Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
looking for pictures
Posted by: Chris ()
Date: February 21, 2005 07:12AM

I'm starting the body work on my '64 Monza 'vert, I've started to think about interior colors. The car will be Palomar Red, it currently has a black interior which needs replacing, but I think I would like to put a saddle interior and top on it when it's done. Does anyone have any pictures of this color combination they could post to give me an idea what it may look like when I'm finished.

Thanks,
Chris
NTCA
CORSA
'64 Monza 'vert

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: looking for opinions
Date: February 23, 2005 05:55AM

Ok, it's been a couple of days since I've requested pictures, maybe nobody has any.
Now I'm looking for opinions, surely someone must have at least one of these.

What do y'all think about Palomar Red with saddle top and interior.

Keep in mind that I'm in Texas and the car currently has a black interior with a white top, I think that the sadddle would be much cooler than the black.

Thanks
Chris
NTCA
CORSA
'64 Monza 'vert

Posted by: Shaun ()
Date: February 23, 2005 06:14AM

Why not keep the black painted panels, carpet and dash and go with white door panels and upholstery? This combo was offered in Late Models and looks very good.

Re: looking for pictures
Posted by: steve goodman ()
Date: February 23, 2005 06:19AM

Hello Chris: I figured someone would chime in before now. I don't think the Palomar red/saddle would be a common combination in 1964, in other words; I doubt that too many would pick that color combination. Personally I think it would look good.

Now to opinions (which are like belly buttons), I would think about a cloth insert in the seats, maybe a vinyl on the edge but cloth in the middle where your butt would be. The cloth obviously would be cooler and I think it probably wears better too. You can find 'tweed' type colors where reds/blacks/whites are all mixed together or just a grey like most of the new cars. If you finished your door panels with a stripe of the same material mixed with the vinyl the look would be carried throughout the car.

As you requested: my opinion only.

Regards, Steve

Posted by: Tom C ()
Date: February 23, 2005 06:24AM

Chris,

A guy sent me some digital photo's of a '64 Monza Convert he was trying to sell me. I'm not sure if it is Palomar red, but it is red with a saddle or camel colored interior. It looks good, it just isn't my favorite combination. I'll send myself an email to my home account to remind me to get these for you. My dad is having surgery today, so it will be a couple of days till I can get to it.

As far as my opinion on color combinations with red, here are my preferences (please, no one be offendedwinking smiley

1) Red with Black interior, black top (it looks more sporty to me)
2) Red with red interior, black top
3) Red with saddle/camel interior, saddle top

After installing a white interior in the '68 VW Beetle I had, I'd never go white again. It got dirty easily and it showed it.

What color combination does my '63 vert have? It is white with a red interior, white top. It doesn't look bad but it isn't my favorite either. I think I might paint it the goldish metallic color like on the cover of the book "Corvair by Chevrolet, Experimental & Production Cars 1957 - 1969", and leave the interior red, go with a black top.

Tom C

Date: February 23, 2005 08:03AM

Tom,

I hope everything goes well for your dad.

Palomar Red is a very deep red almost maroon color. The corsa corvair website has factory paint chips from every year Corvair.

[www.corvaircorsa.com]

Chris
NTCA
CORSA
'64 Monza "vert

450SL
Posted by: Russell ()
Date: February 23, 2005 08:55AM

Red/saddle was wildly popular on the SL models in 70-80s. Tons built. Looks sharp to me.

Date: February 23, 2005 11:44AM

Chris,

Here are a couple of photos I found on Clark's website.

Tom C

Attachments:

Date: February 23, 2005 11:59AM

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: February 23, 2005 03:51PM

Those are HUGE pics of a beautiful car!

Date: February 24, 2005 05:17AM

Tom,

The car looks great, I'm jealous, mine doesn't look near that nice, at least not yet anyway. I hope that when I finish mine will look at least half as nice as yours. Are you planing on putting Antique tags on it?

Chris
NTCA
CORSA
'64 Monza 'vert

Date: February 24, 2005 06:19AM

Photo's are deceiving. The paint looks good when standing 10 or more feet away, but the closer you get the more flaws you see. I was told that it was repainted around 15 years ago. They didn't do a very good job. There are runs and overspray in several places (they didn't remove any of the chrome before painting). They didn't sand the old paint down to the metal, nor did they shoot primer or sand it down well, so some of the paint is uneven. All I did was wash it, buff it a bit, and put on a high gloss wax. Granted, I could wait a while before repainting, but I probably won't.

Chris, if you take your time (a long time) and do the prep work properly, your car will look tons better than mine. When I painted my VW Beetle, I think I spent 4 days (4 to 5 hours a day) priming and sanding. During this process I also shot a coat of gloss black paint so I could see all the flaws and correct them before I shot the final color. This may not be the best way to paint a car, but it is the way I did it and it turned out pretty well. My biggest problem came when shooting the darn clear coat. I kept getting runs, then I'd have to let it dry, sand the run area off while not getting into the color, then reshoot the clear. I think next time I'd not use 3 stage paint and just color sand between coats. But I'm no paint expert so take anything I've said with a grain of salt.

As far as putting Antique plates on the car, my answer is no. Progressive gave me a good rate for Stated Value Insurance for a pleasure vehicle ($230 every 6 months), and there are no mileage limitations. So I just registered it with the tax office as a normal vehicle. That way I can drive it anytime I darn well choose and I don't have to worry about mileage limits.

Tom C

Date: February 24, 2005 07:22AM

Tom,

As far as taking my time, I've been working 2 years on it so far and only drove it for the first time last month, so if it takes me a few months to get the body work done I'm ok with that. I just want to make it look as good as I possibily can when I'm done.

Now as far as the Antique tags and insurance go, I will go with one of the classic car insurers, and antique tags. The main reasons for Antique tags is that Antique tags are $50/5yrs vs regular $50-60/1yr. The reason for classic car insurance is $100/yr vs your rate $460/yr.

As to mileage restrictions, I too was worried about that but I've been told by friends that the classic car insurers dont do mileage audits. The other point on Antique tags is the laws states that the vechile must be driven to a club event, parade, or to promote public intrest. If I'm driving my corvair I'm promoting public intrest. If you dont feel comfortable with that I will vouch that you and I just meet for (lunch, dinner) as members of the same club this was a club function. Rules were meant to be twisted.

Chris
NTCA
CORSA
'64 Monza 'vert

Posted by: David Bugea ()
Date: February 24, 2005 06:51PM

Chris, you're right that most insurers no longer do mileage audits. The only possible catch is that your mileage will be noted if you ever have a claim, and it can have some definite ramifications.

In my case I made an honest mistake several years ago when insuring my daily driver; I was working from home as a consultant and accepted a job 25 miles away. I honestly forgot to notify my insurance company and was "caught" a few years later when I filed a claim. The only consequence in my case was a rate increase to accurately reflect the amount I was driving. I've never heard of anyone having a claim refused or getting dropped in these circumstances, but who knows?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.