Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Corvair Help Map - Volunteers Needed
Date: July 03, 2016 08:15AM

So I am finding that there are a lot of new people to Corvairs (and some people who've owned a Corvair for a while) and they need more hands on help than over-the-net verbal help, but have no clue who is near them that could lend a hand or possible shops that may be able to work on Corvairs.

I have already started a Google Map and have gotten a huge response from the Corvair Owners Group on Facebook, however we could use more people. If you are competent and confident with your ability to help fellow Corvair owners out, then what I need is your name, town you reside, and either an email address or Facebook link (whichever is easier to get a hold of you with). This is a public map, so I don't want to add phone numbers or addresses, but if you really want your phone number on there, I will add it. You need to provide me some form of contact if you want your name added. Just reply to this thread and I will let you know when you've been added. If I don't get contact info, I will not add you until I do.

Also, if you know of shops or folks that that will repair Corvairs for a cost and don't see it on the map, please give me that info so I can add it.

I AM AWARE THERE IS A CORSA DIRECTORY, NOT EVERYONE IS A CORSA MEMBER

Please help out your fellow Corvair owners and help preserve and keep these cars on the road! This map will also work with Google Maps on smart phones.

CORVAIR HELP MAP

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Corvair Help Map - Volunteers Needed
Posted by: 63vert ()
Date: July 03, 2016 08:32AM

Pm sent

Rockingham, NC

1962 Greenbrier
65 110 4speed

Posted by: 2manyvairs2fix ()
Date: July 03, 2016 10:20AM

PM sent

Rod Kennen- In Newton, NC
42 years in collision and restoration.
Corvair fixation since 1977
Member of CORSA and NC Mountain Corvairs
1966 Corsa A/C coupe- Mechanically repaired driver
1966 Corsa "140" conv. former Crown project
1969 Monza "110/4" conv. 4280 original miles.
Finally in process- body panels fitted by late spring 2020

Posted by: Westds ()
Date: February 24, 2017 10:24AM

Are you still interested in adding to your map?
I am from the Sacramento CA area and our club members would like to help.
We have two members and one Corvair repair shop to add to your map.

Posted by: stabac ()
Date: February 24, 2017 01:37PM

EXCELLANT IDEAthumbs up I WILL BE ADDING SHORTLY
FRANK

Frank
Just Enough Knowledge To Get Myself In Trouble
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1963 SPYDER TURBO CPE
Grandson #2

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: February 24, 2017 05:08PM

Maybe that is a very good reason to become a member of the local Corvair club as well as to join the mother club CORSA. I am in Durango Colorado.

Date: February 24, 2017 05:23PM

Timothy Shortl
"Maybe that is a very good reason to become a member of the local Corvair club"

What if the local Club doesn't fit your needs, where do you go then?

Frank
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1963 SPYDER TURBO CPE
Grandson #2

Date: February 24, 2017 11:01PM

Boy I don't know Frank as all my needs have been met. My 3 local clubs that I belong to are 300 miles to the north, 300 miles to the east, and almost 300 miles to the south. I suppose you could try the national club and see if your needs could be met there.

Date: February 25, 2017 04:02PM

Timothy Shortle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe that is a very good reason to become a
> member of the local Corvair club as well as to
> join the mother club CORSA. I am in Durango
> Colorado.

You have to understand that the Car Club as we know it is slowly dying, across the board, no matter what make or model. I have talked to many Corvair owners that have no interest in being a part of a club but have no problem being a part of an online forum. Younger people as well have no interest in being a part of a physical club. We can always say "Join your local Club" or "Join CORSA", that's the easy button. The truth is that people are needing help immediately and don't want to hunt down a club directory or wait for a call back from someone to find out if another person they don't know can help them. This is all coming from a person who has been a member of CCE (Chicagoland Corvair Enthusiasts) since I was born and I'm 35 now.

This map is to cut out the BS and help people that need the help. It's up to them if they want to join a club, but we shouldn't sit here and ignore people who need help.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1968 Monza Coupe 140 4-speed Posi

Rob Hentschel
Chebanse, IL

Date: February 25, 2017 04:04PM

Westds Wrote:
> Are you still interested in adding to your map?
> I am from the Sacramento CA area and our club
> members would like to help.
> We have two members and one Corvair repair shop to
> add to your map.

Yes I am. Especially for SoCal, because I have seen an influx of people there looking for help lately. Hit me up with a PM.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1968 Monza Coupe 140 4-speed Posi

Rob Hentschel
Chebanse, IL

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: February 26, 2017 08:25AM

With all due respect to the thoughts of SyntheticBlinkerFluid (Rob Hentschel), I'd like to say that the reason organizations from car clubs to the Moose, Elks, Masons, Rotary, etc. are loosing members is because much of the younger generations are simply NOT JOINERS.

Their reasoning is as Rob points out, but it is flawed reasoning. Proof of that flaw is that they also recognize that they lack the level of social skills that are possessed by the older generations (the ones that joined such organizations). They think they can get all they need off the internet and, by using their gadgets and gizmos, they can somehow "socialize" by typing away on a tiny keyboard. Yet they complain about such lack of skills and don't have a clue as to how to get them.

What's wrong with this picture? you may ask. What's wrong is that gadgets and gizmos can never give you the social skills that face-to-face organizations do. And those lost souls in the younger generations don't realize that. Worse still, you can't tell them that, either.

Now what I just wrote was painted with a broad brush, so was not meant to demean anyone, nor refer to anyone in particular, and I hope everyone realizes that and won't take it personally. I don't intend to offend anyone, but rather explain the situation, as I see it, in plain language.

The simple cure for this situation is for these lost souls to wake up to reality and find out what they've been missing, that personal contact is something that only clubs and organizations can provide. Then get themselves out there and JOIN something.

Just my humble observations. Your mileage may differ.

-Mark

Posted by: rowin4 ()
Date: February 26, 2017 08:44AM

How many here have children and grand children come over for a visit and just set and look at their phones, no conversation , just looking to find someone to type something to or hoping someone might send them some sort of tweet. I went to a concert this weekend , there were more people looking at their phones than watching/listening to the music. I thought what a sad world we have become. This new generation of phone holders doesn't know how to communicate in any other way. Maybe if those organizations had tweet meeting maybe they would get someone to join.

Date: February 26, 2017 08:47AM

They would need a big venue for that meeting. Standing room only. I guess we all have to face the fact "the times they are a changing" (written in 1963 ?).

Posted by: Murphy ()
Date: February 26, 2017 09:40AM

I have to agree with the above comments. Conversation is going to be a lost art...because the cell phone generation bury their noses in them.

I think a lot of people bury their face in a phone because they have no social skills.

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe-W100181
Earliest '61?

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: February 26, 2017 11:21AM

Murphy Wrote:
> I have to agree with the above comments.
> Conversation is going to be a lost art...because
> the cell phone generation bury their noses in
> them.
>
> I think a lot of people bury their face in a phone
> because they have no social skills.

Steve sez: the opposite is true too; NO social skills have been developed because face is buried in cell phone.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: Am-Iron ()
Date: February 26, 2017 02:05PM

I am on the map already but wanted to chime in on this subject.

I am a member of Several CORSA chapters and I can not blame the lack of joining on the generation that is coming along. I have no cell phone. CORSA and many of it's chapters,are resting on their past. I have tried several times to contact CORSA, a few chapters that I am a member of, and some I am not, only to get crickets. There is no response to emails. No response when having issues, no response for help near them..... nothing. This has happened at least ten times to me. I could not get on the V8 registry forum recently, it is difficult, cumbersome, you have to fill out a form to email them, then no response. I received no less then 4 emails to re join the group so they could get the money, but when I would like some help...... just saying. CORSA is the same way I have offered to help and and it is a political, bureaucratic, organization that turned at some point from being about what is in the bylaws, to thinking they have a monopoly and will just rest on their laurels.

As easy as it is to point fingers, sometimes we have to look in the mirror. What can we do to make it more inviting? Most chapters are breakfast clubs. These young people want to learn about the cars they enjoy, they would like help to get it on the road. We can not do that at Golden Corral. I can not remember the last tune up we have had where there was actual work on a members car. I would like to say that I live in Colorado Springs, CO. if there is anyone near here that needs parts or help please contact me. (my phone number is in my signature at the bottom of this post) Let's get you going and maybe we can make it to a meeting in our Corvairs.

I will keep trying to help but it is difficult talking to a wall. I encourage people more than CORSA does to join. I hope they come around and get back to what's important, the members and the Corvair. How many times would you go back to a place that will not even answer an email?

Respectfully,
Allen Amrine

1965 Monza road race build, 1965 Corsa Convertible, 1961 Lakewood, 1964 Rampside
Facebook Groups:
Corvair Racers [www.facebook.com]
Corvair Owners Group [www.facebook.com]
Corvair Trader [www.facebook.com]
Allen Amrine Colorado Springs, CO. 303-325-5968

Date: February 26, 2017 03:14PM

Allen, you put it very well, you're my kind of guy. In fact so much my kind, what are you doing next weekend? I live in Milwaukee and I'll drive down just to meet/work with you!!smileys with beer

Frank
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1963 SPYDER TURBO CPE
Grandson #2

Posted by: Murphy ()
Date: February 26, 2017 03:19PM

steve c goodman Wrote:
> Murphy Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I have to agree with the above comments.
> > Conversation is going to be a lost
> art...because
> > the cell phone generation bury their noses in
> > them.
> >
> > I think a lot of people bury their face in a
> phone
> > because they have no social skills.
>
> Steve sez: the opposite is true too; NO social
> skills have been developed because face is buried
> in cell phone.

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe-W100181
Earliest '61?

Posted by: Am-Iron ()
Date: February 26, 2017 03:26PM

stabac Wrote:
> Allen, you put it very well, you're my kind of
> guy. In fact so much my kind, what are you doing
> next weekend? I live in Milwaukee and I'll drive
> down just to meet/work with you!!smileys with beer

My (garage) door is always open! I will be working on my newly acquired Lakewood, or I would really like to re seal a 140 I have sitting around to get it ready for one of my other cars. I am also cleaning the shop to make it more hospitable for future work. There is a always plenty to do around here! I keep cold beverages available for after the work is done too!

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: February 27, 2017 06:06AM

Allen, you and everyone else are certainly welcome in my garage, in the Air 'Vair Group meeting, and in the Stock Corvair Group meeting and evaluation event. But like the saying goes, you get out of it what you put into it. Last year I was in charge (by default) the SCG meeting and event, and at the meeting I asked for and got a number of people to help with the event. In that respect, we all got out of it what we were willing to put into making it possible (and my hat is off to those who helped). In fact, the degree of help was actually almost more than I could direct and coordinate. But we all worked hard at it, had a good time, and got a lot done. I'm hoping that we have the same result this year, and that we are able to build on it.

I think a lot of the problem people run into is that they expect things to be handed to them, while they sit back and don't engage with anyone in the process. That is where social skills come into play. And that is why so many people may be disillusioned about organizations. Then too, I will admit it's a two way street. There has to be some efforts on the part of the organization, but it all has to be tied together by those social skills.

Food for thought....

-Mark

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.