Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Corvair Help Map - Volunteers Needed
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: February 27, 2017 08:19AM

I sent my information and got on the map. I didn't know it existed and I'd like to say thanks to Rob for his time doing it.
I also have a CORSA membership roster but it's from 2005. There must be a more recent one available and I should get on the stick. I wonder how recent?
I belong to Corvair Minneota and CORSA. I pay an additional $50 a year to be on the inside back cover of the Communique 5 times because I like being part of it. The tangible return on investment is a tad slim but the intangibles are probably good.
I'm not on Facebook, perhaps some day soon, I tend to be about 10 years behind the times. If I broke down, I would not be able to search for someone on my phone, I believe it's a Lingonberry.
Now that I think about it, I also need Volume 3 of the Tech Guide, my Volume 1 and Volume 2 are well worn.
A good rule of thumb is not "what can I get out of it?" but rather "what can I do to help contibute?". John Kennedey said something similar back when our Corvairs were new. I think Rob is doing something to contribute, albeit not in the same way some folks would do it.
We should be nice.
Sometimes all we have to contribute is our presence and we are quite surprised when we get back way more than we imagined possible. I have thoroughly enjoyed decades spent hanging around with the Corvair old farts and their old ladies. <grin>
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jcorvair ()
Date: February 27, 2017 12:20PM

I don't even carry a roster anymore, I just pull up the CORSA site on my phone and search the directory for people close to me if I need help. That said, I have only had to use the directory once and was able to find someone in a small town in Manitoba (while driving to Virginia for the 1994 convention) right where I was stuck and he met me, guided me over to his place and we worked on diagnosing my car's bad oil leak. He had a fully restored 60 that his father had owned and a '66 turbo vert he was planning to restore. I am sure glad I had the roster with me that trip.

James
West Kelowna, BC

1965 Corvair, Corsa, Convertible 180/4 - Artesian Turquoise w/ white interior
1966 Corvair Corsa Coupe, 140/4 - Aztec Bronze w/ black interior
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Turbo
2016 Dodge 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 (for hauling cars, trailers, fifth wheels, quads, etc.)
2013 Victory Car Hauler (enclosed)
2019 Express Car Hauler (Aluminum, Enclosed)
2015 Polaris 570 EPS
2016 Polaris 570 SP
2017 Corvette Z06 Convertible
2019 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Ltd.
2020 Corvette HTC 3LT,Z51,FE4 (on order)

Date: February 27, 2017 01:13PM

I think the thing that aggravates me the most at the moment is I'm getting a lot of naysayers about the map I've spent a lot of time working on. Apparently the CORSA is enough and everyone who owns a Corvair should be a member and have the roster available in their hand at any given moment.

Sorry, that's not good enough for me. I want people to get the help they need.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1968 Monza Coupe 140 4-speed Posi

Rob Hentschel
Chebanse, IL

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: February 27, 2017 03:27PM

There are benefits being a club member. Sorry, that is just a fact of life.
We all still try to help EVERYONE but a lot of people are simply helpless. Some can't even help themselves. It's great you are trying to help. But it does not take much to benefit from being a club member as Jim has pointed out. Of course people can also just pay someone for the help they need. It is called the service industry.
I do not work on Corvairs (just my own) but am willing to help those in need if they came to my shop. But I am not willing to work for them on their Corvairs.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: February 28, 2017 02:28AM

Rob, I appreciate your efforts. Thanks for your time. It's cool to go on the map and see all the balloons of Corvair people.
I talked to a guy recently who was in Omaha buying a Rampside and picking it up with a trailer. It's his first Corvair and he was curious if he could find someone to work on it if needed and did a Google search on his phone. He was surprised to find me 10 miles from his home in Stacy, MN. I talked to him about the Corvair club and he said he's "not much of a joiner".
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: February 28, 2017 09:41AM

Maybe work with Corsa to use their members, those who want to participate, in your map? Corsa might ask that anyone who needs help, join Corsa as part of the payment for services and you get a national list of helpers. Joint projects like this can be beneficial to all involved. Corsa national and even local chapters can benefit, as can Corvair owners. Keeping it to emergency services would limit the amount of work to do and adding owners to Corsa can give them the local contacts they need to learn about the cars or get help in their projects. I am far from the most knowledgeable in my area but there are those who are really experts and very helpful. Not all are Forum members though so you may not be reaching them.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: cepak ()
Date: February 28, 2017 10:47AM

SyntheticBlinkerFluid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the thing that aggravates me the most at
> the moment is I'm getting a lot of naysayers about
> the map I've spent a lot of time working on.
> Apparently the CORSA is enough and everyone who
> owns a Corvair should be a member and have the
> roster available in their hand at any given
> moment.
>
> Sorry, that's not good enough for me. I want
> people to get the help they need.

I agree with your assessment. I was a member of CORSA for 7 years and a member of a local club for 11 years. There was nothing wrong with CORSA, other than the magazine, it just wasn't my cup of tea. I had no plans on ever attending a convention because my family wasn't into my hobby, and going on vacations to other destinations as a family was and always will be a higher priority for me. I stayed a member of the local club for a while longer, paying the higher dues because I was not a member of CORSA. I'm sure the local club was just fine, but on the rare event that I ever attended (probably 4 times in 11 years), out of around 100 members, there would be only a handful of Corvairs at the meetings. The meetings were always first Saturday of the month starting at 2pm. I guess if you're not married, no kids, your kids have left home, a retired guy, or someone that actually has free time on the weekends, an hour drive to a meeting which would take up the majority of your day off would probably been OK. But I guess it wasn't my cup of tea either.

I guess I refuse to join a club that would have me as a member.

Tom
DFW, TX

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: February 28, 2017 11:56AM

Edward Gault, Precision Automotive Service Inc. 361 E. Floyd Baker Blvd. Gaffney, S.C. 29340 869-489-1779 www.precisionautomotive.org Over 40 years experience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2017 11:57AM by irfgt.

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: February 28, 2017 01:34PM

I don't know that I get a huge amount out Of CORSA or my local club but I usually pay more to fill my tank at the gas station than the dues to either or even both combined, I've been a member since owning a Corvair however long that's been. I go to conventions when I can and it's close enough and hosted somewhere I want to go, how's that?
For me the biggest advantage Corvair owners have over all other brands I've seen is the shows, both convention and shows hosted by local chapters are awesome. Who else has these kind of gatherings as often as us? I go to as many as I can swing within six hours or so and if there's an autocross I'll take a Corvair, no autocross probably just wife, myself and dog.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: CorvairHaven ()
Date: March 01, 2017 07:31PM

Timothy Shortle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They would need a big venue for that meeting.
> Standing room only. I guess we all have to face
> the fact "the times they are a changing" (written
> in 1963 ?).

Lyrics:
Come gather around people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone
And if your breath to you is worth saving
Then you better start swimming or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changing

Come writers and critics
Who prophesize with your pen
And keep your eyes wide
The chance won't come again
And don't speak too soon
For the wheel's still in spin
And there's no telling who that it's naming
For the loser now will be later to win
Cause the times they are a-changing

Come senators, congressmen
Please heed the call
Don't stand in the doorway
Don't block up the hall
For he that gets hurt
Will be he who has stalled
There's the battle outside raging
It'll soon shake your windows and rattle your walls
For the times they are a-changing

Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is rapidly aging
Please get out of the new one if you can't lend your hand

The line it is drawn
The curse it is cast
The slowest now
Will later be fast
As the present now
Will later be past
The order is rapidly fading
And the first one now will later be last

Bob Dylan

A little prophecy and a lot of truth...

Date: March 02, 2017 07:37AM

For those who have messaged me lately, I travel for work, so I haven't been able to add you. I will do so once I get home.

Hopefully one of these days, one of the mods will make this a sticky. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rob Hentschel
Chebanse, IL

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 02, 2017 08:17AM

I'll put it in the FAQ's

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: March 02, 2017 11:24AM

smileys with beer

Rob Hentschel
Chebanse, IL

Posted by: Cfred ()
Date: April 04, 2019 09:29PM

Are you still updating the Corvair help list ??

I live off the I-10 Interstate in Palm Desert, and people do get stuck anywhere.

Fred Bailey
grandpafred60@aol.com

Fred
Palm Desert, CA

62 Monza Wagon, still in progress
62 Monza Wagon, 4 spd, w/ rust
65 4 door Monza 110 PG good survivor/driver

Posted by: jamesolefjensen ()
Date: April 05, 2019 06:08AM

James Jensen
San Mateo, CA
jamesolefjensen@yahoo.com

James
65 Corsa

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: April 05, 2019 08:41PM

A number of years ago, I got a request for help getting a Corvair started that hadn't run for a long time. I stopped by to offer assistance, but the fellow that owned it was looking for free labor, and had no thoughts about getting his hands dirty, or learning anything about how an internal combustion engine worked. I politely gave him a few suggestions, and suggest that he do some reading to learn more about his car. I doubt that he ever got the car running, and he wasn't bashful to say that he didn't want to spend any money on the car. Today, I barely have enough energy to work on my own cars.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: April 05, 2019 09:10PM

I thought the idea was to have someone to call if you got stranded somewhere like the GMC motorhome black list.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Whale460 ()
Date: January 10, 2020 10:45PM

I'm no professional mechanic by any means, but I have been a Corvair guy since the '70's, and I can do just about anything Corvair at this point. I'm driving an UltraVan and a '64 convertible, I have a lot of spare parts, a lot of tools, and room to work on things. I'm on I-15, 80 miles north of Las Vegas, and always willing to help a Corvair driver in distress.
Best contact is whale460@yahoo.com

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: January 11, 2020 03:25AM

Note to Rob Hentschel aka SyntheticBlinkerFluid, you can add my name and address (can be found in the CORSA directory) to the list. My location is just a short mile off Rt. 30 west of Mansfield, Ohio.

On the related thread:

I once had two friends locally who both absolutely refused to join the local or national club, yet always leaned on me every time they needed help or did things the hard way, then complain about it. So I never felt sorry for them, even if they were good friends. They were always in desperate need of parts, while I always had what I needed and more. And all because I DO belong to the clubs. I wouldn't have had half the stuff I've had were it not for the clubs. That's something non-joiners don't understand.

I'm a joiner, and cannot fathom why so many of the younger generation aren't joiners. They haven't learned that Google doesn't know everything, and that even lies can get posted on the net. Worse, people often believe that stuff, because it was on the net. It's amazing how gullible people are, which is why the world is in such bad shape.

I'm just glad I'm a senior, because I won't be around to have to clean up the mess, or have to re-educate and/or re-train them.

-Mark

Posted by: Darrin ()
Date: January 11, 2020 05:26AM

Why so much harping on younger people? Seriously, every old guy in history has said what you guys are saying about the previous generation.

With their noses in their phones they are COMMUNICATING WITH OTHER PEOPLE. They are not anti social, just doing it differently.

I submitted mine by PM as well.

Darrin

Darrin Hartzler
Bethesda, MD/Catlett, VA

Northern Virginia Corvairs & Group Corvair

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.