Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 16 of 17
Re: Setting Up 64 Greenbrier Deluxe For Road Use
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: May 11, 2020 09:05AM

Just as bad to cut a panel hole to fix gauge issue initially..

Remove seat, cut hole, make a oversize panel to cover hole and find short metal screws (not a biggie) so they wont hit tank. But tank needs to be down, so you can put sticky (locating) foam onto top of sender and reinsert tank so foam can stick to floorboard to mark exact spot to make panel cut. Take tank down, mark stuck foam area, cut a hole with 1 inch larger radius than sender. Fix sender issue while out, put tank back in and install panel and seat. Even with a second tank to get measurements from and possibly mark the top of the floorboard. I would pull tank to do any cutting. Still doing more work in addition to pulling tank, just to fix gauge issue.

Since this is my last Greenbrier tank removal hopefully, I will forego that exercise.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: May 11, 2020 10:35AM

Sorry. I was thinking about a car. I wouldn't cut a hole either. Do FCs not have a dash harness connector like EMs?

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Date: May 11, 2020 12:24PM

Similar harness. But harness is not the issue. nor tank, nor gauge, nor grounds or power source. Issue is wrong part from Clark's.

Today, I pulled tank and looked in through filler hole and saw float bail wire was stuck at mid position on the unit. (see 1st photo). I took sender out and it was no longer stuck. I did a continuity check and got 0.0 at empty and 37.6 at full and it swept a good reading when I slowly moved it back to empty then back to full.

I put it back in and bail wire was at empty position. I used a wooden dowel and slowly moved bail wire up. It stopped at mid range. I pulled dowel and it dropped to empty.

I pulled it again and gathered up all old senders I had from the 2 tanks (Greenbrier's and Caveman Pete's tank). That is when I discovered Clark's shipped me a sender that could never work properly in the tank. Take a look at the second photo and see all the differences from Caveman Pete's tank sender to the other 2. 3rd photo shows what they sell for a 64-65 FC gas tank sender.

I have sent an email to Clark's asking them to send me the correct sender. So my quest to solve the gauge is thwarted by a wrong part from our vendor. I hope they make it right pretty quick.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2020 12:27PM by Lane66m.

Attachments:

Date: May 11, 2020 06:48PM

Further review of the Clark's photo of the FC sender shows it matches the one they sent me. This sender hit to top of the tank on the angle portion of the tank. It will never read full with this design, plus it sticks when it jams up against to of tank.

Rick stopped by to look over the situation. Seems the old sender from the Greenbrier tank is also the same design as the one I was shipped by Clark's. It has same issue as the new sender. So it appears it is a design issue or a improper manufacturing issue.

Rick looked at the original van sender and the old sender from Caveman Pete's tank. He decided the old van sender was usable, if a modification to the tube was done. Modification would be to bend tube so float, bail wire and sender are rotated about 30 degrees to allow float to swing in an arc from bottom right to upper left. Just like the original sender I got out of Caveman's Pete tank. Modification was done and bail wire positioned over tube like original sender.
Float had to be swapped to stay off tank bottom.

Old van sender was put back in tank and an ohm meter connected to check each end reading. A stiff wire was used to manipulate the bail wire from empty to full position. Float never touched tank in its swing. Ohm meter showed full throw and contacting stops as needed.

Waiting on Clarks but looks like their sender is the only one they deliver. We will be working on tank tomorrow to do final resolution. I wonder why others haven't complained about the sender or are they living with 1/2 tank to empty being ok.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Date: May 11, 2020 07:04PM

Here are the photos of the tube twist/bend we did to the van's old sender.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Attachments:

Date: May 13, 2020 04:51AM

Here is a photo I didn't post last week of the insulation I put on the bottom of the engine panel. It sure quiets down the level of engine noise in the van.

I have some left and will put it on the panel over the differential to quiet that noise down.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Attachments:
Date: May 13, 2020 05:44PM

Routed the new fresh air/heat cable. Changed out gas tank vent hose to a Gates Barricade hose. Figured do it now while I have it out again.

A couple emails with Clark's about the sender issue. No one has had issues just me. Surprise surprise. I thought that would be the response. They offered to send the same p/n sender and also the EM sender to help out. I am asking for photos of them first to save time. Twice now I have asked. I will have to wait until tomorrow to see what will happen. But they are declaring low staff so this is going to low priority to them, i believe. I just can't sit around and wait forever, so something will be done soon to solve issue.

Did other little things like polish radio knobs, installed a vertical ribbed trim panel on radio housing and glued in shift indicator lens in instrument panel.

Insulated access panel above differential. That should cut the road noise from that area, I have some aviation insulation I will use in rear side walls to help out in noise reduction from those areas

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Attachments:
Date: May 16, 2020 04:16PM

Today Rick was given the alternator we removed off the van due to loud squeak and a noise with the bushing end of the alternator when running. I also gave a rebuilt kit I bought for the alternator.

He got the alternator apart and when the bearing was removed from the drive end, he found what he called some aluminum foil shim. I guess the PO that fixed it was too cheap to buy the proper bearing for the unit, so he fitted what he had and made it work.

The replacement bearing had to be frozen and housing heated to get it installed.

This alternator will be going back on the Greenbrier after Rick has reassembled it.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Attachments:
Date: May 16, 2020 04:47PM

That's odd. Every time I've seen that it was because the case was worn out and the bearing was loose. Glad yours fit tight.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Date: May 18, 2020 04:53PM

Rick's explanation to me was not what he meant. The shim still had to be used due to housing wear. The needle bearing in other end was the one that was the interference fir installation.

He brought me back the alternator and right carb today. Carb was removed for a lean condition. A couple issues found and cleaned up/corrected. Since it has been a couple years since I went through them, I have asked him to also recheck the left carb, so we get the best performance out of this meek 80 hp engine.

I did get heater temp control cable run and the cable hooked to the controller and the heat door. I now need to find some clips to hold cables on.

I need to come up with a good method to keep the RNDL plastic legend plate on the shift lever. I don't think there are many shift levers with this plate attached available or good unbroken plates either.

Clark's and I came to an agreement on the issue with the gas tank sender. The modified new sender will stay in the tank, as I don't want to remove it again. Clark's will take my info on tanks and sender and have their techs investigate to see what happened in my case and see if it affects other kits.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Date: May 19, 2020 03:05PM

Installed push nuts onto heater box valve arm and heat controller arm. Snapped cable into is clamps under the van. (found out the retainers holding cable to levers are called push nuts, not retaining clips)

Installed right carb and hooked it up. Removed left carb and drained it. Boxed up and ready for Rick.

Gas tank still needs strap nuts tightened a little more. Hoses need clamps tightened and ground wire need to be connected.

Looked at shifter and legend. Also looked at instrument panel. Busy day with voting, running to town for the push nuts, watching the A/C tech do the annual inspection of the a/c unit and talking about guns. Couple other visitors stopped by.

Called it a day at 5:30 pm.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Date: May 20, 2020 06:19PM

Finished up gas tank hose install and ground wire connection.

Replaced black fuel hose at filter by left rear wheel with Gates Barricade hose. Connected right heat hose to heater box. Access panel laid in place. Will be fastened down after fuel pump has been operated and no leaks are at filter hoses.

Got most parts to replace worn out pieces in steering system. Idler arm should be headed to me in a couple days.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: May 20, 2020 06:56PM

Al, My FC gas gage tank unit that I had repaired 30 years ago, quit working a couple years ago. I to had to rework the new Clarks tank unit much like you did, Plus I replaced the (very likely to leak )white plastic float that it came with at the time with an (impossible to sink) closed cell plastic foam float taken from a late model car. They appear to be coming with brass floats now but I still leak test them before installing.

Dan Brizendine, Circle City Corvairs
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2020 06:57PM by Brizo.

Date: May 20, 2020 07:16PM

Dan: It looks like our 64 vans should be using the C12802E senders for some reason. Clarks list that sender for 61 - 63 FCs. What is the difference between 63 and 64 fuel tanks. I don't see how a tank that could allow a vertical swing float fit in the tank compartment. It would have to be 6" thicker at the angled portion. I did have a brass float on all three floats I was working with. 2 from the tanks and the new one. Now I have a tank and good sender I can sell off to someone need one.

Hopefully Clark's will get sender issue figured out before someone orders a kit and winds up with same issue

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Date: May 20, 2020 08:19PM

Are the senders different for the mid '63 up tank with the shifter hole?

Joel
Northlake, TX

Date: May 21, 2020 11:13AM

Al, I have the C12802 tank unit in my '64 PG Greenbrier. Did you see the "FC sender note" on Clarks catalog page 69 by the gas tank photos?

I just had to tweak my tube a little and the float was backward.

'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Date: May 21, 2020 04:31PM

I remembered today I had never posted the revised wiring schematic for the electric fuel pump control circuit I put in the van. I did not use an Airtex pump but one of those square pumps. I do have the 3 position switch for driver control of the pump when needed. Momentary for priming the pumps when needed and hard selected on for the limp home mode, if anything in the circuit fails, excluding the pump.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Attachments:
Date: May 22, 2020 02:52AM

Dan: I never saw that note. I ordered the ultimate kit without tank C12903N. I needed all the install parts to reinstall my original tank. The kit is on page MK-4.

The note you are referring to is on page 69 under the NEW tanks. It states "FC sender note: 1963-65 with hole through tank - you must use the “64-65 FC” sender unit; the 61-63 will not fit." That sender the note refers to is the C12802. Nothing informs buyers you need to modify the C12802 sender (bend pickup tube) to work inside the tank.

The old sender we did first modification test on was easy to do as its tube is mild steel. The new sender's tubes are stainless. Very hard to make the bend
needed to get it right to work in the tank.

Clark's is going to look into it. That is all we can ask. I think i will sit down at my computer and post a separate topic with all this info and photos. It may help someone in the future.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Date: May 22, 2020 04:01PM

I was wrong with gas tank installation. I forgot Donna did the best on the vent hose clamp at the tank. BUT she asked me to check it and tighten if needed. Pain in the butt this morning. I pulled on the vent hose and it started sliding off. Took me several attempt to figure out a way to tighten that one clamp. I wound up taking a 1/4 socket on a universal connected to a 6" 3 " extension then a ratchet. I was able to do 1/4 turns after the clamp became tight and rotated up slightly. So tank is done and 4 gallons of fuel added.

This morning I assembled new tie rods and new forward rod (drag link?) from steering gear box to the bellcrank (Boomerang). Painted them up nice and pretty. Remove old rods and installed new ones this afternoon. Still need to torque and cotter pin them.

Anyone know why the parts catalog shows a 3 piece forward rod, but van has a one piece rod (see photo)? Parts catalog did not give me the sleeve info for this rod, but I figured it out once I had the rod ends in hand and measurement of original rod.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Attachments:

Date: May 23, 2020 04:55PM

I don't know why--may have been a production change. My '64 FC is one piece. But the three piece rod would sure make it a cinch to center the steering wheel!!

Current Page: 16 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.