Soap" can cause the issues.

[www.machinerylubrication.com]

And here is the Google search. Have fun reading. I had to deal with this issue at Gulfstream Aerospace numerous times talking to customers and what to do afterwards were mixed on an aircraft. Sometimes simple procedures to resolve sometimes expensive rebuilds.

[www.google.com]

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Date: April 17, 2020 01:54AM

Yesterday, picked up seals for front hubs at O'Reillys. I has had them turn 4 drums for the van. That was the last piece needed to make it a complete brake system renewal.shoes with 5000 miles from Jerry's Rampy may be used. I will clean up both sets and we which ones are best. Both front sets have lots of shoe material on them.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2020 01:56AM by Lane66m.

Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: April 17, 2020 02:01AM

Al,
GB becoming a 24/7 project?
Steve

Date: April 17, 2020 02:09AM

Yes, Steve. Trying to get it finished up. Brakes, gas tank & lines, electric fuel pump wiring then start it up and adjust. Then go through electrical systems for full operations. When complete, register& insure. Drive with For Sale signs in windows. Then onto Camaro interior.

Headed out to put front brakes on in about 20 minutes.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Date: April 17, 2020 05:32PM

Today was a day to start and stop fits working on the van. Went to put on the old shoes and couldn't find the ones I got from Jerry that have 5000 miles. Oh well, use the Van's shoes. No go. Pads are cracked too much to even think of using. So off Donna goes to get the ones O'Reillys in Garden City has while doing a prescription run. Second set will be ready after 1 pm at out local O'Reillys.

No problem got the Camaro headliner hung on the bows after fixing the sharks teeth on the middle bow brace. Even sort of stretch it with binder clips.

Got back to the brakes and found the pivot springs I have, which supposedly were for the van, are too short. Probably EM springs. More steel for the scrap bin. Another call to O'Reillys and spring kits will be there at 4:30 pm. Donna went to pick up spring kits and brake shoes. Wrong. Counter person never ordered them from the other store. Donna worked with person and they found other store did not have the kit for the van. Correct Raybestos H7017 & H7018 wheel hardware kits ordered and will be in tomorrow morning.

Then I went to use the hub grease seals the forgetful counter man got for me. Too Small. Another call while Donna was at O'Reillys and they could only special order their identified seal. Got my caliper out and asked for dimensions to compare data old seal. Heck no, it won't fit. Theirs is 2.7 versus the needed 2.4. Quick post to this forum to find a part number since all I was coming up was the small seal p/n. Thanks, Steve Goodman for the number. Found that Advance can have it Sunday, but pay first before ordering. To late to go tonight. Donna has the specs and p/ns. She said she will handle it, while I wire the fuel pump.

I gave up for the day working on anything.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Date: April 19, 2020 04:55PM

Picked up the seals for the front hubs. Installed one on the hub with bearings already greased. Repacked bearings on second hub and assembled hub, bearings and seal. Tapped cap on to keep outer bearing in place. Attachment hardware put in each zip bag with hub. They will be installed tomorrow after front brakes are finished up.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Date: April 20, 2020 05:28PM

No brakes today. Worked on Rick's Car and an Aero project he needed done. Then we got to the Greenbrier.

We made a fuel line for the right carb to go in the front section of the engine compartment to over by left carb. Tool a little doing using a mockup on the bench. We took a head, carb, right air leaner assembly and its support and the balance tube and assemble them on the bench to mock up the line. Once it was mocked up and fittings swaged on then the balance tube and new fuel line was installed on the engine. We had clearance where needed and routing was excellent. we even made a clamp to clamp it to the aft bolt on the balance tube mount.

More will be done tomorrow on fuel lines. In between, a couple of diseased trees will hit the ground.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Date: April 21, 2020 03:43PM

No trees hit the ground. Just some cleanup of the Monday tree felling and burning brush on the huge stumps from the January cuttings.

Rick & I got the main fuel line from the filter to the electric fuel pump made and installed. We finalized the line from the pump the left rear wheel well. Just need to install the filter , hose and clamps.

Engines line were made and configured to the front of the engine compartment. Nothing is tight yet, as I want to make similar lines for my 66 Monza Coupe this weekend.

I have got to get back to the brakes tomorrow.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Attachments:

Date: April 23, 2020 04:18PM

Got back to work on the Greenbrier on this rainy day. Installed front brakes and hubs. Adjusted brakes to where a rub was present but drum still would come off with minor pull.

Removed left rear drum and found similar rust issues and a cocoon. Removed all brake parts and cleaned up those to be reused. Cleaned up backing plate best I could. Installed all brake parts. Noticed the rear drum I had turned did not have a brake adjusting access hole or provisions to punch out a plate. Look at other drum and had same configuration. These are the ones I got from Jerry. Check the removed drum and a hole was there.

Tomorrow I will make holes in these turned drums, just like the other rear drums.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Attachments:
Current Page: 13 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.